Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Swim Cap keeps falling off
CREATED: 06/23/11 by rojojade REPLIES: 9
rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 363
Swim Cap keeps falling off
POSTED: 6/23/11 11:56 AM

So everytime I go for a race, my swim cap comes off. I don't know why. I've tried putting it on dry. I've tried wet. I've tried to squeeze the air bubbles out - but it always comes off. I do have long think hair - so maybe that's part of the problem. Anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it?

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1299
RE: Swim Cap keeps falling off
POSTED: 6/23/11 12:40 PM

Are you wearing your goggles outside or inside of your swim cap?

POSTED: 6/23/11 12:52 PM

Inside.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1299
POSTED: 6/23/11 1:21 PM

How about trying to wear it on the outside? I know that people are sometimes taught to wear their swim caps over their goggles to prevent dislodging. I've always worn the goggles outside of the swim cap and never had issues during races. There are pluses and minues to both methods.

This is a n=1 case, but I was kicked hard enough in the face during an IM last year that it cause the goggles to come off of its original position and a cut underneith my eye. That still wasn't hard enough to completely dislodge the goggles all together. It only took a few seconds for me to readjust. I've been kicked and slapped a few times in the face before also, but no problems with losing goggles or causing me to think twice about wearing it on the outside. I don't think that there are any swim races out there that are more violent than an IM mass swim start. If it passed the IM mass swim washing machine test, I think that it would suffice in other situations also. Again ... n=1 case study :)

The other option may be to wear two swim caps with the goggles in between ... but that may cause overheating in a warmer swim event. There may also be races where wearing two swim caps is prohibited.

Tuan

suzkinsky's ravatar suzkinsky    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 121
POSTED: 6/23/11 2:42 PM

Only during a race? Do you have this problem during regular pool training? If not - and if Tuan's goggle suggestion doesn't solve it - it might be that you're tying your hair back differently on race day - I know I tie my ponytail lower on race day so that I can get my bike helmet on. This usually causes goggle problems though, not cap problems.

It could also be the brand of the cap they're giving you at the race. They're not all cut equally, sadly.

jgselim's ravatar jgselim    JOINED: 1/11/11    POSTS: 39
POSTED: 6/23/11 3:22 PM

It wouldn't hurt to have a teammate or other athlete help you put it on or at least check it once you have it on. I swear those things are harder to put on than the freakin' wetsuits. If I don't put them on correctly they tend to make my head go numb, which under any other circumstances would be OK. :::'b::

Caryn    JOINED: 1/18/11    POSTS: 15
POSTED: 6/23/11 5:16 PM

I do this for other reasons, but I wear a lycra cap (which is what I wear during my regular swims) under the latex caps. I do it because the latex caps pull on my hair (which then pulls on my scalp), but maybe that could help your problem too. BTW, my hair is long as well.

nemelton    JOINED: 4/16/11    POSTS: 17
POSTED: 6/28/11 2:44 PM

I have this problem too. Half the time I can't even get the friggin thing on my head w/o it slipping right off immediately. And then it comes off in pools and during OWSs. I've tried my googles under and over my cap, and my cap still slips off the front of my head either way.

I finally realized that (for me) it was b/c I was using a silicone cap instead of a latex one. The silicone ones, again for me, are more slippery than the latex ones which hold onto your head for dear life. So I endure a little hair ripping and use the cheap latex ones so I don't have to stop every few hundred meters to readjust my cap. Good luck!

(I have long hair too if it helps)

mhuizenga's ravatar mhuizenga    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 6/28/11 5:04 PM

I have had long and short hair and hair in between. I don't think it's the hair. I think it's the way you are tying it back or how you are putting it on. I suggest tying your hair up higher and then flipping your head over so the hair is more in the front when you put on the cap and less in the back. Also, where your goggles outside your cap. I've swum almost 30 years now and always worn my goggles this way. Just make sure they are tight enough that they aren't going to slip off.

if you swim at Eastern Market in the AM - MWF- look for me (really bright suit with bright green cap in the fast lane) and I'll give you some tips. Once you have it down it will be a snap. The tips go for anyone that swims at EM Pool. Happy to help.

POSTED: 6/28/11 11:07 PM

Well apparently the issue was that I wasn't putting on my swim cap on correctly. And ya'll are right, it is worse then the wetsuit on making sure that it's on nice and tight. Thanks for the suggestions and the advice! :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria