DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Cookie Exchange at DC Tri Annual Party
CREATED: 10/19/12 by pgfde121 REPLIES: 21
pgfde121's ravatar pgfde121    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 229
Cookie Exchange at DC Tri Annual Party
POSTED: 10/19/12 10:32 AM

Hi All,

Nick Pleisch and I both have insatisable sweet tooths (teeth?). While comparing notes on local bakeries, we thought it might be a good idea to introduce a cookie exchage at the annual party as a side event. Yes, thats correct, two straight men are starting a cookie exchange.

The way I see it working, we would start a google document for sign up, and depending on how many people sign up, you would each bring a small sandwich bag with a few (3-5) cookies. Maybe copies of receipies so people could take those with them?

Then there would be this huge table of cookies, (pause right there to envision a huge table of chocolate-y and sugar-y goodness) and everyone would then take a bag. You could choose to gorge yourself right then and there, or wait and ration those out. Don't be too stingy though, with no preservatives you'll have to eat them while they are fresh.

We've never actually done this before so open to suggestions as long as it involves additional chocolate and sugary goodness. If this works out there, there exists for the possibility of like events at future gatherings. Think cupcake exchanges, choc mouse exchanges, brownie exchanges, etc etc.

The Cookie Monster

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
RE: Cookie Exchange at DC Tri Annual Party
POSTED: 10/19/12 10:49 AM

Ron, this is a fabulous idea. I assume our venue won't mind?
I'd be for bringing many small baggies of 2-3 cookies (w/ recipe and contact info).
Maybe we should open up to non-makers by allowing them to "purchase" a bag or 2 for a canned good donation? (I am not volunteering to handle this, but maybe someone would?)
-Jason

p.s. mouse and mousse are different animals. which were you thinking? ;-)

POSTED: 10/19/12 11:27 AM

I'd have to check, but can't see it being a problem. All we would require is a small table to the side. Figured I would gauge interest first.

I'd be open to the donation thing, but would be easier to just keep it simple...

We can do mousse, and then maybe have a jerky exchange and you could bring the moose and mouse :-)

rojojade's ravatar rojojade    JOINED: 1/19/11    POSTS: 360
POSTED: 10/19/12 11:58 AM

Ooooh ... cooookkkiiieeeessss!!!!! It's almost as good as pies and cakes. But it's a lot easier. Let me know where to sign up and I will make something with the shit ton of apples I have been getting with my CSA. Your other options would be either radish cookies or fennel cookies.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 498
POSTED: 10/19/12 1:26 PM

Ron - We're looking into it with the venue. Great idea! I'd love to get this buttoned up today or tomorrow since we are sending an email blast out this weekend to anyone in the club who hasn't yet signed up. Would be great to list this as a fun activity!

Right now we have a gentleman's agreement in place with the venue to bring 300 people in exchange for them waving the AV fees. We are spending a great deal on catered food for the event and I imagine we'll be drinking our faces off so hopefully this shouldn't be an issue.

The prez likes chocolate chips cookies ya'll! Just sayin! :-)

RT

POSTED: 10/19/12 1:45 PM

Looks like I was confused/misspoke with the Annual party and the Holiday party...the annual party is next weekend and I can't make that one, but if we get the ok to proceed you are all welcome to try the exchange there! Sorry for the confusion!

POSTED: 10/19/12 1:48 PM

Catherine -- ingredient challenge accepted: fennel pistachio cookies. With tea or coffee = pretty serious yum. -Jason

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
POSTED: 10/19/12 2:00 PM

Ryan promises to bring along Troll House cookies...

POSTED: 10/19/12 2:08 PM

Jason - I have 2 bulbs if you want them.

kristoferkitto's ravatar kristoferkitto    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 59
POSTED: 10/19/12 2:20 PM

Is anyone surprised that I'm down for this?

My only request is that we add a competitive element to it; after all, this is the only triathlon-related (?) event at which I stand a chance of placing.

I could see us doing this as a separate event, actually -- closer to the holidays, and during a time when we can devote our undivided attention to baked goods.

Parting words: I can do amazing things with Nutella.

Kris

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 945
POSTED: 10/19/12 2:28 PM

I volunteer to be a taster. :::^)::

POSTED: 10/19/12 3:37 PM

Oh - it's on like donky kong if it's a competition. I am going to have to find my mini pie tins though.

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 498
POSTED: 10/19/12 4:50 PM

Holla! I can eat cookies with the best of them. In fact, that is my best discipline. Cookie eating PR is about a dozen in 5 minutes.

Bring it!

Owe wait, this is a cookie baking contest...you can count on me to eat them all.

RT

POSTED: 10/19/12 5:28 PM

Hey guys
There's a reason I'm a Clydesdale and it isn't because I eat too many salads and tofu. You guys wouldn't stand a chance. Lucky for you I can't make this one.

A review of my finishes:
2004 complete bag of soft batch cookies in one sitting
2008 7 crispy creme donuts before I finished reading my morning emails. I had five emails that morning
Sept 2012 Nestlé fresh baked fresh from the oven choc chunk cookies. To be fair Courtney got one before she became afraid of getting bitten
Oct 2012 DC cookie event no show.

I'm pretty much on the Elite team with desserts.

POSTED: 10/19/12 8:52 PM

I retired from competitive eating in 2008 when I started NTP.
But either way, I'm bringing some cookies to Kona viewing. -J

POSTED: 10/19/12 9:27 PM

Michael jordan retires
Lance Armstrong retires
Cookie Monster still strong after 30 years.
Not even Mitt Romeny threatens the Cookie Monster
Nobody puts Cookie Monster in the corner.

He must dedicate all his off air time to cardio as he never seems to put on any weight. Would be curious to his cholesterol levels though.

I may have to make a batch to send with Courtney. Can't completely pass on the opportunity. Ricotta cookies for everyone.

npleisch    JOINED: 4/5/12    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 10/22/12 3:36 PM

Ron gives me a shout out and I'm just now getting to it. My bad. I'll make up for it at the cookie table. You wouldn't think so by looking at me, but I've put more than one self proclaimed cookie monster to shame. Last trip to Phillips I put down 4 plates of dinner AND THEN topped it off with 3 full-dinner-sized plates from the dessert buffet. There's a reason I looked more like a doughboy than a speed racer about 7 yrs ago. I think the 50 lbs I lost was all cookie weight. Don't be fooled, though. I didn't stop eating cookies, I just started doing triathlons... More training = more cookies, which is really the reason I'm doing Ironmans. And here you thought it was for the accomplishment of a 140.6.

Now that I've set the stage for an impressively gluttonous display, there is a fairly descent chance I wont be able to actually walk the walk (eat the eat?)... as Jodie's due date is this Friday. As in, the day before the party. If the kid has a sense of priorities, he'll show up several days early so we will no longer be in a delivery room by then or he'll hang out in there for a few extra days (in which case I might still only be able to make a cameo to down some cookies and slam a drink before returning to my about-to-pop wife).

Regardless, I'm calling all bakers to pay homage to the season... if there is a table of cookies on Halloween weekend without several variations of sweet pumpkin nectar-based delights, I will be thoroughly disappointed.

So... baby, cookies, alcohol... its shaping up to be an awesome weekend. As long as I don't have to choose btw cookies and baby... ;)

PamS's ravatar PamS    JOINED: 1/26/10    POSTS: 361
POSTED: 10/23/12 1:37 PM

Ron,

I was really confused when you mentioned the cookie exchange on Sun and I hadn't seen this post....It all makes sense now :)

Cookies. In.

Pam

POSTED: 10/25/12 11:15 PM

Bumping this...
Recipe, list of ingredients, or just bags?
Do we have any idea how many makers we're going to have? Mostly curious. -Jason

POSTED: 10/26/12 7:40 AM

I'm just going to bring mine on a plate for people to grab. If I remember, I will print out recipie cards. But since it's not a proper cookie exchange, just bring them for people to snarf them down.

I think I will be bringing some Chocolate-Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars. It's Martha's recipie that I have been dying to try out.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria