DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Wet Suit Optional Opinions...
CREATED: 08/25/10 by bad ford REPLIES: 18
bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
Wet Suit Optional Opinions...
POSTED: 8/25/10 3:10 PM

Well,

This year IMs dropped the temperature cutoff for wetsuits from 78F to 76F. As of mid-August the temperature at the site of IM Wisconsin was 76-77F.

So it looks like the thermometer will read in that range where you're allowed to wear them if you want, but you can't get any prizes or whatever.

I can't get any prizes anyway because I'm slow, but I wondered what people thought about wearing the suit in that temperature range. Part of me thinks it's pansy to wear it if everyone else isn't; part of me thinks I don't like cold water.

Brad.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
RE: Wet Suit Optional Opinions...
POSTED: 8/25/10 3:20 PM

In 2008 (which was also a hot year), the forum sites were buzzing about the water temperature at Wisconsin. But by race day the water was well below 78 (and 76) degrees and it was wetsuit legal. The race is actually a few later this year and it really starts to cool off fast up in Wisconsin.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 8/25/10 3:26 PM

FYI, the beach at Lake Monona was 79 degrees on Monday. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this too.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1320
POSTED: 8/25/10 4:05 PM

If it's within the rules, I see nothing wrong with it. When they put that medal around your neck at the finish line, it does not say "pansy."

Also keep in mind that some races have a zero wetsuit policy when it's above the podium cutoff (76/78). Eagleman is a classic example this year. IM Germany also has a no wetsuit rule for everyone regardless if they are trying to podium or not when the water temp is above 76. It might be a good idea to ask during the expo or via email beforehand.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1320
POSTED: 8/25/10 4:14 PM

Also, people see nothing wrong with riding with an aero tri bike, climb hills with a compact, ride with zipp disc/wheels, aero helmet, speedsuit, race flats shoes, compression socks, high tech nutrition like Infinite and gels, race cut jerseys, and etc. I don't see how those are any different than swimming with a wetsuit. All those things mentioned are within the rules like the wetsuit.

If people want to challenge your manhood, tell them to do an IM swim without goggles, bike with a hybrid, and run with slippers.

Tuan

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 8/25/10 7:38 PM

I've done a significant amount of swimming in Lake Monona (the site of IM Wisconsin) and I've volunteered at the race. I can't speak to the 2010 conditions, but everyone (and I mean, everyone) wore wetsuits in 2007 and 2008. I wore a wetsuit for my OWS class.

I know it's only 2+ weeks away, but I would suspect that the overnight lows in Wisconsin are dipping into the low 60s and upper 50s and the water temp will drop. I think this will be a moot point.

I'm actually headed to Wisconsin tomorrow morning!

triterp    JOINED: 8/20/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 8/25/10 8:45 PM

I wore a full wetsuit (it's all I have) last year in a race where it was just below the cutoff and I almost overheated. It was uncomfortable and wouldn't do it again. The time you make up by wearing a wetsuit could probably be gained with a fast T1 and T2.

POSTED: 8/25/10 8:49 PM

Not for me... the time I make up wearing a wetsuit will be significant. I don't care about the time so much, though -- just the level of effort. Also looking cool.

POSTED: 8/25/10 8:49 PM

Not for me... the time I make up wearing a wetsuit will be significant. I don't care about the time so much, though -- just the level of effort. Also looking cool.

POSTED: 8/26/10 8:50 AM

Well,

Today the temperature was 23.6 C at 0715. That translates to 74.48F. Hope it warms up a little in the next couple of weeks. LOL.

Here's the site for the temperature:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=05429000

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 9/05/10 3:35 PM

A cold snap and a few rain showers has dropped the temperature at Lake Monona to below 70 degrees. With highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s this week, temps aren't likely to come close to the 76-deg. cutoff.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 9/05/10 3:57 PM

Excellent. Looks like you will have nice water temps to swim in. Now let's hope the weather forecast is also favorable.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/05/10 7:20 PM

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/05/10 7:20 PM

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 9/08/10 10:12 AM

The water temperature is now only 64 degrees. I was liking the 70 something a lot more and really hope that it doesn't get any colder by race day. I packed my sleeveless in my TriBike gear bag. Guess I got to get my full sleeve out now.

POSTED: 9/08/10 10:15 AM

Crap -

I only own a sleeveless. I wonder if I should go rent a full sleeve one tonite? 64 is freaking cold.

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 9/08/10 11:57 AM

I would rock the sleeveless even if it is mid-60s water temp. You'll be warmed up after a minute anyway and over the course of 2.4 miles, I think you may well be less tired than if you wore a full-sleeve suit (due to the lack of buoyancy--and therefore, resistance--around your arms).

That's just my hypothesis, however. I only own a sleeveless. Would be interested to hear views from folks who own both.

Matt

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 9/08/10 4:41 PM

I like sleeveless vs full-sleeve regardless of the temperature. If it is really cold (like at CDA in '06-I think 58!!), I add the neoprene cap instead of sleeves.

Amy

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 9/08/10 4:41 PM

I like sleeveless vs full-sleeve regardless of the temperature. If it is really cold (like at CDA in '06-I think 58!!), I add the neoprene cap instead of sleeves.

Amy

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria