Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Article: Exercise doesn't make you lose weight
CREATED: 11/04/09 by vatriathlete REPLIES: 5
vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
Article: Exercise doesn't make you lose weight
POSTED: 11/04/09 11:31 AM

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/

AndyJB444's ravatar AndyJB444    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 401
RE: Article: Exercise doesn't make you lose weight
POSTED: 11/04/09 12:14 PM

No surprise here that exercise ALONE shows minimal improvements in weight loss. Hopefully most of us already know that consistent exercise + healthy/moderated diet will produce better results.

Mmmmm, feel that "afterburn"! ;)

Andy

ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
POSTED: 11/04/09 12:37 PM

I have to continually remind my patients who run themselves into the ground to lose weight, it's really about what you're putting in your pie hole.

We can be just as bad as triathletes...a Sprint may burn up to 1,500 calories - if you're lucky...we put it all back on and more snarfing those 3 pieces of pizza post-race.

It's good though :)

jen_'s ravatar jen_    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 162
POSTED: 11/04/09 1:33 PM

So you put an obese person on a stationary bike for 30 minutes in the 'fat burning zone' without changing their diet and they wonder why they are still fat. It's because they're still eating 10,000 calories a day. A 200 calorie burn while spinning at a cadence of 50 (if they are lucky) isn't going to make a dent if they don't change what they eat.

There are 24 hours in a day and most people spend 1 hour (I'm being generous) exercising. It's those other 23 that will make or break what you did for your workout.

I liked this comment from the article..

"Exercising with a heart rate below 134 isn’t exercising, it’s called going about one’s day. I’d like to see a study involving exercise of an intensity that burns over 1000 calories/hour, you know, actual exercise."

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 686
POSTED: 11/04/09 3:07 PM

Someone come and get the Chocolate Chip Trader Joe cookes out of my desk drawer - quickly!

mcbkrun's ravatar mcbkrun    JOINED: 6/17/09    POSTS: 32
POSTED: 11/04/09 11:48 PM

Afterburn ?....Now that's a great book......

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria