Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
CREATED: 05/21/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 53
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
POSTED: 5/21/10 12:14 PM

The inaugural Half Full Triathlon (non-standard 70.0 miles) will be staged this October in and around Ellicott City, Md. Spots are still available by the way.

The website doesn't have any info about the course yet, other than to say that the course will be "challenging and UNIQUE to the Half Full Triathlon." So I gather that this won't be the same course as the (Olympic) Columbia Tri. I've never ridden around the Columbia/Ellicott City area but I've been informed that there are a lot of hills.

Just how hilly is it, say, in comparison to something like Potomac, Md.? There were a lot of up and downs on the route for the Vasa Ride in Potomac.

I'll have to do more bike hill work this summer but I'd also like to be mentally prepared for a hilly course at the Half Full. Thus, if anyone can post a brief description of what to expect in that area, I'd appreciate it. The biggest difficulty I had with the Vasa Ride was not expecting the hills ahead of time. I made it through the 59-mile ride OK but I know it would have been a lot easier if I had been able to visualize the course and get my mind ready before tackling those hills.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
POSTED: 5/21/10 12:23 PM

I am doing Half Full, but I am in hill denial, as always.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 5/21/10 12:29 PM

Looks like they have a cue sheet posted if anyone is interested in mapping it out on something like ridewithgps.com to get an elevation profile:

http://www.halffulltri.org/Assets/Ulman+Cancer+Fund+Digital+Assets/docs/Half+Full+Bike+Cue.pdf

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 5/21/10 12:29 PM

I don't mind the hills (too much). I just don't want to be surprised by them. I've found that I don't like surprises during races. (That includes water temperature being colder than I expected.)

It's possible that the race organizers could just map out a route circling the lake and keep it completely flat. Then again, they did say that the course would be "challenging." Nasty word. But for some reason "challenging" isn't a 4-letter word.

POSTED: 5/21/10 12:34 PM

bsull, on what page of the website did you find that link? I don't see it anywhere on the regular pages.

I did take a look just now at the cue sheet. Interesting. Thanks. But it doesn't show where the hills are. Maybe I'll have to map it out on MapMyRide.com and click on the elevation link.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 5/21/10 12:37 PM

It was just under Event Information -> Course -> Course Maps & Cue Sheets. But it says the bike one is new, so maybe it wasn't there last time you checked.

-Brian

POSTED: 5/21/10 12:40 PM

I must be distracted today. I had just looked at that menu but I didn't notice the Course Maps and other sub-menu items on the right.

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
POSTED: 5/21/10 3:05 PM

I used to HATE hills because I was so bad st them. I started riding around Potomac & the first time I went to Columbia, I felt very prepared for the course. Having said that, I highly recommend the short drive up to Columbia to ride on a weekend day. There are loads of triathletes & cyclists out there every time I go & everyone is super friendly. And the scenery is awesome too.

POSTED: 5/21/10 6:01 PM

That sounds like a good idea except I don't have a car. I might rent one for a weekend or two.

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 5/21/10 6:11 PM

I also signed up for the 1/2 full so whenever you all want to schedule a ride up there, count me in.

tdn9999's ravatar tdn9999    JOINED: 7/16/09    POSTS: 49
POSTED: 5/21/10 6:11 PM

Also noticed the run is hilly as heck too.

POSTED: 5/21/10 6:16 PM

I won't be riding up there right away. I'm signed up for both Eagleman and the new Washington DC Triathlon on back-to-back weekends in June. (Don't ask me why I did that.) My focus is going to be on fine-tuning my training and peaking for Eagleman, and then trying to recover as much as I can and hold on for the shorter WDC Tri.

Then after a week or two of very casual workouts and active rest, I'll get back into base training for the fall tris: Nation's and Half Full. I won't be doing the hilly long rides in Columbia until July and August. Should be some nice broiling temperatures then. Strange as it may seem, I tend to feel better in the summer heat than in 50F weather. It takes a while for my legs to get warmed up on cooler days.

irishnd02's ravatar irishnd02    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 5/21/10 8:41 PM

Active recovery: Deep Creek

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1770
POSTED: 9/06/10 9:34 AM

Some of us rode the bike course yesterday in spectacular weather. The two-loop course is hilly, reminiscent of Columbia, whose course the Half Full parallels and intersects. The steepest hills are up the aptly named Mount Albert Rd, mi 6.3, and the short, blind ascent just after the stop sign at the intersection of Tridelphia Mill Rd. and Green Bridge Rd, mi 18.6. Course is also a beauty, through rolling farm country. There's a roughly three-mile stretch, along Tridelphia and Tridelphia Mill Rds., c mi 15-18.6, through fairly deep woods with significant ascents and descents, kinda technical, that's thrilling.

RE: Half Full Triathlon
POSTED: 9/06/10 9:50 AM

Interesting.

I did some shorter climbs and repeats up Walter Reed Drive in S. Arlington and in Glencarlyn Park along the W&OD Trail this summer, on both the bike and the run. Hopefully that will be enough to prepare me for the Half Full course.

Walter Reed Drive is fairly steep although not too long. According to MapMyRide.com, part of that road is over 20% incline. And although W&OD is relatively flat in the close-in section, if you take some of those turns onto Four Mile Run Trail and that exit path up to Harrison Drive in Glencarlyn Park, you can get some limited hill work in, short but very steep. I actually thought I would tip over backward the first time I rode up that path.

Nice to hear that there will be some shaded sections on the Half Full course. I guess it won't be super hot in early October but it's still nice to have that shade. It took a while for me to get over that nasty sunburn I got on the bike at Eagleman.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 104
POSTED: 9/06/10 7:47 PM

I'll likely be riding the course this coming weekend (9/11 and/or 9/12). Plan on doing a loop on the run course the "other" day of the ride.

emilyann's ravatar emilyann    JOINED: 5/24/10    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 9/07/10 7:47 AM

There's a supported training ride on the Half Full course 9/19. I was planning to go (I'd rather not be surprised), if anyone else is interested.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/event.php?eid=139111582790098

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 9/07/10 8:23 AM

I was thinking about riding the course tha weekend.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/07/10 9:38 AM

I am in denial of this whole race. Been mastering the art of taper for the last half of the summer with kid and vacation etc. Now that school is back in session and regular schedule - wonder if I can do a little cramming.

POSTED: 9/07/10 12:19 PM

I have the Nation's Tri this weekend. And I doubt I'll do the supported training ride on the 19th. I'm going to cut back a bit on the training hours in Sept. in preparation for the Half Full. I did a ton of riding this summer (including my first century ride) so I think I'll be ready.

I should be able to hold onto my peak fitness for a few weeks after Nation's. I was planning to hold back slightly on the Half Full anyway, somewhere in between a hard effort and just going out there to finish in a decent time (decent for me).

At least this time I have 3 full weeks in between races, unlike in June where I tried doing tris in consecutive weeks (Eagleman and Washington DC Triathlon). (That actually would have gone OK if not for my goggle issue and subsequent zig-zag swimming at Eagleman.)

I've mostly been thinking about Nation's Tri over the last few weeks, except for the added hill training over the summer. Once Nation's Tri is over, I'll start thinking about how I want to approach this race. And I'll spend some time looking at the course maps at the website.

Though I normally don't like cooler weather, I'm hoping for moderate temperatures at Half Full. All of my triathlon races have been in summer weather. It would be nice to do the long ride in low 70s weather.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria