DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Tyler Hamilton Admits & Quits
CREATED: 04/17/09 by garydean REPLIES: 3
garydean's ravatar garydean    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 47
Tyler Hamilton Admits & Quits
POSTED: 4/17/09 11:37 AM

Another sad day for cycling and American cyclists

American cyclist Tyler Hamilton has tested positive for a banned substance and consequently quit the sport.

"I took a banned substance so I need to take whatever penalty they will give me and move forward," the 2004 Olympic time trial champion told Cyclingnews.

"Today is about my leaving the sport and to talk about my depression, not the past. I don't want to talk about that anymore, it's about moving forward and taking care of myself."

Rock Racing rider Hamilton, the US national road champion, served a two-year ban for blood doping in 2004.

A second doping offence is subject to a ban from eight years to life, according to the World Anti-Doping Agency code.

Rock Racing's representative Sean Weide said a teleconference was scheduled for 15:00 UK time.

Hamilton said he bought an over-the-counter homeopathic anti-depressant containing the steroid DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone) which is on the WADA list of banned substances.

"I'm not naive," said Hamilton.

"I know people will be angry with me and depression is something I need to take care of, I didn't do it at the right time or in the right way and I'm sorry for the negative spotlight."

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
RE: Tyler Hamilton Admits & Quits
POSTED: 4/17/09 5:35 PM

If he was doping then that is truly stupid. At least take something that actually works.

Everything I can find indicates that DHEA has been de-bunked as a muscle enhancer.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 4/18/09 5:22 PM

well if the dude really has clinical depression and was trying alternative medications for some form of relief, then doping suspensions should rightfully be at the bottom of his list of concerns.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 4/18/09 5:57 PM

oh man how far Tyler has fallen...dhea is a lame drug to get busted on.

well it all started to unravel when Tugboat died. Testing positive for dope at the 2004 Olympics. His wife kicked him to the curb, too.

he's probably better off pulling out and getting help for his depression than letting it spin out of control.

Glad that I met him at his last (real) pro race!

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria