DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Lance to Race Half Full Tri on 10/7
CREATED: 09/19/12 by Luke REPLIES: 30
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1334
RE: Lance to Race Half Full Tri on 10/7
POSTED: 9/25/12 8:53 AM

Vicky,

Don't get me started on how the synchronized swimming community discriminates against men.

vkanders    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 9/25/12 8:55 AM

1. Don't ever call me Vicky again.

2. The only exclusion is at the Olympics and World Championships, and that's the IOC, not the synchronized swimming community/governing bodies. In fact, the team I coach had a boy swimming with us for two years.

3. Come to practice sometime.

POSTED: 9/25/12 8:57 AM

Is it wetsuit legal? I don't go into the pool without one.

vkanders    JOINED: 7/4/11    POSTS: 45
POSTED: 9/25/12 8:58 AM

Maybe, just for you, we can allow it.

novasupra's ravatar novasupra    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 70
POSTED: 9/25/12 10:31 AM

so let LA turn in his pro card and let him race as an age grouper.

my point is i'm sure there are normal every day people in the age group ranks that have committed far worse crimes than the allegations against LA. I'm purely speculating but i'm sure if we took a random pool of age groupers, you would find racers with felony records and probably even some serious felonies that people have gone to trial, been convicted and done time for. None of which has happened to LA yet. I know the USAT is tied to the WADA and all the other organizations but the whole thing seems like a double standard. Just let him race, it doesn't hurt anyone, if he wants to race with no chance for podium or prize money what's the harm? Especially if he's doing it to support local charities. I'd rather race next to him than some convicted murderer. At least I can catch a good draft off of LA.

POSTED: 9/25/12 12:18 PM

Lance can turn in his pro card, but he still needs to buy a one day USAT license to race as an AG. That's where they get you :)

Felonies are not covered under WADA. It's not a question of what crimes are worst. It's a question of what items are covered under a given set of rules. If it was a question of the severity of crimes, I'd consider the assaults and molestations that occurs in an IM mass swim way worse than what Lance does.

I've done a WTC and non-WTC Ironman in Europe. Over there, they require you to show membership from your national federation, if you're not local, in order to race. If you don't have one (i.e., valid USAT card for Americans), you can to buy a one day license from the local federation in order to race.

There are 193 countries that adhere to WADA. I think that there are more than 193 countries in the world. I supposed Lance can find one country among those non-193 countries to get his license. After that, he can race in lots of places in Europe. Loophole found. Problem solved. Everyone is happy :)

Lance does have options out there, but not many. He just won a non-sanction marathon, so it's not like he's can't race anywhere for the rest of his life or that you can never race next to him.

I hear most of the ping pong touraments in Saigon are non-sanctioned.

What the hell are we talking about again? I lost track after the wetsuit legal synchronized swim thingy.

Tuan

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 9/26/12 8:03 AM

Response from REV3 owner Charlie Patten...
Rev3 Responds To Lance Armstrong Race Invitation

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 224
POSTED: 9/27/12 11:22 AM

The reality of the situation is that our sport is relatively young and still gaining a sense of itself. Triathlon just became an Olympic sport at the 2000 Sydney games and isn't even an official NCAA sport... yet.

As it currently stands, USADA is a joke, USAT is a poorly run organization, and WTC blows. To believe that these organizations are beyond reproach is laughable. If they continue to make bad decisions and be poorly managed, other organizations will rise up and replace them or we (the athletes) will force them to change their policies. If you disagree, I suggest you try to find the relevancy of the AAU in modern American sports. (quick... do a google search and post a witty reply)

I'm no Lance fan but the standard of guilt is a positive A and B sample. Period. Produce it or go f*ck yourself. I mean, seriously... all this sh*t happened almost a decade ago! If they can do this to him, who is to say you won't be next? Makes you think twice, eh?

As for Rev3, the folks who own that series are local and, from what I've heard, they're the nicest people you'll ever meet. They put on quality events, have reasonable fees, coherent cancellation policies, and they actually pay the pros in a timely manner. Save the first data point, WTC does none of these things. If you read the article from Brady's post, I'm sure you'll see that money certainly isn't the motivating factor for them in all of this. I am racing the Half Full and was adversely affected by their decision to let Lance compete in the cancer survivor category but, not only do I still intend to race, I'm more likely to race Rev3 in the future.

-Ferguson

Luke's ravatar Luke    JOINED: 11/28/10    POSTS: 375
POSTED: 9/27/12 1:08 PM

Wow... yet again, I've kicked up another Forum Firestorm! Much like To Shave... Or Not To Shave??
http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/messages.cfm?tid=6D05949A-0961-229C-EC87076083F74082

I appreciate Tuan's content rich replies... I really learned a lot from these! Including several things about what I need to do if I want to play competitive ping pong in Saigon!

Lance is an issue we can debate at great length. While no concrete evidence has ever been presented showing he's guilty of doping, it is unsettling that he is not challenging this latest allegation. I agree with him that enough is enough (how many times should a man be forced to defend himself?), yet the decision not to defend himself leads me to believe he is guilty. Yet we can all agree the process is unfair. And the punishment of being banned from other sports under other governing bodies seems unfair too. Yet I respect his decision to race wherever he can (much like former White Sox player Joe Jackson playing minor league baseball under another name in Shoeless Joe).

I'm a little mixed on the Half-Full issue. On the one hand, I think this presents a great opportunity for the average man/woman (which is basically all of us except for Ben & Stephanie who have or should have pro cards!) to race the greatest cyclist of all time and to compete against arguably the greatest athlete of all time (that I'm sure will stir up a new debate!) On the other hand, by the Half-Full deciding it's more important to have Lance than to maintain the race's USAT sanction, the event is sending the message that Lance is bigger than the sport (so much for all of the times I told kids on the swim team I used to coach to make sure to get to the start in time because they won't wait for you... nobody is bigger than the sport). On the whole, I'm OK but not thrilled with the decision, so long as it stays limited to just a one-time move by small race of a weird distance, trying to raise money for cancer.

My biggest complaint with the Half-Full is the fact that this race is the USAT Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Triathlon Championship. Lance or no Lance, the odd distance alone (a 32 mile bike in an Olympic triathlon!) should be enough to remove this race from consideration as a championship race. The fact that the race lost its USAT sanction should only reinforce that decision.

-Luke

ferguson's ravatar ferguson    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 224
POSTED: 9/27/12 1:26 PM

Well done Luke! Float a controversial topic and let the masses wax poetic with their philosophical diatribe.

And, to settle the other issues:

Real men shave... because they can!

Jim Thorpe was the greatest athlete who ever lived!

... so let it be written.

-Ferguson

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 9/27/12 1:33 PM

definitely shave

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria