Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

drug testing for WTC Kona and Clearwater for YOU!!
CREATED: 09/12/09 by vatriathlete REPLIES: 21
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
drug testing for WTC Kona and Clearwater for YOU!!
POSTED: 9/12/09 1:57 AM

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Opinion/AG_drug_testing_good_idea__1007.html

so what is everyone's take on this? the new policy of drug doping testing for AG out of competition for people that qualify for WC races?

does anyone really think this is a good idea?

does everyone (non pros) that qualifies for kona really have on their mind the 80 or so banned substances and levels of them that they may get inadvertantly from any number of food supplements that are sold over the counter?

i think this is the possibly the stupidest thing that the WTC Mdot races has put into place.

i understand drug testing pros but amaetures that aren't in the olympics or racing for money, that is a bit much.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: drug testing for WTC Kona and Clearwater for YOU!!
POSTED: 9/12/09 3:28 PM

Justin,

2 questions.
1- Is there a list of these band substances we shouldn't have in our system?

2- And does this mean I have to give up that HGH, EPO, and rocket fuel nose inhalers.....lol.

Seriously though. where can we find this list.

Z

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
POSTED: 9/12/09 3:33 PM

World Anti-Doping Agency's Prohibited List can be found at

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2

See the Download Center on the right hand side of the frame

RE: drug testing
POSTED: 9/12/09 4:52 PM

geez.... you seriously need a chemistry degree to figure out all those chemical names.

so no more crystal meth before races.. damn LOL

i think its going to be very hard for non-pro athletes to learn this list of substances and possible products that may have trace amounts of things in them.

POSTED: 9/22/09 10:37 AM

kona qualifiers better not use Sudafed or else you got lots of explaining to do and you are a DOPER pure and simple.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wada-approves-2010-list-of-prohibited-substances

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 9/22/09 11:20 AM

I'm kind of curious to see if top age group athletes are using banned substances or not. Cheating is cheating.

POSTED: 9/22/09 12:55 PM

i think its going to be interesting to see if the top top age groupers the guys that win in kona each year are doing anything.

maybe they are all legal and not cheating at all.

my question is this.

who is paying for the drug testing? unless the labs are doing this pro-bono, and i doubt they are doing it for free.

if this is something that is going to be "built into" every WTC entry fee, i think this is a terrible waste of money. afterall why should the 99% of athletes that will never qualify have to pay for teh drug testing of the 1% that qualify? I think this is absolutely the worst way that WTC is spending money which hopefully will not be passed onto everyone else entry fees.

This will all be moot if they say that the qualifiers/lottery winners have to pay for the drug testing as part of the "entry fee" to kona. Then I would have no problem with this testing at all.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1068
POSTED: 9/22/09 12:56 PM

I think AGers are taking drugs to improve performance. Not all of them, and maybe not most, but I think a surprising percentage probably are. Triathletes are a wealthy demographic. When you consider what we will pay for bikes, wetsuits, helmets, wheels, etc., it seems likely that some of these same people who have the money would also be willing to pay for designer drugs. It can make them faster, fitter, younger looking... We're also a very vain demographic and this plays right into those desires.

Morally, I don't really care what you do in your free time. But then again, I'm not competing for a Kona spot. As a fan of the sport at both the pro and AG level though, I think it's fair to level the playing field. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out and hopefully I'm wrong in my judgement that people are using banned substances to improve their performance. Maybe it will prove to be unnecessary?

One question I do have is how WTC is going to pay for all of this new testing. Is Ironman now going to cost $600+ dollars? It will be very difficult to test and then deal with all of the appeals of people who are legitimately taking a banned substance for medicinal reasons.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 463
POSTED: 9/22/09 1:07 PM

No big deal. When in the Navy, I was drug tested so many times over my 21 years. People who popped positive knew exactly what they were doing. Just thought that they would never get caught. Good idea to test Kona qualifiers. At big road races where money is at stake, the winners get tested.

finnegen's ravatar finnegen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 56
RE: drug testing for WTC Kona and Clearwater for Y
POSTED: 9/22/09 8:27 PM

This is a very strict sport. Heck! They don’t like it if our paper cup misses the trash can or if we drop a used jelpack, so I’m not sure why anyone would be so aggrieved and surprise buy this. I’ve only been involved for a year so and I've seen articles and discussions about the issue/need for testing and low grade “cheating” ie: abuse of caffeine and cold medicine. So this is an something that has been kicking around for while. Additionally, this is also an Olympic sport and not just a hobby. Some major races and championships not only give out money, but also set National or Olympic team qualifiers so there will be testing of anyone who reaches the podium.

RE: drug testing
POSTED: 9/22/09 9:56 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think amateures are elligible for prize money in mdot races unless you are pro

also if you are good enoughto make the olympics you are racing completely different rules and such so you already are drug tested

my point is pro and Olympic athletes drug testing is fine they expect that.

This ag testing seems like they are doing this as a pr thing to sort of show they are ahead of the curve. Honestly the qualifiers for kona though very good an fast really aren't making a living at it the pros are making the real money.

I think mdot would be better served by providing a better product to ag and if possible doing so for less money. They can spend the money they would have spent on AG drug testing on providing lower entry fees.

though we may all say "i'm clean so test me all you want" that is fine.

would you be ok with your entry fee to go up by $100 to test the kona qualifiers if you are not a qualifier? (meaning you are paying for a service that you get absolutely not benefit from)

would you be ok with cutting down the number of water stops on the marathon so that they can pay for the kona qualifier testing but the entry fee remains the same? (meaning you are getting less product for the money)

Like i said we realy don't know what they are going to do. So i may be completely wrong.

Hey maybe the labs are doing this all for free out of the goodness of their hearts and it wont' cost a dime.

stevo's ravatar stevo    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 9/23/09 9:46 AM

Having been doing these races now since the mid-80s, I long ago decided that I would focus only on what I could control and enjoy them. Some people draft in Ironman races, and they have to live with that. Others may dope. I once saw a disabled athlete -- the only disabled athlete in the race -- use paddles in the swim, even though he had already qualified for Hawaii that year. I saw a man getting iced water in Malaysia one year from his wife who rode beside him on a bike during the marathon. I can't control that, nor the weather, nor whether I puncture or it's windy or raining. What I can control is how I approach it, and what I do and think, and how I feel when I wear the finisher's t-shirt. I race clean, because I want to do this with a smile and do it until I die. They can test me any time if it makes them happy. And if they want to test anyone else, fine. I will still race, and for the same reasons I always have.

ryan's ravatar ryan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 9/23/09 11:43 AM

Winning an age group slot to Kona is as good as winning money (except here you have to pay money when you win – how convoluted is that?). There is a great deal of incentive amongst the top ten-percenters to be just a little bit better. With the prize of Kona, the temptation could be pretty hard to resist for some.

But Ironman races have a much broader demographic than most professional or Olympic competitions. That said, there are medications that your average 50-something age gouper may be on that you won’t find in the Tour de France…like tamoxifen. Ok, if a 25 year-old male is on it, that may be an issue, but do you interrogate the 50 year old woman that tested positive? Do you need the therapeutic use exemption before competition or you won’t get your Kona slot?

Probably one of the most important things to remember is that you didn’t have to take any of these agents intentionally. Most of these banned substances come with a zero-tolerance, so if you take something that is produced in the same plant as one of the banned substances, or has an ingredient that is, you are a doper! Everyone says they are clean…are you sure? Have you ever taken Hammer products? Whereas they have good products, nothing is perfect. Case-in-point, Rebekah Keat served a two-year ban from WTC because she took Hammer Nutrition’s Endurolyes (who hasn’t!) that were tainted with microscopic traces of a banned substance. When you took them, did you have them tested first? Of course not! But under these new rules, you would be labeled a doper too!

Don’t get me wrong, I generally like the new testing rules, but I think the problems that professional cycling had don’t necessarily apply to triathlons.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 10/29/09 10:45 AM

Late post, but I thought this article was especially relevant. We should all keep this excuse on hand...

http://deadspin.com/5392227/cyclist-gives-surprisingly-plausible-drug-excuse

POSTED: 10/29/09 11:59 AM

that is awesome LOL

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 10/29/09 12:34 PM

Who cares if a cyclist uses coke? Cocaine is banned during competition, not outside competition according to WADA. Boonen was allowed at the 13th hour to ride during the Tour although his performance sucked. He could have used some coke.

It was also a shame what they did to Jan Ullrich for taking XTC.

That being said, triathlon will never advance to be a popular and lucrative Pro sport in the US until the WTC and USAT begin a basic drug testing program for Pros and Amateurs. What they have now is pathetic. High school atheletes are tested more frequently. If people don't think sports enhancement drugs are being abused by age groupers, you are delusional. High schoolers have been pumping steroids for decades. Wrestlers use meth and Rx diet pills to drop weight, etc.

Age group triathletes are rich (~$120k avg salary) who are willing to throw money at any piece of equipment that will enhance their performance, i.e., spend $20 on a water bottle, $2k wheels that they use 3x/year, $600 Rapha jacket, etc. If high schoolers have access to performance enhancing drugs, I think that some amateur triathletes are seeking out and abusing WADA banned substances.

RE: drug testing for WTC Kona and Clearwater
POSTED: 10/29/09 1:00 PM

I for one may be doping next year ACCORDING TO WADA RULES because I sometimes take Sudafed with pseudoephedrine for sinus infections and according to 2010 rules if you take this stuff and its above a threshold amount you are doping. LOL

but i'll just claim the boonen excuse of getting drunk and then sudafed was in my system.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 10/29/09 2:59 PM

Justin,

I wouldn't worry about getting tested. You're not at the top of your age group.

Lisa

POSTED: 10/29/09 4:00 PM

that's right, and i'm taking all the sudafed for congestion that i can LOL

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 10/29/09 4:06 PM

Justin,

gonna agree with Lisa. And since I also don't have anything to worry about. Pass me the sudafed.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria