Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Newbie Bike Tech Question
CREATED: 08/09/11 by HappyRunner REPLIES: 1
HappyRunner's ravatar HappyRunner    JOINED: 1/15/11    POSTS: 186
Newbie Bike Tech Question
POSTED: 8/09/11 6:34 PM

Kinda new to this whole bike thing, assuming that the days with a paper route on my old Schwinn don't count.

Anyway, I can achieve approximately the same gear ratio by using either the large or small front chainring, depending on what gear I select in the rear cassette.

Putting aside cross-chaining and other issues, if the gear ratio is the same, is there any advantage to being in either the large or small front chain ring?

P.S. One bonus question: do y'all leave your expensive bike computer attached to your bike in T1 while you are doing the swim?

Slick    JOINED: 10/20/09    POSTS: 5
RE: Newbie Bike Tech Question
POSTED: 8/09/11 9:12 PM

I stick with the big chainring unless I'm on hills. Its low end is capable of handling moderate inclines. If I'm in a hilly area, however, I'll drop down as necessary. And then I'll leave it on the small ring until I get back to the flats (or I want to speed down a hill).

As for the bike computer, yes, I leave it on the bike during the tri. I figure it's not the most expensive piece of equipment out there, so if somebody wanted to steal something valuable out there, my bike computer would not be the first target...

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria