Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Brick-nic for NTPers?
CREATED: 04/16/09 by skelly99 REPLIES: 13
skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
Brick-nic for NTPers?
POSTED: 4/16/09 3:32 PM

OK, I'm gonna throw this out there as I know some people have been talking. For those of us working on the NTP training schedule, are we supposed to be anywhere near doing this course for Saturday? I mean, should we be able to do this, or is this for more experienced DCTri folks?

If the latter, will there be some guidance on where NTPers are supposed to be at? I know that we're all at different levels, but I have this vision of dying next to a lake somewhere around the first hill after crashing my bike and still being clipped in ;)

michaelrobbins's ravatar michaelrobbins    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
RE: Brick-nic for NTPers?
POSTED: 4/16/09 3:51 PM

This is a great question. No - you shouldn't expect yourself to do the whole course at this point. That's okay! The great thing is you can do part of the bike course, turn around, and then do a short run. Stick with what you feel comfortable with. (the loop around the lake is 2 miles)

The important part is getting experience with a "brick" - learning what it's like to go from the bike to a run. And then there's the picnic part.

legalmoose's ravatar legalmoose    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 221
POSTED: 4/16/09 5:27 PM

You should stick to the planned workout on the schedule, which is a one hour ride and a ten minute run. For most people, that means you won't do anywhere near the full Columbia course, and likely won't even finish the Irongirl course, either. 30 minutes out and back is just fine on the bike, as is a 5 minute out and back on the run. For folks who are more experienced runners, or who have a running race coming up, you may do more of a run, but we wouldn't recommend you do the full 10k run course on your first brick. This is about learning how it feels to go from bike to run, not about setting new distance records.

The planned schedule is designed to get you to where you need to be in July without injury, so you really should stick to that, even if it means cutting a course short. The times are more important now than trying to push too far.

We will have volunteers out to ride with groups of NTPers, watch out for you and answer questions while you're on the road. There will also be a sweep at the end to ensure we've gotten everyone off the bike courses and that no one is out there in the lake. ;-)

Will

skelly99's ravatar skelly99    JOINED: 3/1/09    POSTS: 37
POSTED: 4/16/09 5:36 PM

PHEW...thanks!

taxmuffin    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 4/16/09 10:22 PM

Thank you so much for posting this question (and thank you for the responses)...

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 4/17/09 10:42 AM

if anyone wants to try the columbia olympic distance course i'll be doing that route after i finish helping setting up.

so hit me up if you want to do that route around 1030am or so.

Justin

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 4/17/09 10:56 AM

NTPers should be riding the Irongirl course (17.5 miles), not the Columbia course (25.2 miles). Also, while doing the Irongirl course, there is an opportunity about 2/3 way through to cut off some of the course if it is going to last longer than an hour for you. The Columbia course is not only too long for your scheduled workout but also very hilly and challenging and takes everyone but the pros who race it longer than an hour to ride. Hope this helps, and we will see you all there tomorrow monring!

Amy

POSTED: 4/17/09 11:20 AM

true, the olympic distance course does have a few moderate climbs and will take longer than 1 hour in anything except a car or motorcycle, but you have to agree its probably the best all around olympic disance bike course for both scenery and terrain on the entire east coast.

steph_430    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 4/18/09 11:05 PM

Yes, the course was a challenge! (or at least it was for me) - I didn't come anywhere near doing the entire course but felt like I got a good workout - the hills and heat were an added bonus!

And yes, the scenery was great!

Thanks to all the volunteers and NTP co-leaders for organizing the event and helping us through it. It was a great day.

Steph

janealonso's ravatar janealonso    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 4/20/09 11:20 AM

Due to a number of logistical difficulties (family in town last week -- packing for drive to NYC after the Brick was over), I was late getting out on the course. I didn't start until about 11:15 am, and so I missed most of the NTPers out there. I also inadvertently did the entire Iron Girl course because I had somehow missed the instructions to do only one hour of biking, which meant I didn't get back to the picnic until about 1:45 pm, so I missed most of you at the picnic as well. Arrgh!

Wow -- that course really kicked my butt and made me realize I need to do a lot more biking! But I did the entire 17.5 miles, hills and all. Had no juice for a run afterwards though.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who organized this weekend and sorry to have missed all of you due to my lack of organization!

Jane

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 4/20/09 11:23 AM

I would argue Luray is more scenic and challenging than Columbia...and doesn't cost $$$$$$$.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1270
POSTED: 4/20/09 11:32 AM

x2 on what Andy said. Luray also has a clinic and race organized test drive of the swim, bike, and run of the entire course weeks prior to the race. A good setup for newbies who can get a feel of what it's like to do a tri before the tri.

Columbia is a nice ride though ... taking nothing from it.

michaelrobbins's ravatar michaelrobbins    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 4/20/09 11:37 AM

Yes - more scenic country at Luray, but the lack of diversity in the landscape can get boring compared to Columbia. I think they are about the same challenge level, except for that first/last hill at Luray which is a biyatch. I didn't smell any chicken farms on the ride this Saturday which is certainly a +2 for Columbia.

Great having all the NTPers at the Brick-nic. It was also great to hear that NTP09 has offered to staff the DC Tri post-race massage tent at Columbia this year!

- Michael

POSTED: 4/20/09 11:41 AM

a

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria