Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

DiamondMan Half Roll Call
CREATED: 08/25/10 by abbyjs REPLIES: 11
abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
DiamondMan Half Roll Call
POSTED: 8/25/10 12:01 PM

Yes, a pretty unpopular choice because a) it's the same day as Nations and b) it's not "M-Dot" branded...

But there are 8 people who claim to be DC Tri on the registrant list. :)

Hollaback, now!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 454
RE: DiamondMan Half Roll Call
POSTED: 8/25/10 12:40 PM

In for the second straight year. I am going back to exact revenge on the swim course. It got the better of me last year, but fresh off my "blazing" Ironman swim I expect a "fast" swim. :-)

POSTED: 8/25/10 12:48 PM

Tell me about the swim! Swims often kill me...

And, I'm curious if we're going to be allowed to wear wetsuits... that pond looks shallow!

POSTED: 8/25/10 8:29 PM

The pond is actually a decent sized lake. Let's keep our fingers crossed for wetsuits!

tatuskocs's ravatar tatuskocs    JOINED: 9/2/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 8/26/10 11:42 AM

I've done the race three times... great being able to camp out at the site of the tri, wake up and walk over to the start....it's a nice local, flat 1/2 IM. Friendly people and flat course.

Swim: Big lake, I have worn a shorty for two of the three event, the third time the swim was canx due to bad bugs/germs in the H2O. It's a muddy bottom at the start. You will walk in from a boat ramp, expect (but hope you don't) sink up to your knees in muck. Think of it as a mud bath. That lasts about 30 yards until you can swim above it. Remember the mud on your return to the boat ramp on exit, try to swim into the ramp as far as you can before you stand. Water is cool, and flat all the times I have been in there. Dark goggles may help, because when you turn around at the far buoy and start your return leg, the sun will be right above the swim exit. Hard to spot your reference to keep your swimming line true. I remember taking a second in the water after the turnaround to spot a big tree and used that the rest of the way in (I normally swim with clear goggles). Other than that, not a bad swim overall.

Enjoy the bike, very nice area to ride. Watch out of the RR tracks, I've seen some wipe outs in the area...and a bunch of water bottles flying around because of excess speed (I'm guilty of that one myself).

Run...flat, but can get toasty if you catch a warm day. You are running down on the canal path, so you won't pick up much of a breeze and there is very little shade. Plenty of hydration stops though.

Enjoy the event.
Cheers
Collin

POSTED: 8/26/10 3:18 PM

And don't forget about crossing Reedy Point Bridge in both directions. It can be a little tricky!!

tatuskocs's ravatar tatuskocs    JOINED: 9/2/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 8/26/10 4:33 PM

Good point on the bridge. Not super tough/high grade, but longer than normal and a great view (I have never had wind issues either). I have maintained 19-21 MPH average over this bike course every year and just spun up the bridge...so my advice is to not kill yourself going up. There is plenty of open road/flat on the course to make up awhat little time might be lost on the bridge (if they matters). Watch out for the packs. Have seen a bunch of them riding past me (I'm a fast swimmer, but OK biker...so the packs of bikers..yes drafting...have blown by me doing 25-26+ MPH). I just get out of the way.

Cheers
Collin

POSTED: 8/30/10 1:55 PM

I drove out and biked the course at the beginning of August. Certainly, Reedy Point Bridge isn't that steep, but it's one of few times when you can get your butt out of the saddle! This course has a whole lotta windy flats to grind.

There was construction on Rt. 71 that Neil Semmel assured me (that DDOT assured him) would be done before race day.

Come on overnight lows! Bring us some wetsuit-legal pondwater temperatures!!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1045
POSTED: 8/30/10 2:44 PM

Back in the day (June 1991) when there was the Bud Light Triathlon Series, I recall one time at Lums Pond State Park that a train came through and held up a bunch of the pros. They were not happy about that. Good luck to everyone!

POSTED: 9/01/10 4:00 PM

Direct from the Director:

"Construction on 71 is complete and is beautiful.

Wetsuits – I doubt it as it’s been around 85 in this heat. But if it cools off and we take temperature on race morning and if it’s 78 or less, wetsuits will be a go."

BLAST!!!

POSTED: 9/13/10 4:33 PM

My first-ever race report (it's interactive!!)... I posted it to my blog.

http://thefireinsideofyou.blogspot.com/2010/09/diamondman-half-ironman-abbys-first.html

If you wander onto my other rantings, don't hold it against me.

--Abby

POSTED: 9/13/10 6:06 PM

Great race report and awesome race. You looked so strong when we crossed on the run course!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria