DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Musselman Half in July?
CREATED: 04/17/09 by lcbrown REPLIES: 14
lcbrown's ravatar lcbrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
Musselman Half in July?
POSTED: 4/17/09 12:06 PM

Who's in for this race- July 18th?

It's a little bit of a hike- but it's supposed to be a great race. The area is beautiful (Finger Lakes region)- and the race was named "Most Family-Friendly Race" by Triathlete magazine- and there aren't many other races out there this time of year. Perfect if you are training for a late summer/early fall Ironman.....

Also- you can qualify for the long course world championships (in Perth)- or earn some serious street cred by doing the DOUBLE MUSSEL 88.7 (a sprint on Saturday and a half ironman on Sunday).

So.....who's in for a fun road trip?

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
RE: Musselman Half in July?
POSTED: 4/17/09 12:31 PM

IN for the double mussel.

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 327
POSTED: 4/17/09 2:04 PM

It’s a great race!! I did it last year as prep for IM Moo, so you are right about the timing. Nice course and really great support. It started raining half way through the bike and didn’t stop until the next day. Every water stop was still had a ton of people cheering.

And the wine in the area is really good too :-)

catgold's ravatar catgold    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 87
POSTED: 4/20/09 9:44 AM

Hey Laurel - I beat you to it :) :

http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=3F2DA5C6-F036-0B7E-FD12FD2504D559FC

I am in! I'm glad that I will have good company.

drsully's ravatar drsully    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 4/20/09 10:08 AM

I did it last year and I have already signed up for this year. It's a great race.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 498
POSTED: 5/19/09 9:35 AM

That's my hometown! I'm already signed up for the half on SUnday...anyone want to carpool? I have 2 bike holders on my roof rack.

The course rocks. They relocated the swim to the marina in the park this year so no worries about scrapping the bottom of the lake during the swim...it will be deeper than 5 feet!

The bike is a beautiful course with some rollers, just have to be strong willed and not stop at the Winery around mile 50 instead of finishing the race! :-)

If anyone needs lodging, I have an extra guest bedroom at my parents house.

Ryan

POSTED: 5/19/09 11:31 AM

Looks like we'll have good representation of the club at this race. My mom lives in Ithaca, and I'm looking forward to doing a race taht she can attend. It will be my first half.

Todd - I'm not so thrilled about your mention of taping our feet on the other thread. Oh well.

See you all there.

Cat

drsully's ravatar drsully    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 5/19/09 1:31 PM

Probably wont need the duct tape this year since the swim course has changed to deeper water and no running the last 100 meters with Zebra mussels. Its a great race, I think that you will like it.

lchipkin    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 6/22/09 1:25 PM

I've done this race the past three years, and I really like it, I have some family up there as well, so it's a treat to see them on race day. I've been waffling back and forth big time about whether to sign up this year...mostly just because it's sort of a trek to get up there. Would any of you have room to carpool? I'll chip in plenty for gas, etc...I just don't want to make the drive by myself...

POSTED: 6/25/09 11:26 AM

I have room for one with a bike in my car. Are you cool with going up a few days early and staying a few days after? I use this race as an excuse to hang out with my family for a few days. I will most likely take off Friday and head up then and stay through Monday.

Would you be able to stay with your family?

Hit me up offline, ryan.troll@gmail.com

Ryan

POSTED: 7/02/09 8:17 AM

So I'm tossing around the idea of getting a BBQ together after the race either at the State park or back at my parent's house with some friends and family. Any interest in partaking in said BBQ from those headed up to the race who are staying through Monday?

POSTED: 7/02/09 4:37 PM

I love the idea! Can I say maybe? It will depend on what my family wants to do (they might not be up for hanging around outside any longer than necessary).

Cat

POSTED: 7/13/09 9:42 AM

Hey everyone, any updates on details for this weekend? I'm still game for pulling together a post-race BBQ for anyone that is interested. When is everyone planning on heading up?

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 7/13/09 10:46 AM

Laurel and I are headed up Friday. Hopefully taking the full day off work, but most likely leaving after a half-day. As for the post-race BBQ, I think we're most likely gonna head out right after the race for the drive home. Stupid work--getting in the way of the multi-sport lifestyle...

Thank you for the invite, though.

Phil

POSTED: 7/13/09 11:52 AM

I'm driving to Ithaca Thursday. I will get to Geneva on Tuesday and my mom and I will likely stay there until Monday. Unfortunately, I don't know if my mom will be up for anything Sunday. As long as it will take to me to finish, she may have had enough activity and need some downtime (unlike me, who will surely be refreshed and ready to party after my first HIM...ha). Sorry to be so indefinite.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria