Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Cold OWS Gear
CREATED: 05/02/11 by PamS REPLIES: 5
PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
Cold OWS Gear
POSTED: 5/02/11 8:00 PM

I'm thinking about getting a neoprene cap and maybe booties/gloves for cold OWS's. Any suggestions or things I should know before I go buy that stuff?

laineym3's ravatar laineym3    JOINED: 7/2/10    POSTS: 122
RE: Cold OWS Gear
POSTED: 5/03/11 8:12 AM

The best cold water "gear" I ever bought were those $4 silicone ear plugs. It depends how sensitive you are to the cold water. I am extremely sensitive and when that ice cold water rushes into my ear canal, I feel like iv'e got vertigo.

I was hesitant at first, not wanting to be "that" person with the ear plugs, but when I heard that doctors put ice cold water in the ears of dead people to tell if they're really dead... i didn't care! I raced with them at rumpus for the first time and I am a changed woman :)

Elaine

POSTED: 5/03/11 2:47 PM

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought about ear plugs. I'll definitely do anything to keep the cold water OUT! lol

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1752
POSTED: 5/03/11 3:54 PM

At last year's freezing Beach to Battleship swim, the smart set wore booties and gloves, in addition to two caps. You can get insulated caps on line, tho I haven't heard how well they work. It's old school and effective to wear those caps that tie underneath the chin, but they're hard to find.

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 295
POSTED: 5/03/11 4:42 PM

I have a neoprene cap from BlueSeventy that I can bring to peasantman if you want to give it a try. It's definitely helpful when water temps are low.

POSTED: 5/03/11 5:56 PM

Yes please, that would be awesome! Thanks! :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria