Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Some questions about aquajogging
CREATED: 06/20/11 by kkaufer REPLIES: 2
kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
Some questions about aquajogging
POSTED: 6/20/11 10:25 AM

So I sprained my left ankle last week and will be reduced to aquajogging for a while. Couple of questions for the experts:

1) Do you wear a belt, or is that considered 'cheating'?

2) How active are you with your arms? I want to simulate my outdoor style as best I can, but I'm a bit afraid that I may be inadvertently be using my arms to move myself forward as opposed to my legs.

3) Alignment? I fear that I may be leaning forward too much. Any advice on how to make myself stay upright(er)?

4) Any other advice/tips on how to make this as realistic as possible? I'm still holding out hope that I can compete at IM LOU in two months, so I want to minimize my run drop-off as best I can.

Thanks!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
RE: Some questions about aquajogging
POSTED: 6/20/11 10:40 AM

I haven't done much aquajogging recently, but this is some of what I remember.

1) Wearing an aquajogger belt can help, but I have also done so without a belt.

2) Arms should be used the same way as when you run, but they will be very active if you don't use a belt.

3) Your upper body should be pretty much upright. If you lean too far forward, you may be off balance.

4) Other advice...one time I sprained my ankle three weeks before a marathon, thus I had to withdraw. You should also do some extra kicking during your swim workouts. The first week you ankle won't have much range of motion, but afte2-3 weeks you should be able to start running again.

Good luck bouncing back on the way to IM-Lou.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
RE: Some questions about aquajogging
POSTED: 6/21/11 9:22 AM

I'm about to venture into the world of aquajogging, too, since I have to lay off the knee/IT band for a bit. If you live in Arlington County and can get to the Washington & Lee pool, they actually have several belts you can borrow while you're there (like community kickboards and pull buoys) if you want to give it a try before buying one.

Cheers,

Abby

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria