Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Culpeper Century, Sat., Oct 1.
CREATED: 09/28/11 by mosered REPLIES: 5
mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1714
Culpeper Century, Sat., Oct 1.
POSTED: 9/28/11 10:49 AM

Some of us have signed up for this ride thru Virginia's scenic piedmont. The pleasingly late rollout from the starting line is at 8:30 am.

http://www.culpepercyclingcentury.com/

"Come on out for the 4th Annual Culpeper Cycling Century (CCC) on Saturday, October 1st!

This bike ride is fast becoming a tradition boasting great scenic beauty and paved road riding in Culpeper County in the most colorful season - Fall!

You can choose between 33 miles, 65 miles, or the ultimate challenge 100 miles of countryside roads.

Door prizes will be drawn before the start of the ride and all pre-registered participants (by 9/11) will be guaranteed a long-sleeve event t-shirt. The first 300 participants will also be receiving a goody bag..."

carrollea's ravatar carrollea    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 27
RE: Culpeper Century, Sat., Oct 1.
POSTED: 9/30/11 1:12 PM

I'm in too! I'll be with some recreational rider friends, but I hope to manage to fit in a "double brick" of 33 miles, 4 mile run, 33 miles, 3 mile run. Have you done this one before? Where do you park? Is it doable to circle back to the car, do a run, then repeat?

Liz

POSTED: 9/30/11 2:16 PM

Liz: Looking at the cue sheet, it doesn't look look like the course loops around back in 33-mile fashion. Maybe take a backpack with running shoes and do the run at a rest stop, having the vols there watch the bike?

POSTED: 9/30/11 5:50 PM

Thanks. Might try that. I'll figure something out.

POSTED: 10/03/11 12:35 PM

Thought the volunteers helpful, rest stops many, and the course rolling past White Oak Canyon and Old Rag Mt. quite scenic.

Major flaw tho was inadequate food at rest stops, especially on a cold, headwindy day that burned thru calories.

Good raffle prizes. Pricey fee.

Survey Monkey for the event is here:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=cHILvv1Tnoo_2fI5Cs5Adcdg_3d_3d

POSTED: 10/04/11 9:21 AM

I thought it was a good ride - some hills, but nothing too challenging, and beautiful scenery. There were more rest stops than on most of the other centuries I've done, and although the food was pretty standard (half bananas, orange wedges, pb&j sandwich quarters, gatorade, and mini Snickers at the last stop, plus a Subway box lunch of a 6-inch sub, chips, a cookie and a bottle of water), it was adequate for me. Since this was a training ride for me, I also had Accelerade Hydro and Endurox in my bike bottles, plus a couple of energy bars that I only ate one of, so I had plenty of fuel. I did the 65 mile, then ran for 40 minutes in Culpeper, then did the short 22 mile loop and a 30 minute run as my "double brick." It's a reasonable price if you register early, the price goes up if you wait too long. The volunteers were very friendly as were the folks at the Bike Stop, and the ride was not crowded at all (maybe partly because of the weather forecast). We were lucky with the weather - it was part sun/part clouds for most of the day, and it didn't start raining until after I finished everything at about 5:30. There was no big meal at the end like the Reston Century, but I liked the routes better. The routes were also well-marked, with arrows before and after turns to confirm you were still on track.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria