Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

cross-train: rowing machine
CREATED: 02/07/10 by nbehappy REPLIES: 4
nbehappy's ravatar nbehappy    JOINED: 5/23/09    POSTS: 135
cross-train: rowing machine
POSTED: 2/07/10 10:16 PM

Does anyone x-train with the rowing machine? i've found it's nice to straighten you out after being hunched over the bike

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1028
RE: cross-train: rowing machine
POSTED: 2/08/10 2:08 AM

Okay, I've been up a little late enjoying the Saints victory! But do you think these exercises would help someone who is having back pains from shoveling snow. I've heard of heating pads, hot tubs and alcohol. Just wondering as I have to venture out tomorrow and help out some stranded neighbors.

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
POSTED: 2/08/10 10:37 AM

Hi nbehappy - I'm a rower and crosstrain on the rowing machine (erg) a lot. I'm training for my first tri with NTP and erging/rowing is a major part of my training plan. The major benefit I see is increased aerobic endurance and leg/core strenthening (all helpful for run/swim/bike). Just make sure you're doing most of the work by pushing your legs (as opposed to heaving with your back) to avoid a back injury! :)

Ryan

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 2/08/10 11:33 AM

I know Ryan and agree with him as I erg quite a bit, too. The erg is quite the truthsayer, but moreso if used correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnKyJdA01w

Like any sport or exercise, it can hurt if done incorrectly. The video linked above gives a good breakdown of the stroke. You can find other videos on YouTube as well as on the Concept2 website.

Jen

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/08/10 3:55 PM

if you want to help your back from shoveling this is simple cross training routine.

1. go to fridge pour a glass of water or OJ.
2. go to medicine cabinet, get some alleve or advil
3. take alleve or advil and water together.
4. repeat steps 1-3 as necessary according to instruction on medication box.
5. wait 30 minutes and your back will feel better.

worked for me.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria