DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Cyclists crash, suffer injuries, after tacks tossed on Md. course
CREATED: 05/18/10 by JHJ20012 REPLIES: 9
JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 171
Cyclists crash, suffer injuries, after tacks tossed on Md. course
POSTED: 5/18/10 4:02 PM

From today's Wash Post: Not cool.

The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office is investigating a bizarre case of sabotage at a Leonardtown bicycle race over the weekend that involved someone tossing numerous thumbtacks onto a roadway in various spots apparently aimed at causing crashes.

Officials said tacks were thrown along the race course during the Patuxent Velo Cycling Club's Leonardtown Criterium event on Sunday, causing cyclists to crash.

The crashes damaged some of the bicycles but also caused numerous injuries, including one cyclist who suffered a broken bone, according to the sheriff's office.

Cyclists in such road races can travel at speeds up to or even exceeding 30 miles per hour, and sudden crashes can cause serious injuries.

Authorities referred the public to a video that one of the race's participants recorded while riding. It depicts a multiple-cycle crash at one of the racecourse's turns. In the video, riders are seen turning to the right and then crashing as they hit the tacks.

Leonardtown Crash from Bryan Vaughan on Vimeo. (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/crime-scene/josh-white/md-cyclists-crash-suffer-injur.html?wpisrc=nl_buzz)

St. Mary's authorities ask that anyone with information about the incident call Corporal M. Smolarsky at 301-475-4200, ext. 1960 or the Crime Solvers tip line at 301-475-3333. Callers could be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1,000.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
RE: Cyclists crash, suffer injuries, after tacks tossed on Md. course
POSTED: 5/18/10 9:10 PM

Man that sucks. People that do that, have no idea the implications of their actions. I mean the damaged bikes, and the injuries that range from street rash to broken bones. I hope they catch who did that, and they have to pay for the Dr bills, and damaged bikes.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 5/18/10 11:00 PM

If the authorities find the perpetrators, they need to lock those people up. Those actions have a high probability of causing very serious injuries to others, as serious as death. If you go flying off of a bike headfirst at 30 mph, death is a very possible outcome. Sounds like attempted murder would be an appropriate charge in this case.

Sad to hear that some people get a thrill out of doing stuff like this.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 5/19/10 12:14 AM

if someone did that on purpose when they find the perpetrators that did it, those people need a major beat down to an inch of their lives,

doing something like that to endanger people's lives for nothing but fun is totally and completely deserving of a seriously major and brutal a$$ beating.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 5/19/10 7:56 AM

That makes me nervous for Columbia.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 5/19/10 8:14 AM

Columbia should be fine - it's a big race with a strong history and community support. However, the same thing happened several years ago (either 2003 or 2004) at a triathlon in Northeast, MD. The course was swept but some guys in a pickup truck drove by race morning and threw tacks along one stretch of the course. It was on an uphill section so thankfully no high speed crashes but people were already walking bikes back to transition by the time I started riding.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1737
POSTED: 5/19/10 8:32 AM

Seasoned cyclists recall that, some 17 years ago, during rides along the Mt. Vernon trail featuring, of all people, Tipper Gore, someone sprinkled tacks along the route, causing hundreds of flat tires.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-946552.html

postie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 5/19/10 9:36 AM

Tacks were at problem at IM Louisville. In the suburban area before the featured La Grange section, locals were apparently upset about traffic backups and someone sprinkled tacks on the road. I heard of racers that flatted multiple times, but, fortunately, didn't encounter the tacks myself!

Ironman triathlon boosted business in La Grange
By Andrea Uhde • auhde@courier-journal.com • August 31, 2009

The third year of the Ford Ironman Louisville triathlon brought more people into La Grange than in previous years, said Barbara Manley Edds of Discover Downtown La Grange.

“The lots filled up much more quickly; we had more shuttle buses running,” Edds said.
She said the businesses were packed, and “restaurants did extremely well.”
The Aug. 30 triathlon took athletes through La Grange on Ky. 146 during the bicycle portion, which spanned 112 miles. Athletes also swam 2.4 miles and ran 26.2 miles.
Lt. Col. Billy Way with the Oldham County Police Department said some children were throwing sticks at bicyclists near Countryside subdivision on U.S. 42, and later some bicyclists ran over tacks that had been thrown in the road and had to deal with flat tires.
The police departments plan to have a “debriefing” of the day on Sept. 1, Way said.Reporter Andrea Uhde can be reached at (502) 582-4663.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1061
Cyclists crash, suffer injuries
POSTED: 5/19/10 9:57 AM

That video is pretty intense. If people who do this sort of think think that cyclists are just a bunch of skinny pansies with tight clothes and shaved legs, I think they greatly underestimate the caliber of people that go out and punish their bodies like we do. And we do it for fun. Watch that video and see how many people hop back onto their bikes and ride immediately away. It's impressive. And these people aren't pro tour riders whose paycheck depends on them getting back up and onto their bikes. These are essentially weekend warriors who are going to be walking around DC this week with wool suit pants sticking to their road rash.

I bet that if the roads were closed off for a barbecue cook-off and Budweiser keg stand people wouldn't complain a bit. I know I'm stereotyping but if the shoe fits...

I don't know what the answer is to get people to understand the value of an active society.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 5/19/10 11:29 AM

Too many hicks with nothing better to do.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria