Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Recycling running shoes?
CREATED: 07/07/10 by kmwpro REPLIES: 7
kmwpro's ravatar kmwpro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 270
Recycling running shoes?
POSTED: 7/07/10 10:18 AM

Does anyone know if any of the local stores recycle running shoes? I know I can pack them up and mail them off to Nike or something, but that seems ridiculous. I've got a bunch I need to get rid of.

Thanks!

julial    JOINED: 4/22/10    POSTS: 8
RE: Recycling running shoes?
POSTED: 7/07/10 10:41 AM

Definitely -- I know Potomac River Running in Cleveland Park has a donation bin for used running shoes, and I'm pretty sure Georgetown Running Company in Georgetown and Friendship Heights also take donations. Barring that, there are big yellow clothing/shoe donation bins on 18th Street in Adams Morgan (by the Marie Reed tennis courts).

Hope this helps!

rcmagnus's ravatar rcmagnus    JOINED: 1/23/10    POSTS: 43
POSTED: 7/07/10 10:49 AM

I think fleet feet in adams morgan also recycles used running shoes.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 7/07/10 10:52 AM

Pacers (Clarendon definitely, probably others, too) as well.

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 7/07/10 11:51 AM

I don't know where those shoes end up, but Wendy, who is in the Virginia Happy Trails Running Club (VHTRC), collects shoes to give to disadvantaged kids in her school in NOVA so they can participate in PE classes.

http://shoestosuccess.blogspot.com/

The shoes stay local, cutting down on the carbon footprint (no pun intended).

Keep an eye on the blog for updates on where she'll be collecting shoes. Since she's local, you might be able to do a drop off at her house. Contact her (Wendy) to confirm.

Additionally, I'll be doing CFA 50K (where she'll be next) and can take shoes that anyone wants to donate. I'm located near Lincoln Park for easy drop offs if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Jen

ttmuench's ravatar ttmuench    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 9
POSTED: 8/16/10 11:18 PM

goodwill or salvation army...

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 8/17/10 1:16 AM

Some gyms also have running shoe recycling bins/containers. I know some of the Sport & Health locations have the bins from time to time. (I haven't been there in a couple months so I don't know what's going on there lately.)

patagonia_80's ravatar patagonia_80    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 77
POSTED: 8/17/10 8:25 AM

I gave mine to the High Cloud Foundation, along with some running gloves and gently worn running clothes. They took donations at the Peasantman event and I'm sure you can always find Adriana or Matt!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria