Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Quick Spit Antifog = Severe Corneal Abrasion (Eye Damage)
CREATED: 09/12/13 by mina REPLIES: 6
mina's ravatar mina    JOINED: 12/7/12    POSTS: 25
Quick Spit Antifog = Severe Corneal Abrasion (Eye Damage)
POSTED: 9/12/13 9:11 AM

Hi:

I just wanted to let everyone know what happened to my husband in Nation's tri and prevent anybody else to experience the same.

He is experiencing severe corneal abrasion (scratching of the cornea) from this product. It happened to his right eye and during open water swim of a triathlon race. At first we thought the burn is from the river, but it is from the chemicals and in his case it has caused severe corneal abrasion almost the size of my entire iris. In comparison, a LASIK procedure "burns" the cornea the size of the pupil and recovery is 2-3 days. It's been hurting as if he has broken glass in my eye. He saw immediate help after the race (that was 2hours after the swim was done - at first he thought had natural eye burn from the river). So He saw an optometrist (doctor of optometry) and the doctor prescribed antibiotic eye drops and also put a protective contact lens to speed up the healing. It's 4 days since this incident, and 4 doctor visits later and He is not completely healed. The risk associated with this product is not worth the advantage. Avoid it, but if you insist on using it rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse off very well. Our spray is in the garbage.

We DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY ANTI FOG SPRAYS ARE NOT MADE FROM BIODEGRADABLE AND SAFE CHEMICALS!

I have been thinking about consumer complaints to get this product off the market for our triathlete, swimmer benefit and all active people out there.

Let me know if you had experienced similar or the same case.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 167
RE: Quick Spit Antifog = Severe Corneal Abrasion (Eye Damage)
POSTED: 9/12/13 10:21 AM

I had a similar experience with Quick Spit, but perhaps not as severe as your husband's b/c I wear contact lenses. The Quick Spit caused a burning sensation in my eyes that went away after a few hours. I typically spray my goggles and then immediately put them on. I've never had a problem w/ Speedo or TYR anti-fog. Quick Spit was terrible and I threw it away after one use. I think I read in one review that if you spray it and allow it to air dry it didn't cause stinging, but I agree with you - no product made to use near your eyes should lead to such a stinging sensation. Hope your husband is fully healed soon.

Joyce

pmart15's ravatar pmart15    JOINED: 12/14/09    POSTS: 120
POSTED: 9/12/13 10:45 AM

I've only used Quick Spit and haven't had any issues. I always spray, rub it into the lenses, and rinse for 10-15 seconds or until the bubbles are gone. I believe it says you must rinse it off beforehand but I don't have the directions in front of me.

I hope your husband is alright.

simba2109's ravatar simba2109    JOINED: 6/23/11    POSTS: 53
POSTED: 9/12/13 12:14 PM

I'm sorry this happened to your husband and I hope he will be okay.

We use Quick Spit for all of our goggles. However, we always spray it on, rinse it out and then let it air dry overnight. I never spray the goggles and then put them immediately on or even within a few hours. I have forgotten to spray the goggles before a race and had to rely on my own spit to clear the goggles rather than use Quick Spray on them because I didn't feel I had sufficient time to let them air dry.

It might be worth a call to the company to talk to them about what happened. It would even be better for the company to put bigger lettering on the product that says rinse and air dry after spraying.

mina's ravatar mina    JOINED: 12/7/12    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 9/12/13 1:06 PM

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Doctors have never seen anything like this before. They were amazed by how we can have a product like that and use it too close to our eyes! It claims that it is natural and biodegradable, HIGHLY Doubt that! I will call them.

There is nothing about air drying on the instruction. It says rinse it off. I use my own spit and will be doing it from now. It is not worth it.

Simba: I am glad you are air drying it, I don't want this happen to anybody else.

Joyce: I wish the product wouldn't be around for us to buy and damage our eyes.

I don't understand why we buy or even have this type of products in the market for swimming goggle use this close to our eyes! It is pretty dangerous and not worth it.

Spot99    JOINED: 4/15/11    POSTS: 11
POSTED: 9/12/13 4:07 PM

Real spit works well and has no ill effects. There is a natural thing in spit that prevents fog on the goggles. Spit in the goggles rub it around with your finger and do a light rinse. Just a little spit works best. I did this as diver and also found that it works well in the pool.

I hope you husband heals fast. Eye problems are worse.

dave

sandyc's ravatar sandyc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 288
POSTED: 9/12/13 7:33 PM

I too had a bad experience with Quick Spit. I had previously always used Tyr anti-fog spray. Never had a problem with it for years. Made my brief return to triathlon this year with Raleigh 70.3, and used Quick Spit for the first time at the race (rookie mistake....nothing new on race day). My eyes burned so badly during the swim, I had to stop several times and try to rinse them out with lake water. They were bloodshot for a good couple of days afterwards. Like Trevor, I was probably saved from more damage due to the fact that I wear contact lenses.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria