Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Spring training at Lake Anna - 31 March
CREATED: 03/14/12 by tgalbert REPLIES: 39
tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
Spring training at Lake Anna - 31 March
POSTED: 3/14/12 1:53 PM

Hey all! Some of you may remember, I put together a group to go down to Lake Anna and get some OWS practice in before some of us kick off the start of tri season with Rumpus in April.

With that said, please reserve a spot through the Eventbrite announcement and come down to the State Park and let's do some swimming! We're going to kick off around 10am and reacquaint ourselves with the brisk water and group swimming. The water will be cold, so please wear appropriate swim garments and have a towel and warm clothes to put on afterwards.

Disclaimer, this'll be be a swim opportunity, not to be confused with a clinic. Please know how to swim before coming. You can use this opportunity to meet veteran swimmers and learn from them if you've never been in open water before.

Additionally, Adam provided the bike courses for other races if you want to get on the bike after your swim and pre-ride any courses.

Camping:
Camping is on your own the night before or the night after, and completely optional.

We'll have a BBQ in the late afternoon for those who want to make a day of it and enjoy the park all day.

Try to carpool if you can to save on gas. $5 entry per car into the park. Meeting down at the parking lot by the water where everyone parks for all the races.

If you have any questions, ask them and I'll try to answer them as best I can. I'll provide additional information as necessary.

-Trevor

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 537
RE: Spring training at Lake Anna - 31 March
POSTED: 3/14/12 9:29 PM

Awesome, thanks again for stepping up and volunteering to lead this Trevor! All, please sign up here: http://www.dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=interact.events&id=622 and use this forum for any questions, to organize carpools, plan workouts, etc.
Should be a great weekend!
- Adam

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 3/15/12 6:53 AM

Sounds awesome. I have another commitment on Saturday unfortunately, but I will try to make it down on Sunday, if anyone is sticking around for the weekend and is interested.

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1772
POSTED: 3/15/12 8:47 AM

Trevor hosted a number of workouts last spring for folks training for Rumpus in Bumpass, Kinetic Half, & PeasantMan. Sounds like a nice followup.

rah2774's ravatar rah2774    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 249
POSTED: 3/21/12 9:29 AM

excellent... if the water is too warm (i.e., above 60), I may have to go sans wetsuit to fully prepare myself for CDA. Shudder.
Interested in car pooling. I'm coming from Old Town. Not sure if I'm bringing my bike (prolly not) - may run after the swim instead knowing I'll be out with Royalty the next day communing with the hills of Potomac, MD.

cmofiesh    JOINED: 12/9/11    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 3/25/12 4:42 PM

Hey! I am looking for a ride to this event for Saturday, any offers? I could camp the night before or just go down on Saturday morning. I am happy to contribute gas money and cookies!

I'm also looking to ride the Rumpass Sprint bike course or check out the run course.

Caetie

rpcvadriana    JOINED: 1/3/12    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 3/25/12 8:43 PM

Two things...
1. I've swam in Lake Anna a number of time but never this early- will a long john wetsuit be sufficient or should I rent one with sleeves?

2. @ Caetie - I have space in my car. I'm leaning towards camping the night before and would like to ride the lake anna half course after swimming so I'll be out on the bike for a while longer after you finish the Rumpass route....email me, acbrakefield AT gmail DOT com, and we could probably figure something out.

Adrianne

POSTED: 3/26/12 1:38 PM

Last year (to the weekend) there were a couple people wearing sleeveless, and only the one dude did alright (from what I recall). How are you in cold water?

Current temps are around 60*

I will be wearing my full suit.

http://www.annapoint.com/fishingreport.html

http://dom.com/about/stations/nuclear/north-anna/waste-heat-treatment-facility.jsp

POSTED: 3/26/12 1:38 PM

now with clicky

POSTED: 3/26/12 1:51 PM

awesome... that's about perfect (in a sick and twisted way) since it's already warmer than CDA last year.
I'll be in a full with a neoprene cap (to get used to the chin strap, pretty annoying...)
bring on the cold water!

ctmartin's ravatar ctmartin    JOINED: 4/27/09    POSTS: 23
POSTED: 3/28/12 9:12 AM

Anyone leaving from the MD side? I need a ride, and I would like to bring my bike.

I'm in the Takoma Park/SS area, and could pretty easily get anywhere metro accessible.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 3/28/12 9:26 AM

So what are people thinking in terms of timing? Brady and I are planning on leaving from Virginia at 7:30, and then riding the Kinetic Half course when we get there, with a swim to follow. Are most people planning on riding and then swimming, to let the air warm up? If so, is there a consensus time people are looking to clip in?

Sean

POSTED: 3/28/12 9:42 AM

FWIW, I'm planning to swim first bc I have to get used to freezing my arse off (shudder)... then riding (but will likely do an easy spin/2 loops of the sprint course since my long ride will be Sun in Potomac/Poolesville).

As far as I understand it, the BBQ isn't until 2ish or so... so there will be downtime post swim if you've already ridden.

Car pool: I'm in Alexandria/Old Town if anyone wants to carpool... it'll be me and a bike. I could conceivably drive one or two other people putting the trunk rack on my car (if we have 3 bikes, my bike will have to go in the trunk (I have a little bike) so there would be less room in the back seat.

POSTED: 3/28/12 9:59 AM

Please don't feel like to have to follow my loose schedule. If you just want a short swim, awesome. If you want to break out early to do your own thing, have at it.

Tentative schedule:

10am swim, most people will likely be out by 11 or so because it's friggin cold - also, I can't guarantee support in the water after the main group of swimmers gets out, so if you're coming late you may be on your own for OWS.

11am-2pm - your choice of bike and/or run. I encourage you to form groups of who is riding where and at what speeds.

I'll be prepping for cooking and such around 1:30 and try to have some vittles ready by 2pm as people come back from their bike or run.

rpcvadriana    JOINED: 1/3/12    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 3/28/12 10:33 AM

For those riding the kinetic half - what is your typical speed? Riding is more of a priorty than swimming so I could ride at any time.

Is anyone camping out Friday night - I will if there are others... I have a car and could fit one other person and bike or more w/o bikes. I'd be leaving from DC either Friday night or Saturday morning returning Saturday evening.

SeanG's ravatar SeanG    JOINED: 4/8/09    POSTS: 160
POSTED: 3/28/12 12:54 PM

I'd say we'll be going around 19-20mph average.

POSTED: 3/28/12 1:34 PM

I've added a Ride Speed column to the Spreadsheet if you wanted to fill that in to give others a good idea of what you are looking to do.

Great discussions!

chuckmcgee's ravatar chuckmcgee    JOINED: 3/12/11    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 3/28/12 1:40 PM

I may be attending, but the link to sign up says it's sold out. maybe the water will be completely full of DC Tri Club members and we can simulate the swim start of IMLP! Excellent.

POSTED: 3/28/12 1:54 PM

good idea. looks like most folks are riding the Kinetic half course. That being the case, I'll follow the crowd (to avoid getting lost), but only do 1 loop.

That will wrap me up early if you need help w BBQ prep, Trevor. But, knowing your grilling expertise, I will defer the handling and cooking of meatstuffs to you.

Oh, and thanks to High Cloud for providing course nutrition!

POSTED: 3/28/12 1:59 PM

Thanks Becky.

Just for clarification, Nutrition will not be on the course, but it will be available where we're all meeting.

Each person is responsible for taking adequate water/nutrition with them wherever they go.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria