Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

wanted used Tri bike
CREATED: 12/23/09 by EricB REPLIES: 6
EricB's ravatar EricB    JOINED: 9/14/09    POSTS: 5
wanted used Tri bike
POSTED: 12/23/09 2:30 PM

I am looking for a used mid range tri bike (no more than $750). I am 5'11. The 2009 Nations was my first tri and I am currently training for the 2010 Escape from Alcatraz tri but am obviously lacking in bike training as I am currently without a ride. Any help?

Eric

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: wanted used Tri bike
POSTED: 12/23/09 2:57 PM

I've done Alcatraz 4x and all on my road bike. But, plenty of people use tri bikes. If you're a weaker rider, you might like the extra gearing of a compact found on many tri bikes. But, not a lot of opportunities to go aero on that course. The hills aren't bad, the steep portions are short and the rest you can spin up. But the course is technical (my road bike handles turns and descents better than TT bike) and the roads are not in the greatest shape anymore. Just depends on personal preference. Stick with the bike that you train and are comfortable with. Good luck with training!

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 12/23/09 3:09 PM

Eric,
Your price point for a "mid range tri bike" might be...um...wishful thinking. Used *entry level* tri bikes are tough to find for that (but they're out there if you search). Also, you should get an idea what frame(s) will work for you so that you don't buy an ill-fitting bike at a "good" price. Check out a local bike shop to see what might work for you, then troll some bike classifieds boards...

Meanwhile, you might consider just getting a used road bike instead - they're more commonly for sale (so you're more likely to meet your budget) and perfectly good for triathlon.

Good Luck -Jason

EricB's ravatar EricB    JOINED: 9/14/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 12/23/09 5:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. I am new to the club so I appreciate it. Yes, an 'entry level' tri bike is more accurate. Also a road bike will work. I am a runner who has put significant time into swim training. Unfortunately that puts biking as my weakest.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1318
POSTED: 12/23/09 5:33 PM

New road bikes less than $750 ... Merry Christmas :)

New Road bike

Tuan

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1064
POSTED: 12/23/09 9:51 PM

Eric --

I know someone who is selling a used Trek triathlon bike. I don't know any of the details but if you email me I'll put you in touch with him. It sounds like it's probably a decent bike that falls within your budget.

travis (dot) siehndel (at) gmail (dot) com

cosacalo's ravatar cosacalo    JOINED: 8/30/09    POSTS: 30
POSTED: 12/26/09 12:28 AM

Eric,

I have a '05 Trek Equinox 7 for sale.

http://www.dctriclub.com/forum/messages.cfm?tid=D52DAB4B-C931-77AD-401E7449939CB5F9&page=1

Let me know if you are interested and we can workout the price.

cosacalo @ gmail dot com

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria