Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Experience with SSPT for injury?
CREATED: 06/22/11 by tgalbert REPLIES: 8
tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
Experience with SSPT for injury?
POSTED: 6/22/11 9:03 AM

I'm biting the bullet and seeking professional help with a neck/back injury sustained during a ultra.

I'd like to patron one of our partners, so I'm looking at SSPT. Anyone ever been to them? Recommendations for or against?

Thanks!
Trevor

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
RE: Experience with SSPT for injury?
POSTED: 6/22/11 9:27 AM

Highly recommend. Saw them last year for some shooting pains going down my tricep. Saw Amy Fagan. She was great. It was a difficult problem to diagnose, but she kept at it for an hour until she was able to identify the source of the pain as a tweak in my should/back. Saw her maybe 4 times, and then she gave me the tools and knowledge to make sure it doesn't come back again. So far, so good.

POSTED: 6/22/11 9:47 AM

Thanks, Sean.

They don't participate with my health insurance. How are they, as far as out-of-pocket?

Also, are there any practices around who accept Aetna?

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 6/22/11 10:56 AM

I have heard a lot of good things about SSPT, and I know that some of our elite team work with them. Sonja Evers has spoken with me personally about my knee issues just because she is a great person and because good friends of mine know her well.

I, too, have Aetna (Open Access HMO) and both the downtown and Ballston ProSportsCare physical therapy clinics accept it (find out if you need a referral). Shira downtown is great.

My new chiro/acupuncturist also accepts Aetna. Dr. Cho is on Main Street in Fairfax, and considering how well my knee is doing after one treatment, I would recommend him as well.

emilyann's ravatar emilyann    JOINED: 5/24/10    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 6/22/11 11:13 AM

I'll echo support for SSPT. I saw Brian for some calf tightness/pain and he got me fixed up in time for a spring marathon and tri season. He did a gait analysis, worked with me for 3-4 sessions and gave me lots of info to take home so the problem wouldn't come back (it hasn't). Out-of-pocket wasn't terrible, I think around $140 or so per visit.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 6/22/11 1:45 PM

I have seen Sonja, Jennifer Dabbs (out on maternity leave) and Robert Gillanders at SSPT. I am working with RG now since my knee surgery. He is just terrific as are Sonja and Jennifer.

SSPT will estimate what your payment will be post insurance and then bill your insurance provider. I also have Aetna (through the World Bank). FYI - Aetna stopped paying my PT post surgery for no good articulated reason and I am in my 2nd appeal. I'd share the details of the absurdity of the denial, but I would need a whole blog for it. I've been paying out of pocket since March (going 2xs a week and now 2xs a month).

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 369
POSTED: 6/22/11 6:51 PM

I don't know anything about SSPT. But I had a herniated disc (L5-S1) back in 2007, and I got over it with the help of a chiropractor, who also did an ironman last year. My chiropractor was Dr. Bernard Etherly. You can reach him at dretherly at yahoo dot com. He also does the Tuesday night hill rides at Conte's Ballston fairly regularly.

-Luke

chloevdc's ravatar chloevdc    JOINED: 1/25/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 6/23/11 9:12 AM

Trevor, as part of DC Tri you can get a free 30 min assessment with SSPT. I found that out at a bike clinic (seems to be a little known fact). Just that 30 minutes was beneficial for me for what I needed, and they can also explain the insurance pieces and cost. I would take advantage of that.

=Chloe

POSTED: 6/23/11 9:20 AM

This is all great. Thanks, everyone.

Good call, Chloe. I think I may use our DC Tri benefit to at least get assessed, and find out if it's a time, or 'you really need help' thing :P

It seems that SSPT has really helped folks from the club...

Abby, I'll look into the one in Ballston, too.

-Trevor

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria