Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Congrats NTP!!
CREATED: 07/26/09 by siehndel REPLIES: 23
siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1068
Congrats NTP!!
POSTED: 7/26/09 7:06 PM

Congratulations to our newest batch of DC Triathletes! Everyone looked strong and persevered through the heat today for another great showing at NJ State Tri.

Our newbies won 2nd place in the club challenge. Not bad for a bunch of rookies!

manuelarenata's ravatar manuelarenata    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 28
RE: Congrats NTP!!
POSTED: 7/26/09 7:17 PM

I didn't drown, I didn't crash and I didn't bonk. My goal was to break 3 hours and I did it, just barely, with only 48 seconds to spare. Encouraging!!! The DC Triathlon New Triathletes Program is awsome. Thank you leaders Amy, Casey, Julia, Phil, Sandy, Travis and Will!
Renata

alya72's ravatar alya72    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 7/26/09 7:37 PM

Great job, NTPers! Wish I could have been there to cheer all of you on!

Amy

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 7/26/09 8:38 PM

All of you look so strong out there on all aspects of the course. You all ROCK!!!
I also want to send a shot out to Shelly(You are an inspiration), who had her chip removed because she didn't make the swim cut when she got to shore and DID complete the whole 1500 meters. She did not get discouraged, and the crowd was cheering LET HER FINISH!!!!! Well that did not discourage her, she immediately looked up and ran for the transition. Got on her bike and continued with the course. With heart like that, I really can't wait to see what she will achieve in this sport.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1331
POSTED: 7/26/09 8:43 PM

Very cool post Mark. It puts thing into perspective.

It's not about being faster than the person in front of you. It's about being faster than those who never started.

Tuan

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 7/26/09 9:04 PM

Great work today by all NTPers! I was amazed at dinner last night with how many people raised their hands that this was their first tri. Judging by the number of smiles I saw on faces of those in the DC Tri red and blue jerseys today...I think everyone got a lot out of their NTP experience. Well done!

janealonso's ravatar janealonso    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 7/26/09 9:28 PM

I just want to say thank you to all the NTP co-leaders and mentors and volunteers who cheered us on today in NJ. It was an awesome experience and I am kind of overwhelmed by how great it feels to have finished a race!

I also want to give a shout out to a fellow NTPer, Kristen Emerson. She just learned to swim this year after a lifetime of being afraid of the water -- and while on the sprint course today (during her first tri) she was kicked in the head and lost her goggles early in the race. Instead of giving up, she soldiered on and finished the entire swim course doing the backstroke. Her courage to not give up is really impressive.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 7/26/09 11:04 PM

Great job to all the NTPers. It was amazing seeing so many of you coming out of the bike/run transition with smiles on your face. You all looked very impressive.

You have every right to be proud of yourselves now. You are now officially triathletes. :)

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 7/26/09 11:15 PM

Way to kick some boot-tay out there today! I had a blast being up there cheering everyone of you on. Shelly, you rock! So much heart in you!

ajulia's ravatar ajulia    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 145
POSTED: 7/27/09 9:54 AM

Congratulations triathletes! I hope you are all as proud as we were to see you cross the finish line yesterday :o)

A number of people from other clubs said to me afterwards to say they couldn't believe this was a group of new triathletes, because you all looked so strong and supportive of each other on the course. Way to work together, and stick with it, even on that brutally hot run.

I can't wait to hear everyone's stories about race day. See you all at NTP happy hour on Friday!

marysue20    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 7/27/09 10:01 AM

Congrats everyone! I was really happy to participate! However...apparently I was disqualified for something? Anyone know how to find out what I did? I got my times so that's good, but I don't understand why. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 616
POSTED: 7/27/09 10:15 AM

Marysue, did you get caught in the "plugs at the end of your bike handlebars" check? They were DQ'ing for that. You can email the race organizers. In any case, penalties / dq's are a part of tri life. Don't let it discourage you and focus on how your race went otherwise. It happens.

The club board, NTP organizers, and volunteer leaders did a fabulous job this year - thanks guys. It's true that this year the NTP class was especially fast and seemingly vet-like. Great job gang. Our club rocks and another point of note is the club challenge, where we took second. Just wait til NorthEast!

Club scoring- COMBINED TIME TOP 5 FINISHERS ONE FINISHER BEING A WOMAN
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. 11:36:51 DC Tri (2:19:23)
============================
1 2:11:52 2213 Carter Groome M 37
2 2:13:51 2231 Richard Rapine M 37
3 2:20:27 2175 Travis Siehndel M 32
4 2:24:35 2188 Adam Stolzberg M 33
5 2:26:06 2568 Jennifer Leehey F 24

Speaking of NorthEast, if you want an easier drive (how 'bout that traffic), and want to see how we turn out for our key event, the Mid Atlantic Club Championships, sign up for it by emailing the race director. We are the Mid Atlantic Club champs 4 times and are going for our 5th straight. The red white and blue of DC tri will swarm that course.

That all said, that NJ the run course is torturous and some of the NJ competitors are jerky. Near the bottom of my fav race list.

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 7/27/09 10:19 AM

Travis is in NTP now? I call that a ringer!

Unrelated, I emailed the race director at Northeast and never heard back. Do you think that they are now really full rather than almost full?

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 7/27/09 11:24 AM

Congrats to all my NTP peeps!!! SHELLY!!! Way to show us how it's done! You are hardcore, woman!

you all did fantastic! it may have looked like I was cheering at the NYC tri, but I was thinking of ALL of you!
So PROUD!

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 7/27/09 11:28 AM

And Jeanne even asked about the NTPers when I (and the other people in the car) stopped at one of the I-95 roadside malls and randomly saw her there in the food court. :)

mccannjl's ravatar mccannjl    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 216
POSTED: 7/27/09 11:42 AM

I saw dc peeps at 3 different rest stops. i was everywhere, baby. :)

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 7/27/09 12:54 PM

My first year with DC Tri Club, and though not officially part of the NTP program, was incredibly impressed watching all of you out there...since I was in the last flippin' wave, I was able to take some great pictures at the race start.

Travis, or anyone else, where is the best place I can send them?

All of you looked great - and congratulations to all of you.

Shelly girl, I have a great picture of you...and way to go!!! I watch you start your swim...what determination - so glad you didn't give up.

So much fun being there...special thanks to Mark for all his encouragement prior to my swim and for driving.

Paula

kemerson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 64
POSTED: 7/27/09 1:39 PM

Congrats to everyone on a very tough yet wonderful day. I switched to the Sprint the day before and was very glad I did because of the challenges I had on the swim. Didnt see alot of DC tri people but everyone I saw on the sprint course was cheerful and supportive of eachother. Special thanks to Candace and Jane knew how tough that swim was for me even before getting kicked in the head and were great help in getting me through it. You guys are awesome. Thanks! Candace, great job on that run. I know that was tough for you and you looked great when you passed me. :)

ssinclai's ravatar ssinclai    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 7/27/09 2:47 PM

Congratulations to everyone!!

Hugh and Mark, thank you so much for cheering me on yesterday at the swim. Mark, many thanks for cheering me on and for the Gu. It was great to see familiar faces at the swim finish. I needed it!!

The swim was rough. But even if I had to crawl out of the water, I was going to finish the swim. I kept thinking I did not train or drive all the way up to Jersey to quit.

It was nice to see my mom and familiar faces when I got out of the water. And Mark, it was nice to know they were cheering to allow me to continue the race. When they took my timing chip, I was like oh no. I wasn’t really sure what was going on. But I was still running to transition.

I went on to finish the bike in 1:29 and the run in 1:06. To be the last person out of the water and passing four other people on the run to the finish line meant a lot.

It was great to see my mom and my DC Tri family there at the finish.
Thanks for your support and words of encouragement guys. This is a truly a day I will never forget. I finished!!

Of course today after the adrenaline is gone, I am feeling very sad about the swim. It's natural. I must now tri harder. Go DC Tri.

Again, congratulations to everyone and to those who PR'd.

Thanks again for your support.

Take care,

Shelly

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 7/27/09 3:02 PM

Shelly,

What an inspiring recount of your race – congratulations on your great accomplishment.

Don’t be sad about your swim – you came out of the water – and finished the race.

Check out the series of pictures of your swim exit under the photo link (Lost and Found) on the New Jersey Tri website. Photo # 36562-308-007 through 36562-308-010.

That is the most exuberant swim exit I’ve ever seen – you need to order that picture with your arms outstretched and that big smile on your face – how can you be sad about that?! What a beautiful picture. You overcame a lot to get there, and finished the whole race.

We are all very proud of you – keep rockin’ it girl – you’re awesome!

Paula

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria