DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Multi-sport clinic - recommended?
CREATED: 02/08/10 by chloevdc REPLIES: 5
chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
Multi-sport clinic - recommended?
POSTED: 2/08/10 10:18 AM

Hi everyone,

I am trying to figure out if the multi-sport clinics held at Vida Gym are a good investment or not. I see they'll be covering transitions and different skills. If I plan on taking part in the AU CUBU swim clinics and go through transition practices with NTP, are these clinics worth the $65?

Thanks in advance!
-C

RJohnson1979's ravatar RJohnson1979    JOINED: 9/13/09    POSTS: 81
RE: Multi-sport clinic - recommended?
POSTED: 2/08/10 10:39 AM

Hi Chloe - I am also taking the CUBU swim class starting next week - and was wondering the same thing about the VIDA classes. In general most of the classes I've taken there have been very good!

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 326
POSTED: 2/08/10 10:49 AM

Hi Guys,

I would think any opportunity to learn more about triathlon is a good investment. But, I understand your concern. One option might be to call or stop our MP at The Bike Rack and talk to Chuck. I stopped in yesterday and he was more than willing to talk about the clinics!

Hope this helps
Amanda

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 2/08/10 12:37 PM

Thanks, Amanda. That is a good idea.
@RJohnson, see you next week!

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 2/08/10 12:51 PM

Disclosure: I'm not part of the NTP leadership or decision process making structure but I have signed up to be a volunteer mentor.

I think that most of those clinics are only worth it if
A. You are new and not with the NTP
B. You are new and with NTP but will miss the NTP clinics due to other commitments

Here are the reasons why:
A. You paid for the NTP so milk it for all it's worth. Save your money to pay for pretty bike clothes or call your mother long distance to tell her that you love her. Save your time for training, sleeping, and petting the neighbor's dog.

B. The folks that put on the NTP clinics are pretty knowledgable in the fields that they are teaching and/or triathletes themselves. I can't imagine what the multi-sport series will teach you that the NTP won't. The topics that are covered my the multi-sport series clinics are basic stuff. It's not those types of topics where you need to attend more than one session for.

C. It's true that there is no such thing as too much knowledge or experience but by the end of the day, the NTP will give you more than enough knowledge and skills to get you through your first tri.

D. The multi-sport series clinics intended audience are folks who are doing tris on their own without the support on training programs like NTP, Team in Training, YMCA Tri training, Team Z, etc. You already have a support structure in place. Why waste money by going elsewhere ?

E. You have unlimited support from the NTP leadership as well as from your mentors. I don't think that there is one person in the NTP leadership/mentor structure who wouldn't go out of their way to give you any info, data, or training that you need or want on a one-on-one basis. Just ask :)

Saturday, February 20th at 1pm
Swim training/Open water and Swim/Bike Transition
>>> The NTP will hold open water clinics that are actually in the open water and not in a classroom or in the pool. You can't get any better than that. Word on the street is that once the weather gets warmer, some of the NTP mentors will be holding open water swimming clinics (in the open water not in a pool) outside of what is listed in your NTP training program.

As far as swim/bike transition is concerned, this is one of those things that you'll only need to be taught once. To get better, you'll just need to practice. The NTP will have a clinic to address this issue. Going to more than one of these clinics is a waste of time ... in my opinion. That time is better spent just practicing on your own.

Saturday, March 6th at 1pm
Bike training for triathlon, bike fitting and how it differs from road cycling
>>> I think that the NTP will more than adequately address this.

Saturday, March 13th at 1pm
How to run faster in triathlon and bike-to-run transition
>>> See response above :)

Saturday, April 3rd at 1pm
Training for all three sports while still having a life, how to tie it all together
>>> I haven't been to a clinic like this for beginners but I have been to one designed for folks training for Ironman races who are even more constrained by time. The clinic that I went to was taught by a professional tri coach who has won an Ironman race. Let's just say that I didn't walk out of that clinic with any info that wasn't obvious or already known.

Saturday, May 15th (time TBA)
Putting it all together, the final clinic will be an actual sprint triathlon
>>> This one I think is worth it. For $25 you get to go through the s/b//r process of a race without the competitive atmosphere or pressure. That's pretty darn cheap. DC Triathlon charges what ... $175 for a sprint? For a beginner, you can never get enough of these.

Tuan

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/08/10 1:23 PM

as a counter point to Tuan i'll give my opinion.

1. if you are in NTP as he noted above ask your mentor and the NTP directors about what they will teach you and if they recommend outside help or not if it sounds like they will teach you everything you need to know then you might not need a 3rd party clinic. Its up to you.

2. 3rd party clinics are often useful but cost some money. If you have budgetary constraints remember you have already paid for NTP so that is some money there, if you really think they might not teach you enough then spending extra money on another person might be worth it, but its more money you might not have. If you do not have monetary issues then $65 is not a lot to learn from someone that is possibly an "expert" in what they do and if they do it for a living it might be worth it. Again its up to you.

3. There is such a thing as too much knowledge. Meaining fi you try to learn too many techniques and have too many teachers too fast then you won't be proficient in anything. In other words be careful with how many clinics/teachers/classes you take. For now i would suggest grilling the NTP staff to find out what they will teach and what you may or may not need to supplement with their training.

Like tuan said there are plenty of seasoned triathletes in this club that when you combine all their knowledge they probably have done and learned every single training technique, used/bought every high tech gadget, and taken absolutely every clinic known in the triathlon world. Now filtering all that knowledge so that its useful to someone, that is the hard part.

good luck and have a safe season.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria