For folks making their way to training tri tomorrow, info on road closures for Susan Komen Race for Cure and other:
Road Closures for Weekend Events
Race for the Cure and Unifest Celebration Scheduled
(Washington, D.C.) The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) has provided the following information about road closures for two large events scheduled this weekend: the Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure and the Unifest Celebration.
Susan G. Komen Global Race for the Cure
This event is scheduled to begin at 7:50 a.m. and conclude at 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, June 6, 2009. The race will form on the National Mall and will then proceed over the following route:
• North on 4th Street to Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
• West on Pennsylvania Avenue to Constitution Avenue, NW
• West on Constitution Avenue to Virginia Avenue, NW
• Northwest on Virginia Avenue to 18th Street, NW
• North on 18th Street to C Street, NW
• West on C Street to 19th Street, NW
• South on 19th Street to Constitution Avenue, NW
• East on Constitution Avenue to 15th Street, NW
• South on 15th Street to Jefferson Drive, SW
• East on Jefferson Drive to 7th Street, SW
• South on 7th Street to Independence Avenue, SW
• East on Independence Avenue, SW to Maryland Avenue where the runners will cross the finish line
There will be temporary road closures along the race route until all of the participants have cleared the area. In addition, the following streets will be closed:
• 3rd Street between independence Avenue, SW and Constitution Avenue, NW, from 6:30 a.m. to approximately 2 p.m.
• 4th Street between independence Avenue, SW and Constitution Avenue, NW, from 6:30 a.m. to approximately 2 p.m.
• Independence Avenue, SW between 3rd and 7th Streets, from 5 a.m. to approximately 5 p.m.
This event is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. and conclude at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 6. The following streets will begin closing to vehicular traffic at approximately 11:00 p.m. on Friday, June 5, and will remain closed until approximately 1:00 a.m. on Sunday, June 7:
• Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE from 11th Street Bridge ramp to Howard Road
• Ramp from I-295 to Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue and Good Hope Road, SE
• Good Hope Road SE from 13th Street to Martin Luther King Jr Avenue
• U Street, SE from 14th Street to Shannon Place
• V Street, SE from 14th Street to Shannon Place
• W Street, SE from 14th Street to Railroad Avenue SE
• Pleasant Street, SE from 13th Street to Martin Luther King Jr Avenue
• Mount View Place, SE from Pleasant Street to Talbert Street (Subject to Change)
• Maple View Place, SE from Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue to Mount View Place
• Chicago Street, SE from Railroad Avenue to Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
• Shannon Place, SE from U Street to Howard Road
• Talbert Street, SE from Shannon Place to Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue
(Howard Road will remain open from the South Capital Street Bridge to Pomeroy Road, SE)
There will be significant pedestrian traffic associated with both of these events and the Metropolitan Police Department and the Department of Transportation remind motorists in the vicinity to exercise caution. Also, please note these street closings are subject to change.
Thanks very much for the information! I'll be on the training tri tomorrow.
Have a great weekend.