Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Arlington DC Tri-ers: Getting to Nation's on Sunday
CREATED: 09/02/13 by ARN25 REPLIES: 10
ARN25's ravatar ARN25    JOINED: 1/18/13    POSTS: 38
Arlington DC Tri-ers: Getting to Nation's on Sunday
POSTED: 9/02/13 12:02 PM

It's my understanding that metro isn't open early on Sunday, September 8. In the past, how have DC Tri-ers from the Arlington area made it down to the Nation's start? Trying to figure out the best way so as not to be tired by the time I get down there.

Thanks!
Angela

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1736
RE: Arlington DC Tri-ers: Getting to Nation's on Sunday
POSTED: 9/02/13 12:43 PM

The race site states transportation to the transition area (maybe a shuttle bus) will get posted. Your bike with lights & a backpack for your running shoes, etc. is a straight-arrow way to get there & back.

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 474
POSTED: 9/02/13 9:48 PM

Hey Angela,
In the past I've used my commuter bike to get down there with my backpack and a lock and picked it up later in the day.
Another good option I may do is Capital Bikeshare.

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 9/03/13 9:03 AM

Angela,

The best way is to ply one of your best friends to wake up ass-early and drive you down there. I've been the one driven and I've been the one driving. Just be sure you are dropped off in allowable areas and do it before 530, as roads completely close shortly thereafter.

More details can be found HERE

tkopan's ravatar tkopan    JOINED: 4/7/12    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 9/04/13 1:56 PM

Wait, Metro isn't opening early? Dear lord, I was going to post this thread but thankful you already did.
How on earth are people supposed to get there?

tgalbert's ravatar tgalbert    JOINED: 9/30/10    POSTS: 403
POSTED: 9/04/13 2:04 PM

Ply your friends with the promise of gratitude and happiness. Or beer. Beer goes over well.

In the past I've had friends drop me off at transition (kind of a tuck and roll), which worked swimmingly.

You can also walk. Ride a spare bike. Call a taxi. Navigate yourself to the host hotel and take a shuttle. Magic carpet. Have a large man named Sven carry you, human cannonball.

I highly encourage the former option of asking a friend to do that. I'm sure you have some favours to cash in with some of your buddies...

Speaking of which, anyone want to give me a ride down there from Arlington?

Hearts,
Trevor

chucifer    JOINED: 3/14/13    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 9/04/13 6:05 PM

Remember to not get dropped off on Independence. Something about getting DQ'd if they catch you. Better safe than sorry.

In past years, Ive been dropped off on 23rd St.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 9/04/13 6:11 PM

Drive early and park on 23rd street near Constitution - very easy and I do it every year for that race. Then nap in your car. Easy exit from there as well after the race.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 950
POSTED: 9/04/13 7:11 PM

You could just cab it over there. Or Uber it.

HolliMarie's ravatar HolliMarie    JOINED: 6/21/11    POSTS: 185
POSTED: 9/04/13 7:47 PM

Bikeshare people. There's a station right on Ohio Dr. It's a nice warmup/wakeup and I can almost guarantee it won't impact your race performance.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 9/05/13 8:42 PM

The only problem with Capital Bikeshare is that the nearest station (West Potomac Park) is likely to fill up quickly that morning. Check the Spotcycle phone app before heading out. There are other stations at the Jefferson Memorial, the Smithsonian Metro and north of the Mall.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria