Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Myrtle Beach Triathlon
CREATED: 07/07/10 by katelynnmc REPLIES: 49
tgrollman's ravatar tgrollman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 229
RE: Myrtle Beach Triathlon
POSTED: 9/29/10 12:03 PM

Anyone know if the current will be working with or against us? I've been a slacker in the pool and could use some serious current help! :-)

Tania.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 9/29/10 12:06 PM

Tania:

From the race info sheet thing:

The swim will take place in the Intracoastal waterway. Athletes will start using a wave format. The swim start and swim exit are not located at the same location, please review the map packet carefully. You will exit the water via a manmade swim ramp structure.

Be advised you will likely be swimming into the tidal current flow during the very first section of the swim. This applies to Halfmax (the first .3 miles) and the Intermediate distance (the first .1 miles) athletes. The Sprint distance will start with no current and finish with the current.
• The Halfmax racers will exit the Marina entrance, turn left and swim to the Orange Triangle Buoy marking the turn around point.
• The Intermediate racers will exit the Marina entrance, turn left and swim to the Yellow Triangle Buoy marking the turn around point.
• The Sprint distance racers will simply swim out of the marina entrance, make a right turn and swim to the swim exit area, marked by small orange triangles. All three distances will exit the same way. The Sprint distance will likely not face a strong tidal current.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 9/29/10 12:08 PM

Base on on the map apparently we will beginig swimming in a none current area the swim againgst the current for a few meter and on the turnaround swim with the current in our favor.
So we will have a little of everything.
Be more worry about the wind on the bike, forecat so far 7 to 10 MPH constant with gust of 18- 20 MPH

Eric

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 9/29/10 1:11 PM

Anyone know if this is a wetsuit legal event? I may have missed it but don't recall. Is it silly of me to hope that MB will be cool enough?

-Chloe

mtallent's ravatar mtallent    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 38
POSTED: 9/29/10 1:32 PM

Unfortunately they haven't updated the website yet to let us know what the current temp is. Maybe they will do that before we finish packing Thurs night? If not, I'm planning to bring both my wetsuit and speedsuit...

Water Temp & Wetsuits

CURRENT WATER TEMPERATURE (as of 9/16/2010) - 79 Degrees
AVERAGE OCTOBER WATER TEMPERATURE - 72 Degrees
WETSUITS - Please be aware that the water may not be the average temperature, so you should be equally prepared to wear your wetsuit or not. USAT Officials will measure the water temperature on race day morning to determine if the swim will be wetsuit legal or not. We cannot guarantee, as of now, if wetsuits will be allowed. The final decision will be made the morning of the race.
SPEEDSUITS - The following are USAT approved skinsuits and speedsuits for use in any water temperature: Xterra Velocity 0.02. Swimsuit * Xterra Velocity 0.02+. Swimsuit * Xterra Velocity 0.02++. Swimsuit * Xterra Velocity Red Swimsuit * 2XU Kona Fusion Speed Suit * Blueseventy Pointzero 3 Swimskin * Blueseventy Pointzero 3+ Swimskin * Blueseventy PZ3 Swimskin * Blueseventy PZ3+ Swimskin

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 9/29/10 1:45 PM

Whatever you do, make sure you DO NOT rely on water temperatures from the fishing reports. As we've all learned recently, they lie and use fuzzy math.

Hopefully one day fishermen will become more reliable.

eric guzmanaalv's ravatar eric guzmanaalv    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 140
POSTED: 9/29/10 2:03 PM

As for wetsuit is going to be a game time decision. If you have 1 bring it I am bringing mine. Hope all the rain that is falling overthere right now is really cold so it can be wetsuit legal

eric

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 496
POSTED: 9/29/10 2:08 PM

There is a USGS buoy a few miles north southwest of the race site in the Atlantic Intercoastal Waterway (AIW) that has real time water temperature data. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=02110760

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1795
POSTED: 9/29/10 2:30 PM

That map of the hotels, Cheeseburger, and Houseofblues is useful for orienting oneself.

There will be a shuttle bus, presumably, for getting from place to place?

(Apparently Hillary P will run between those places, and Simon will swim to them via the Intercoastal Waterway.)

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 9/29/10 8:52 PM

Hello,
To account for the club championship awards at 5 pm, and to balance the various times, we've moved the reservation at Cheeseburger to 6 pm. The manager says there shouldn't be a problem if some folks want to go earlier. A group will likely be leaving to go to the official post-race party at House of Blues if you are interested. Thanks.
I'm shooting to leave for House of Blues around 7:30 to 8 pm. Recommended mode of travel is Taxi.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria