I like to just get in the aero position and ride for hours without interruption. This means driving to a location outside of DC and then riding. I'm wondering whether anyone has some new routes/areas to explore that support excellent aero riding.
For me, "excellent aero riding" means:
1. Smooth road
2. Little conflict with cars -- this could be either a road with few cars in the first place or a crowded road that has a good shoulder. I don't mind highways with good shoulders.
3. Uninterrupted riding -- don't like to stop so I don't like lots of intersections
4. Not overly hilly -- I dislike coming out of aero and I'm lazy :)
I've found some areas that meet these criteria:
1. Farmland on the other side of the Bay Bridge
2. Many roads in Charles and St Mary's County (and the IHRT)
3. Western Maryland Rail Trail (just did that today and it was pretty awesome).
But these routes are getting old and boring. Are there other areas that meet my criteria that I should be checking out? Relatively close to DC is a plus, although I don't mind driving for a hour or two for an all-day ride. Any suggestions appreciated.
Hey can you post the Garmin file of all this rides specially the one for Western Maryland Rail Trail
@Eric: There's not really a Garmin file needed for the Western Maryland Rail Trail. It is a "rails-to-trails" project and is essentially 45 mile out/back. There are only a few crossings, no chance of getting confused. It is totally flat, has excellent pavement about 15 feet wide, and nice vista views of the Potomac River and mountains. The altitude makes it about five to 10 degrees cooler than DC, plus the entire route is under tree canopy, meaning almost constant shade. Except for the fact that it is so far way, it is really great.
You should check the Annapolis Bicycle Club website for some. www.annapolisbicycleclub.org or .com (not sure). Look under 'Rides' and you'll find quite a bit. Also, maybe check www.bikewashington.org site for different rides.