Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Water stops in Sligo Creek Park?
CREATED: 07/24/09 by queequeg9800 REPLIES: 4
queequeg9800    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
Water stops in Sligo Creek Park?
POSTED: 7/24/09 4:21 PM

I live in the Takoma Park/Silver Spring area, and it's about 14 miles round trip from my house to the botanical garden at Wheaton Regional Park. My favorite path is along Sligo Creek Park, which has a nice pathway that is relatively secluded considering how densely populated that area is.

My one problem: I hate wearing water belts (too much sloshing and extra weight), and I don't want to carry water bottles in my hands for a multiple hour run. It's a long way to go without water, and sadly there are no water fountains in the park (that I've found, at least).

Does anyone know of any water stops along Sligo Creek between Takoma Park and Wheaton Regional? There are water fountains/bathrooms in Wheaton Regional Park, but I'd love to know about any other fountains/hoses/sinks/whatever along the way. This is one of the DC area's better running trails, so I'm hoping someone else has thought about this already!

It occurred to me to try Holy Cross Hospital, and I'd be willing to run out of the park a couple of blocks if I knew I'd find a water stop.

Just Wondering....thank you!

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
RE: Water stops in Sligo Creek Park?
POSTED: 7/25/09 9:06 AM

I am pretty sure that there is water at the Dennis Ave Rec Center.

sportsbrajen's ravatar sportsbrajen    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 42
POSTED: 7/25/09 11:57 AM

Confirmed - there is a *cold* water fountain at the Dennis Ave Rec Center.

This map [link]http://www.montgomeryparks.org/PPSD/ParkTrails/trails_MAPS/trailmap_pdfs/Sligo_Trail.pdf[\link] may be helpful, too. I seem to recall seeing the fountain just before Colesville.

Not sure of your pace,distance, but I run most weekday mornings and weekends on Sligo.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 7/25/09 8:57 PM

I run in Sligo at least three times a week. Yes, Dennis Avenue Rec Center has water fountain. There is also one at the "playground" between Carroll Avenue and New Hampshire Avenue. Porta Potty there, too. Isn't that right, Chad?

queequeg9800    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 7/25/09 9:59 PM

Guys, this is great info---thank you so much! Love the maps, sportsbrajen. What time do you run?

I run 5 miles +/- a few times a week in Sligo Creek, mostly between New Hampshire and Piney Branch, or up to Colesville. It's a nice section of the park and very close to my house, and includes a respectably hill for repeats when I'm feeling spry. A couple of times a week I'm there between 6:45 and 7:30AM, and sometimes in the evening or on weekends.

I'm working up to the Wheaton Regional Park round trip, but until now hadn't figured out the water issue. I had been toughing it out---probably not a great idea---but I'll check out the Dennis Ave Rec Center. See you there!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria