Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
CREATED: 05/21/10 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 53
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
RE: Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course and hills
POSTED: 9/28/10 7:39 PM

I heard back from the RD. He said the water was around 80 just last week, but cooling off a bit this week. That was a surprise to me. I guess the fishing website isn't that reliable.

He's going to take another reading tomorrow personally and then send out an email to all registered participants. He seemed to think that it would be a close call as to whether the race would even be wetsuit-legal. With overnight lows in the 50s and upper 40s this weekend, I don't see how the water would stay above 77. But we'll know more tomorrow. At least it isn't 62. I guess I won't trust any fishing websites in the future.

I wouldn't mind swimming without a wetsuit if the water is actually that warm (even though I'm a slow swimmer). But it would be harsh coming out of that water with air temps in the low 50s.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 9/28/10 7:54 PM

Fish like to hang out near the bottom of bodies of water, thus they take the temp reading for fishing purposes deep down in lakes. Swim readings are taken in the top few feet of the water.

I learned this on Jimmy Houston Outdoors. A great American!

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 213
Half Full Triathlon - possible bike course
POSTED: 9/28/10 7:55 PM

Indeed... but Andy, what about jellyfish fishing? They hang out near the top... what say Jimmy Houston?

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 528
POSTED: 9/28/10 8:09 PM

The fishing website didn't actually take any measurements. This is their explanation of how they come up with their estimates:

"Fishingnotes.com has developed a highly accurate and sophisticated water temperature modeling algorithm to determine the mean daily water temperature based on climatic and geophysical data for this lake. Some of the variables used to determine the mean daily water temperature include past weather trends, solar radiation, evaporation, lake size, and lake geometry.

Currently the accuracy of the estimated mean water temperature is within 4 degrees Fahrenheit of measured temperature value in approximately 90% of our lakes. However Fishingnotes.com is continuously updating our water temperature algorithms to improve the accuracy. You can help make the estimated water temperature for this lake more accurate by providing the water temperature readings when you are out on the water. To do this add a fishing report below with the actual water temperature at this lake. This will provide helpful data to correlate the water temperature algorithms with."

They're basically just going by historical trends. Which means they're just making up numbers. But it was the only website I could find that had even an estimated temperature for the lake.

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
POSTED: 9/28/10 8:15 PM

Jimmy Houston LIED to me!!! What a jerk.

asovonick's ravatar asovonick    JOINED: 6/3/09    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 9/28/10 8:19 PM

Impossible. Fishermen live on the water. Surely they know more than someone sitting at a computer with sophisticated measuring instruments.

POSTED: 9/29/10 6:59 PM

Did anyone else get the chain condom in the mail? Yes, that's what it's called. It fits over the bike drivetrain to protect it from rain, presumably while the bike is sitting outside overnight between the bike check-in and the race. The letter said that I received it for participating in some event related to the Half Full Triathlon. I didn't attend any events connected with the race recently, but I'm not complaining if they want to send me a chain condom.

Oh, I guess, it's also useful for keep chain lubricant off the car seat while transporting the bike to races, or training rides.

OK, I'll stop now. All this talk of condoms and lubricants, um, er, ...

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 9/29/10 7:24 PM

If you ride a really large bike, will they magnum size it for you?

POSTED: 9/29/10 9:12 PM

Water temperature is 76 as of today (Wed.) according to the official Half Full Twitter update.

POSTED: 10/02/10 10:55 AM

Good luck to everyone at the race tomorrow!

POSTED: 10/06/10 1:25 PM

Made it through the race but it wasn't easy. I bonked on the run because I skipped a water stop and probably didn't eat enough on the bike. But after downing more GU Roctane and Cera Sport drink, I was able to run again. Well, somewhere in between a run and a shuffle. But at least that was faster than the 2 mph walking I did for about half a mile when I completely ran out of gas.

I'm glad I raced. Nice to see all of the cancer survivors too, getting out there on the course and taking on the challenge of those hills after winning their fight against cancer.

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 104
POSTED: 10/06/10 6:30 PM

Club member Lennie Phillips was 3rd Place Male in the Survivor category.

DC Tri Club strikes again.

-- TJ

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 10/06/10 6:46 PM

Great race and awesome community support. Good to see a strong DC Tri contingent at the race. I was very sore and fatigue on Monday. Can't figure out why! ;)

riggodrill's ravatar riggodrill    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 104
POSTED: 10/06/10 6:48 PM

umm... I hear snagging first place in your age group does that to you. Way to go Kevin!

-- TJ

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria