Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

General Smallwood Maryland Oly Sept. 19
CREATED: 09/13/09 by MWally17 REPLIES: 6
MWally17    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 15
General Smallwood Maryland Oly Sept. 19
POSTED: 9/13/09 8:23 PM

Anyone doing this race? It's still open...In crystal clear Mattawoman Bay and flat course...
http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=1173

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: General Smallwood Maryland Oly Sept. 19
POSTED: 9/14/09 9:56 AM

Would have liked to join you, but I am hosting another endurance event - Slumber Party for 10 of my daughter's friends. Just found out that the pool at the hotel where we are having the party is crapped out - what to do with 10 kids under 8?

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 9/14/09 12:08 PM

Wait, who described the swim as "crystal clear"? Don't get me wrong, I totally recommend this event but they've always had problems with seaweed. That's why they have a "back-up" swim course in case the main one is too overgrown. One year (in the back-up swim course) a seaweed tentacle wrapped itself around my wrist and took my watch off. Also, not a flat course - it's rolling hills, similar to Northeast (maybe not quite so hilly) and the run is not flat. Still, if you're thinking about it, sign up - Set Up Events is a great, great company and they always put on quality events.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 9/14/09 12:27 PM

Smallwood is the old Spud triathlon. It is a great course. Lots of shade. You can camp on-site, too. Only 35 min drive from the Hill.

The water can be pretty yukky - hydrilla, fish hooks. Be careful it's a working boat ramp.

goshlickit's ravatar goshlickit    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
POSTED: 9/14/09 1:39 PM

I am in! Should be a good event to close out my year.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 9/14/09 1:49 PM

I did this one back when it was Spud and I think the bike and run courses are really fun. It's the race where I swam parallel to shore after the turn-around instead of perpendicular until the kayak came over to let me know I was going the wrong way so I don't think I should say anything about the swim course.

This year I'll be up at Savageman supporting the hubby.

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 9/14/09 3:38 PM

I was out there in my boat last weekend... the hydrilla is in full effect.

Interested to know how this one goes... I thought about signing up but decided I'd had enough for this year.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria