DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Crowded Pools and Lane Etiquette
CREATED: 03/13/11 by abbyjs REPLIES: 11
abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
Crowded Pools and Lane Etiquette
POSTED: 3/13/11 9:39 PM

Hi everyone....

Yesterday, I was at Wilson pool from 9:15-10:45 AM (the most crowded time) and there were a couple of dangerous moments due to some folks not being aware of or concerned about lane etiquette.

Most people's training is starting to kick into high gear, and there are a number of newer swimmers out there, and for everyone's safety and happiness--even if you think you know--take a gander at some published rules of swim lane etiquette (such as these http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/pooletiquette ).

Particularly if you do what I do---wear past triathlon swim caps and bring my DC Tri water bottle--being courteous of others is a great way to represent our club. I encourage you all to act accordingly.

For those of you who don't know me, you should understand that I am a middling/mediocre swimmer, so please don't take this as a fast swimmer trying to tell slow swimmers what to do.

Have fun in the water!

Cheers,

Abby Sanford

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
RE: Crowded Pools and Lane Etiquette
POSTED: 3/13/11 10:30 PM

People are gonna hate me for this comment, but my suggestion would be to have the pool set up for 25 yds/meters so you can get more swimmers in the lanes. Heck, in USMS,they don't swim long course until late spring and their summer competitions are 50 meters.

Suggestion: Try swimming in a masters swim meet this summer which will be 50m.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 3/13/11 10:54 PM

is wilson pool ever set up for 50m indoors?

one time i called them and they said never its always on the 25 lenght, but hey maybe they changed it for 50 meters that is great

i have to disagree hugh, there are so few opportunities for 50 meter pools around here that at least one should stay 50 meters indoors. yes overcrowding may become an issue especially if nobody in the lane has any etiquetter or refuses to swim in a lane with others their speed for everyone's benefit (yeah right, that will never happen), but i think that is a reasonable tradeoff for 1 option of a 50 meter pool, there are plenty of 25 meter options for people to goto around dc and nova.

every other pool that i have called in dc and nova is 25 yard set up year round, even if it is 50 meter capable its only done for a swim meet never for regular use.

the only place i know of that is 50 meter all the time is hains point pool, glad to hear that there is an indoor 50 meter option, might have to check it out.

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 3/14/11 6:33 AM

I may have to take you up on that one, Justin, and check it out. The pool where I swim in the winter can be set up for 50m, but it's set up for 25m. Only once have I swum with someone else in my lane.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 3/14/11 8:01 AM

Wilson is currently set up for 50m lanes and has been as long as I've been swimming there.

Hugh--I don't know anything about whether 25m lanes can accommodate more people, but two things:

1) I love swimming in 50m; I'm not swimming for anything other than the open water on race day, so for me, the less I have to touch the wall, the better.

2) Etiquette is etiquette is etiquette. While reducing the probablility that lanes will be crowded is a great idea, there would still be multiple people in the 25m lanes, and the rules still apply no matter what. :)

RAFTRI's ravatar RAFTRI    JOINED: 12/22/10    POSTS: 27
POSTED: 3/14/11 8:07 AM

Having just read the link on lane etiquette I would like to add a " British" comment on the rules. I spent 6 years at a UK masters swim group being coached by an Olympic Bronze Medallist who insisted that each lane rotated in opposite directions. This meant that when swimming along the lane rope you were swimming in the same direction as the person in the next lane and thereby less likely to clash hands/arms travelling in opposite directions. This seemed to work really well and we often had 4-6 people in each of the 4 "competitive" lanes. So its not a case of "getting it right" in the UK its a case of adapting to suit!

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 3/14/11 10:11 AM

That British tip is a good one in theory, but I just can't see it being organized at Wilson outside of maybe a Master's swim group. People barely have a grasp of circle swimming most nights...

**Sent while standing in the middle of the fast lane at Wilson

cfudge1    JOINED: 3/4/09    POSTS: 98
POSTED: 3/14/11 5:11 PM

The overcrowding is caused by there being five lanes of the pool that are unavailable at 10am-11am due to the DCPR masters practice taking up four lanes and the other unofficial masters practice taking up the second fast lane between 9am and 11am.

So, at 10am you have a pool-full of swimmers of all speeds suddenly trying to squeeze into the remaining 3 slow lanes... But really there's only two lanes left if you don't count the aqua jogger lane - those grannies might have a coronary if they were suddenly deluged with a bunch of jammer and pull buoy -clad triathletes.

So, due to the sheer mathematics of seven lanes of swimmers trying to now fit into two lanes, the overcrowding is always going to be an uncomfortable situation no matter the level of etiquette. I think a lot of this would be relieved if the pool either opened half an hour earlier on Saturdays or the masters practice started half an hour later at 10:30 (or both!) which I've said on the survey. Until this happens, its basically going to continue to be a headache.

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 3/16/11 1:31 PM

Abby, thanks for posting this simple and gentle reminder of pool etiquette. If everyone followed these general rules, we all would be happier in the pool. And Hugh, Wilson is almost 50 m setup, and the lanes are wide enough that passing even with an oncoming swimmer approaching doesn't pose much of a risk of bumping heads.

jbrez's ravatar jbrez    JOINED: 1/30/11    POSTS: 254
POSTED: 3/16/11 2:55 PM

"I spent 6 years at a UK masters swim group being coached by an Olympic Bronze Medalist who insisted that each lane rotated in opposite directions. This meant that when swimming along the lane rope you were swimming in the same direction as the person in the next lane and thereby less likely to clash hands/arms traveling in opposite directions"

I wish this would happen here. I prefer to swim circles and if I manage to get in a lane by myself I need to try switching the direction.

I guess swimmers are like NASCAR drivers.

melshutson's ravatar melshutson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 3/27/11 1:22 PM

Absolutely Wilson should be kept at 50m. I can't stand 25 yard pools anymore.

It's not crowded at all on Friday nights. Although the fact that I'm there Friday nights reflects poorly on my social life (ha-ha).

Wednesday nights are not bad either.

Monday nights are crowded and I've never gone on Tuesday or Thursday nights when the Masters teams is there.

jjones5647    JOINED: 3/29/11    POSTS: 1
POSTED: 3/29/11 10:50 AM

I am a novice here, but I think there ought to be 50m days/evenings at every pool that is large enough to accommodate that configuration. Everyone who wants a 50m lane should not be forced to travel far from home. While I enjoy Wilson, I live walking distance to the Takoma pool and would love to have the convenience of training close to home sometimes. Takoma only has 25m for public swims, but changes configuration for competitions or private events.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria