Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

IronGirl Registration Tomorrow
CREATED: 11/02/09 by ppgodes REPLIES: 3
ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
IronGirl Registration Tomorrow
POSTED: 11/02/09 5:41 PM

The Columbia AFLAC Irongirl Triathlon registration opens tomorrow, 03 Nov 09, at 0900.

The race is 22 August 2010, and is a little longer than a Sprint:
0.62mi swim- 17.5mi bike - 3.3mi run .

More information at www.tricolumbia.org.

This was the most well-organized race I've participated in - and the swag was great! Wonderful support for this all-women's race.

It closes very quickly - I believe last year it closed in less than 48 hours, so if you're considering it, don't wait too long.

Paula

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
RE: IronGirl Registration Tomorrow
POSTED: 11/04/09 9:49 AM

I'm trying to decide whether to register as an "Elite" for IronGirl...

Generally speaking I would *not* consider myself an Elite, but I might for this race. They are suggesting anything under a 1:45 would be elite, and I've definitely had much faster Sprint Tris.

Has anyone ever done this race?
How hilly is the bike?
What about the run?
How much should I add to my typical race paces considering the difficulty of this course?
How "cloggy" were the age group waves?

Any assistance (and soon!) would be helpful.

Cheers!

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 193
POSTED: 11/04/09 10:19 AM

Thanks for saving me, Paula! I had been planning on registering but was going to wait another week or so to do it when I saw your post. By the time I logged in (just this morning), there were only 40 spots left! Got in just in the knick of time!

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 11/04/09 12:29 PM

Oh good! I'm glad you got in...it was my favorite race last year...and all that "Girl Power" was very motivating.

Unfortunately, I won't be doing it again, but will probably show up with other friends for the "dress rehearsal" they hold on a Friday near the end of July.

It's worth taking a day off and doing that...you'll get to swim and bike the course, and run, if you're so inclined.

As far as registering for "elite," my Sprint times are around 1:30 to 1:45 depending on the difficulty of the course...I did IronGirl in 2:02, if that tells you anything.

It's actually a little longer than an actual sprint...the swim is 1100 meters (as opposed to 800 meters), the bike is 17.5 (Sprints are usually 14 or 15 miles) and those hills were nothing to sneeze at...they were pretty consistent throughout the whole course.

The run is 3.3, so a little longer than your 5K, and a couple of good hills in that one, just to make it fun.

Age group waves...depends on your wave...my wave had over 100 women going in the water. The larger age groups they do break up into different waves though...but you still have about 2,400 women in that water. I found it a little congested. Unless you're a dolphin, and you're out front.

It was very well organized and just a great time. Again, look for the dress rehearsal day...they'll send you an e-mail as it gets closer. I would highly recommend doing that to get a good feel for the course.

Have fun ladies!

Paula

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria