Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Info needed on Ironman Germany - Frankfurt
CREATED: 02/11/10 by dsgrunning REPLIES: 34
dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1298
Info needed on Ironman Germany - Frankfurt
POSTED: 2/11/10 1:41 PM

I'm thinking of doing this race in 2011. Has anyone done this race or know anything about it ? Any info would be great.

Are there any folks out there who are also thinking about doing this ?

Thanks
Tuan

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: Info needed on Ironman Germany - Frankfurt
POSTED: 2/11/10 3:19 PM

Erinnern sie sich an mich? Noch w├╝tend?

Ah, German is so warm and fuzzy. Almost as romantic as Tuan's Vietnamese.

I've researched IM FFT and know people who have done it. They loved it. Frankfurt is a great race with phenomenal crowd support. The only real disadvantage to Frankfurt is that the run has 4 loops like IM France. I couldn't take that.

Frankfurt is similar to Roth, but in a large city setting with Mdot prices. Personally, I would rank Ironmans in Germany - #1) ROTH, 2) Frankfurt, and 3) Regensburg (new IM, but in beautiful Bavaria).

But, you like flat courses? IM Austria is flat compared to other EU courses. Challenge is hosting Iron distance in Barcelona and Copenhagen (flat), too.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
POSTED: 2/12/10 6:15 PM

Are we doing Germany, Canada, or another? Someone said Louisville. Since it's 2010, we should start settling on it.

POSTED: 2/12/10 7:58 PM

We need to do an international one. That should ruled out Canada and Louisville :) Germany, Switzerland , Spain, Austria, Denmark, France ... the world is our oyster. Lisa is doing Roth in 2011. I'd be in with that.

It's gotta be wetsuit legal though. Vietnamese Royalty isn't a fan of drowning.

POSTED: 2/12/10 11:27 PM

There's an Ironman in Denmark? I didn't know they had one in Egypt.

POSTED: 2/13/10 12:39 PM

It's not a M-dot branded race. It's part of the quelle Challenge.
Copenhagen Demark IM distance

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 2/13/10 2:39 PM

If you want to do a the BEST race outside of the US then Canada is the one to do if you "need" the Mdot logo. Everything else takes second place. Even some people that have done Kona have told me that they prefer the Canada race.

Mdot Austria probably has the nicest towns that you go through when compared to Quelle Roth race. Quelle Roth is the better of the two if you actually want to do "a race" for the sake of "racing".

Goodluck with whatever you decide.

POSTED: 2/14/10 9:53 PM

Thanks Justin,
Well the thoughts about IM Canada bring me back to thinking about that race. I am wondering what is the evidence that makes it the best race, as you indicate. Thanks.

POSTED: 2/14/10 9:59 PM

That Denmark one looks really good. Do they say "You are an Ironman" in the Quelle Challenge ones? Does that matter? How about to a first timer?

POSTED: 2/14/10 11:36 PM

Whatever that they say will be in Danish so I don't think that it really matters :) If it does to the first timers then we can pretend that they are saying "You are an Ironman" in Danish. The more important question is do you get a M-dot tattoo or a Q-dot tattoo ?

On a side note, they give group discounts. The 10% registration discount will more than make up for the trans Atlantic flight :)

"We are offering a 10% discount to everybody that signs up together in a group of 10 people or more. To claim this discount send an email to info@challengecopenhagen.com"
15th of May 2009 14th of July 2009 2.250 DKK (est. 300 EUR)

POSTED: 2/15/10 12:50 AM

I'm glad that people (and Tuan) are thinking about doing an Intl IM. The Challenge family is awesome! Their races have 3-person Relay teams, too (not sure if the discount applies to r.)

At Roth, they announced my name and city in the finish chute in English. They said 'do you think that Lisa Kilday is happy to finish the race?' because I was hopping up and down. Then, they went back to announcing in German.

Btw, there is a magical Q-dot tattoo!

POSTED: 2/15/10 6:21 AM

They don't speak English at these things?!
I'm thinking lots of Nordic people cheering you on. My experience with these countries tells me that this is a very good thing. Justin's comparisons may not have the criteria, "hot spectators and awesome nightlife".
Though the finish line - Lisa thanks for your experience - hm. Do 140.6 and don't get called an Ironman sounds kind of strange.
The problem with Denmark is now I'm thinking we should just do a relay then enjoy the country and social life. Now I just went from doing an Ironman to 1/3 of one...

POSTED: 2/15/10 12:29 PM

I think that we all should think out of the box and do Ironman Vietnam. The best kind of dot is a V-dot.

POSTED: 2/15/10 1:50 PM

simon,

good question, "what makes IM canada so good?"

its one of those things that is hard to describe but i have yet to hear 1 person that has done the race that didn't think it was one of the best courses overall, even when compared to a lot of the "classic" courses that everyone likes (placid, wisconsin, cda, austria).

now they might have changed the race a little so double check, but these are the highlights of what I think makes this race "one of the BEST".

1. outside of Hawaii, it was the only course that has 1 loop for everything, 1 loop swim, 1 loop bike, straight out and back for the run. In other words none of this 2/3/4 loop stuff that a lot of other races have.

2. outside of Hawaii, its basically one of the oldest races out there so it has a 25 year history in the same town, I dont' even think hawaii has that as the race has moved over the years.

translation = when they say the whole town is into it, literally everyone in the surriounding towns have either done/volunteered/worked at the race multiple times over the years, they are EXTREMELY proud of the race and turn out in force for it every single year. Think how the community in the early Lake placid years was into the IM race and then multiply it by 10 times. that is what canada is.

3. THE BIKE is what you come for. So if you really like the cycling leg, this IS the race to do (although Roth and Austria are faster courses overall, Roth has smoother roads, Austria better scenery, "overall" Canada has the best cycling course hands down, here is why). 1 loop course, 2 major climbs, some rollers, some faster sections (for 15-20 miles at a clip not for 1 or 2 miles) and if you bike the course a certain way, some people think its one of the best overall bike courses there is out there.

Is it super fast? hard climbing? boring? flat? The answer is no to all the questions, its in my opinion the "perfect" bike course for 112 miles because it literally has a little of everything in it. And it has some nice scenery along the way too.

4. This was the first race that had "the line up" the day after the race to sign up the next year. that whole thing about lining up literally right after a person finished the race (or within hours of finishing the race) and camping out on line to sign up the next day for the following year, that was started in Canada. Now many other races, ie Lake placid, you have to do that. Well canada, is the place where that tradition started. (i'm not sure if this was ever done in hawaii, but i know canada was the first to do this before all the NA races started doing it years ago.)

Logistically the race has some tough things you have to do regarding travel and such, so that is hassle, but its one of those races that you do because, well its that good.

Get some more feedback from others that have done the race, i'm confident they will say the same things that have on why they liked it.

POSTED: 2/15/10 2:01 PM

isn't "Quelle" in the Roth race, isn't that sponser basically like a 7-11 over there?

That would be funny if people were getting Q dot tattoos of stationary store. LOL.

POSTED: 2/17/10 7:31 AM

Thanks for the info. Makes the decision hard. I heard the views are incredible. I thought the Quelle just meant "what". Which brings thoughts full circle to Tuan's inquiry of IM Germany. It's an Ironman brand race in... Germany. Sounds super fun.

POSTED: 2/17/10 10:19 AM

Quelle is not a 7-11 or Nachbarschaftsladen. Quelle was a department store or catalog. They went bankrupt in 2009. But, Roth and others are keeping the Quelle name. Quelle = Quelle Challenge Roth = Roth formerly known as Ironman Europe.

IM Frankfurt - IM Germany - same thing

I think that all the places would be cool to race in. My friend who's raced in the US, France, and Roth got an Mdot tattoo. It's a great looking tattoo. Mdot man/person with 3 flags behind it: France, US, Germany. Except the tattoo guy in California f-ed up and gave the US flag 14 stripes!

POSTED: 2/17/10 11:49 AM

my mistake lisa, good to know quelle is not a 7-11...

that means that people are getting essentially a tattoo of a defunct department store and catalog.. guess that makes it even better. LOL

that is funny with the USA tattoo with 14 lines.. oops... guess you have to be careful with who you have do your tattoos...lol

POSTED: 3/10/10 10:20 PM

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
Tuan after further discussion at the place where all of this truly makes sense (happy hour), sounds like you are going for IM Germany. If you do so, should everything be fine healthwise, I'll do it with you. Thanks for the thoughts on IMCA. I think I'm a little "Canada'd Out" after the Olympics, and the land of Bavarian ale and bratwurst sounds good (after the race, that is). Plus it reminds me of the Army days and Normandy, D-Day, Band of Brothers, Hogan's Heroes, Operation Market Garden in Nijmegan (largest airborne operation in history and subject of the movie, A Bridge Too Far). There is no reason that IM Germany should remind me of these things, but it does. Airborne.
Simon

POSTED: 3/11/10 8:24 AM

Very cool Simon ... IM Germany it is. If this is not a valid enough reason to upgrade my bike to a P3, I don't know what is.

Perhaps the lovely Lisa Kilday will join us there instead of that other race in Germany. That is, if she wants to go to heaven when she dies ... but then again, who am I to judge whether she will go to heaven or burn terribly in hell.

Liane says that she would do it. Perhaps it's time to call her out on that.

Kate Kaufer comes onto this message board with a German flag avatar. You would figure that if one were to do that that one's first IM would be on German soil otherwise one might as well change one's avatar to a North Korean flag.

Tania Grollman and Amanda Chadwick drink like fish and want to do an overseas IM. Germany provides that perfect combo.

Trish B says that she will buy us beers. Germany has a beer garden. We will now see if she is a liberated woman of honor.

All of the people talking about doing an overseas IM in Canada must realized by now that there are no seas between the U.S and Canada. There are a few lakes and Sarah Pallin ... but no seas.

Tuan

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria