Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Lance to Race Half Full Tri on 10/7
CREATED: 09/19/12 by Luke REPLIES: 30
Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 364
Lance to Race Half Full Tri on 10/7
POSTED: 9/19/12 11:51 AM

Lance Armstrong will race the Half-Full Triathlon on October 7th, competing in the cancer survivor wave!

http://blog.livestrong.org/2012/09/19/lance-to-race-half-full-tri-for-ulman-fund/

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
RE: Lance to Race Half Full Tri on 10/7
POSTED: 9/19/12 12:45 PM

I was going to be there to watch Bougie v. Brady anyway....

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 504
POSTED: 9/19/12 10:23 PM

Now it will clearly be Bougie vs. Brady vs. Lance.

RT

POSTED: 9/19/12 10:37 PM

My bet is on Lance! No disrespect to Bougie or Brady ;-)

POSTED: 9/19/12 10:41 PM

I think Bougie & Brady need to pump up this showdown... much like the old Dan vs Dave!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

(sorry for the poor quality resolution... it was 1992! and I suppose we were all dying to run in Reeboks!)

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1752
POSTED: 9/20/12 9:25 AM

Take that, SADAists!

Wonder if there's a full, unbanned IM he could race in, just to see what his time might be...

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1298
POSTED: 9/20/12 9:48 AM

Well, Ed. It's pretty easy for him to extrapolate what his time would be at the Iron distance. All he needs to do is pick up the phone and call Paul Ryan :)

Tuan

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 428
POSTED: 9/20/12 10:51 AM

Sounds like this is going to be epic...
...and best of all NO USAT=NO RULES!!!

-Brady

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
POSTED: 9/20/12 11:16 AM

Invite Lance to compete at the Hains Point TT on 10/6.

markhakd's ravatar markhakd    JOINED: 10/8/09    POSTS: 223
POSTED: 9/23/12 9:06 PM

More info about the Half Full tri being "de-sanctioned" by USAT:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bs-ae-lance-armstrong-20120920,0,5729283.story

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 457
POSTED: 9/24/12 6:02 AM

Desanctioning the event really tarnishes the Half Full and Rev3! I raced the Half Full the first year, but never again after this stunt.

POSTED: 9/24/12 12:50 PM

9.20 Baltimore Sun article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features/bs-ae-lance-armstrong-20120920,0,5729283.story#tugs_story_display

POSTED: 9/24/12 1:09 PM

Quote from the article Ed posted:
"Half Full organizers say Armstrong's presence at the event trumps official sanctioning"

WTF! Why are they plagiarizing the PeasantMan Athlete's Guide?
"PeasantMan trumps all official sanctioning"

Tuan

ballstoncyclist's ravatar ballstoncyclist    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 492
POSTED: 9/24/12 1:16 PM

I fully agree with Kevin D. We (yes, the collective we) are part of an organized sport with set rules and also benefits. I once had high hopes of REV3 becoming a serious alternative to WTC, but this stunt clearly shows their lack of commitment to the sport.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 957
POSTED: 9/24/12 3:42 PM

Considering Rev3 does not technically own the HalfFull Tri and only donates their services to the Ullman Cancer fund produced race, I'm not sure this really tarnishes their reputation or lack of commitment to the sport. At least, I don't think so, and I'm more inclined to race with them because they put the purpose of this race (raising funds for cancer research) above a racer's desire to be USAT ranked for one single race.

Also, Armstrong has never broken any rules set by USAT and has never been found guilty of doping, just has allegations.

tycottrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 100
POSTED: 9/24/12 3:51 PM

I'm not sure how their efforts to draw sufficient interest in the race (a late season race in a non-sexy location) to keep it alive shows a lack of commitment to the sport. Lance is a divisive figure, but is unquestionably a huge draw (ask WTC--Lance was their 2012 marketing campaign).

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 9/24/12 10:49 PM

I don't get all the holier than thou responses every time someone mentions LA. I also don't get why the USAT would ban someone from all races for alleged Inproprieties in another sport. Just let the guy race. If anything let him race with the age groupers and keep him off the podium, it doesn't hurt anything and I'm sure there are people who have committed far worse felonious crimes still racing in the AG ranks.

POSTED: 9/24/12 11:26 PM

Rev3 has decided to reconsider its decision, and turn the matter over to a panel of judges--made up of NFL replacement officials...

POSTED: 9/25/12 7:32 AM

USAT is a signatory to the World Anti-Doping Agency. They are required to ban Lance from all of their sanction races, whether they like it or not or agree with the WADA ruling or not. They can't cherry pick what they like or what they don't like out of that agreement. WADA has to accept USADA's ruling that Lance is in violation just like USAT has to accept WADA's. Any ill-feelings toward USAT is misplaced.

Lance doesn't have to break any USAT rules to be denied to race USAT sanctioned races. He agreed to that when he signed up for his pro card. If North Korea, which is also a signatory to WADA, rules that Lance doped at one of their sanctioned ping pong competitions, WADA and USAT has to abide by that. Lance can go to the The Court of Arbitration for Sport to appeal if he disagrees. So far, Lance, by default, has accepted USADA's ruling. He didn't have to, but he did.

Lance is banned from USAT races just like he is banned from all sanctioned equestrian, curling, synchronize swimming, and ping pong competitions. It's been like this prior to Lance, during Lance, and will be after Lance. We may or may not agree with it, but that's a reality.

You get into a dicey situation when you make exceptions to one particular athlete, like the half full/Rev3 folks have found out. Rules are made or should be made with the sport in mind, not a particular athlete in mind.

We can debate all we want about whether Lance doped, whether he should be allowed to race triathlons, or whether he was treated fairly. Lance lovers will love. Lance haters will hate. The reality is that USAT is bound by agreement with WADA to keep Lance from USAT sanctioned races. We, as individual consumers, can speak our minds by either participating or not participating in races that are USAT sanctioned or races that Lance is in. That will speak louder than anything we can say.

If Lance wants to race PeasantMan, he knows how to contact me :)

Tuan

P.S ... did you guys notice how I threw a shameless plug for PeasantMan in there? I know ... brilliant :)

vkanders    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 44
POSTED: 9/25/12 8:44 AM

That's too bad, I was hoping he'd come to my team's synchronized swimming meet this December.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria