Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
CREATED: 05/21/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 53
morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
RE: Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
POSTED: 9/13/10 2:33 PM

So who is in? I am still debating whether to head up to this race. Will everyone be in Myrtle Beach this year?

flaherty77    JOINED: 9/13/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 9/13/10 2:46 PM

I'm doing it- but just the bike as part of a relay team. Cycling course looks intense! Have you done this half full before? Any tips/observations?

POSTED: 9/13/10 2:56 PM

This is the first year for the Half Full - so no one has done this race before. I have done Columbia 4 xs - all in the rain-- which rides over similar route. And yes Columbia is all hills.

POSTED: 9/13/10 2:56 PM

This is the first year for the Half Full - so no one has done this race before. I have done Columbia 4 xs - all in the rain-- which rides over similar route. And yes Columbia is all hills.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 103
POSTED: 9/13/10 3:09 PM

Bike course is tough. I've ridden it five times over this summer. Last time was Saturday and I finally broke 3 hours... 2:54:33. 16 - 20 challenging hills altogether. Depending on weather, I'm probably riding it again this Saturday.

As an aside. I did a loop of the run course yesterday (yes... I am doing the race October 3). Hills galore here, too. Especially along Centenniel Lane. Second loop could be demoralizing if you're not prepped for it.

-- TJ

POSTED: 9/13/10 3:37 PM

Oh the joy - I am running Woodrow Wilson 1/2 this Sunday - let's see how that goes. There is no way I can get to Columbia before the race.

flaherty77    JOINED: 9/13/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 9/13/10 3:43 PM

Thanks TJ for the info- all very helpful -- yet intimidating-- to know. I'll be doing a lot of hill work in preparation over the next couple of weeks. Best of luck in the race!

dixonm's ravatar dixonm    JOINED: 7/1/09    POSTS: 73
POSTED: 9/13/10 5:40 PM

TJ, let me know if you guys are riding the course this weekend--I'd be up for that too now that Nation's is over. Will email you offline once I track down your business card :)

Feel free to shoot me a note at matthewxdixon at gmail dot com

Talk to you soon,

Matt

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 9/13/10 6:09 PM

I may be up for a course ride too this weekend.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/27/10 4:09 PM

Looks like morning race-day temperatures will be in the low to mid 50s. Do you all think a sleeveless tri jersey will be too cold for the race? Or would arm warmers or a short-sleeve bike jersey work better? At least it's not supposed to rain. (The forecast could change though.)

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 9/27/10 4:50 PM

In those temperatures, I'll be wearing arm warmers to start the bike. They are easy to pull down if it gets warmer and I'm not going to be burning up the course anyway so the extra time in transition isn't really a concern. I may also throw on knee warmers: not something I would do if I were concerned about time but given my lack of training, it might be good for me to do.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 459
POSTED: 9/27/10 4:52 PM

My thoughts with temps as low as 50 when I exit the water:

- Wear tri top under my wetsuit
- Put on a long-sleeve jersey (and perhaps stuff plastic bags under the jersey that I can ditch at an aid station) in T1
- Fingered bike gloves
- I will take the jersey off in T2 and run in my tri outfit

I just get real cold on the bike but have no problems warming up running.

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/28/10 4:32 AM

I have a sleeveless wetsuit. With the forecast predicting cooler temperatures every time I check, I might get those Quintana Roo Speed Sleeves, neoprene sleeves designed to go with sleeveless wetsuits. And maybe a neoprene swim cap.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1311
POSTED: 9/28/10 7:21 AM

Before you become NeopreneMan in the water, be aware that water temp and air temp may not necessarily correlate. IMFL several years back had air temp in the 40s while the water temp was low 70s. I did IM Cali 70.3 one year where the water temp was low 50s and air temp was near 70s ... so it goes both ways.

x2 on the arm warmers or longsleeve bike jersey if the air temp during the bike is in the 50s.

Tuan

POSTED: 9/28/10 10:20 AM

I tried looking up info about the water temperature in Centennial Lake. The only website I found was a fishing website that posted an estimated water temperature, based on some sort of algorithm. They are saying the lake is 62F, +/- 4 degrees, but that method of estimation is only accurate in 90 percent of the lakes they cover.

The overnight lows in Ellicott City are in the upper 50s/low 60s this week, and down to the upper 40s by the weekend. It sounds like 62F is a reasonable estimate. If so, that sounds fairly cold to me but I'm not certain. I've never swam in those temperatures. I've swam in the unheated outdoor pool with air temps in the low to mid 70s, with water temp somewhere close to the same, maybe a few degrees cooler (or warmer), without a wetsuit.

I know that I don't handle the cold as well as I can handle the heat. I don't think I would overheat in 62F water with the neoprene sleeves and swim cap. I'd like to test out that water temperature but I can't think of an easy way to do that this week. (This is assuming the 62F number is even close to the actual temperature.)

How much does the regular rubber swim cap help with retaining heat? I've watched several of the ITU races on Universal Sports this year. I noticed that during one of the spring races, some of the athletes wore neoprene swim caps under the official race swim caps. I don't remember what the water temperature was, although it was cool enough for the race to be wetsuit-legal for the pros.

POSTED: 9/28/10 12:45 PM

Well, I guess I'll have to go without the Speed Sleeves. I can't find my size online except for one or two places and they either don't have 2-day shipping or they charge too much, and I still wouldn't be guaranteed to receive them before Sat. I only found one local store that carries them (Bonzai Sports) but they don't have any in my size (small?) or even medium, which might work, might not.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 962
POSTED: 9/28/10 1:58 PM

umm... thanks for letting us know?

POSTED: 9/28/10 2:09 PM

Well, just in case anyone else happened to be looking for a pair.

emilyann's ravatar emilyann    JOINED: 5/24/10    POSTS: 16
POSTED: 9/28/10 4:10 PM

The athlete guide published today says water temps are anywhere from 70-76. Given that it's been so hot for so long, it may be closer to the high end of that range.

POSTED: 9/28/10 4:29 PM

It sounds like the 70-76 range is the typical range in October, not the specific temperature this week. The nighttime lows have definitely become fall-like over the past few weeks, even when it gets hot during the daytime.

I just sent them an email asking about recent water temperature measurements, just to get an idea of what we should expect. I like knowing what we'll face. If it's cool, then so be it. But at least I'd like to know beforehand.

I'd love it if the water was 70F.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria