Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Can we convince Chrissie Wellington to visit DC?
CREATED: 04/18/12 by PotomacTriathlete2009 REPLIES: 12
PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
Can we convince Chrissie Wellington to visit DC?
POSTED: 4/18/12 12:17 PM

She is taking some time off from Ironman racing this year. Next month, she is going on a promotional tour to promote her memoir "A Life Without Limits", to be released on May 15. Her only stop in the Mid-Atlantic region is in Baltimore (actually Columbia MD). Since she will already be in the area, could someone from the club contact her representatives and see if she would be interested in a book signing or possibly a brief talk in D.C. or Northern Virginia?

She will be in Columbia MD on May 12, the first day of the book tour. The next day, she will visit Boston and then NYC. So if it's possible to convince her to make an appearance in D.C., it would probably have to be before May 12, not after.

DC Tri Club reps could point out the popularity of triathlon in the D.C. area and the presence of multiple large open water tris. (Yes, I'm still counting the Washington DC Triathlon, even though it has been cancelled for this year.) I would think that the book publisher would be happy to have an appearance in D.C. because it would generate a great deal of buzz among the local triathlon community as well as book sales.

Travelling from D.C. one day to Columbia MD the next day wouldn't be a major burden for Chrissie. Hopefully it would fit into her overall schedule. At least it would be nice for someone to contact the publisher and her representatives to see if something can be worked out. It would be great for D.C. to have Chrissie Wellington make a visit. I think it would be good for book sales too.

wombat's ravatar wombat    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 266
RE: Can we convince Chrissie Wellington to visit DC?
POSTED: 4/18/12 1:00 PM

Maybe the High Cloud/Peasantman team can ask Chrissie to donate a couple hours of her time for a private/small group (less than 10) person bike ride? I'd buy lots of raffle tickets in hopes of winning a ride/bike clinic with Chrissie!

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 4/18/12 3:01 PM

Better yet - have her come and do Peasantman or alternatively teach Tuan to swim once and for all - without a noodle.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 946
POSTED: 4/18/12 3:11 PM

Or you could just go out to Columbia, MD. It's not that far.

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
POSTED: 4/18/12 4:50 PM

We have reached out, but we understand that she is just here for a day or so.

In the meantime, as Bryan suggests, Columbia is very accessible. Combine the Chrissie event with a ride on the Columbia course. Our friends at TriColumbia are asking that anyone planning to attend RSVP as soon as possible...especially if you want the book.

Andrea

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1287
POSTED: 4/18/12 6:47 PM

1. Maureen .... as great as Chrissie is, she's not a miracle worker

2. If PeasantMan can get Chrissie to ride with a group of 10 in the name of a charity raffle, I have the feeling that the 10 slots will be magically won by the 10 members of the PeasantMan War Council

3. I would be a total smuck if I didn't shamelessly name drop PeasantMan ... so, have you guys heard of this event call PeasantMan? You know, the event that has more DCTri members participating than any other single DCTri event? I hear that there are only a few community fund slots left. Lots and lots of sexy DCTri eye candy triathlete men and women will be pouncing around there in their spandex and licking $2,000 worth of Georgetown Cupcakes at the finish line.

Check it out at PeasantMan Registration Link

Tuan

PotomacTriathlete2009's ravatar PotomacTriathlete2009    JOINED: 9/19/09    POSTS: 514
POSTED: 5/02/12 9:28 PM

Ask and you shall receive!

POSTED: 5/02/12 9:30 PM

I also understand that she actually does have the ability to turn vertical swimmers into AG swim champions. I heard this from the friend of the 3rd cousin of Chrissie's editor's assistant's sister's best friend.

POSTED: 5/03/12 7:59 AM

AMAZINGLY GENEROUS OF CHRISSIE TO COME TO NOVA AND GIVE HER TIME LIKE THIS.

POSTED: 5/09/12 12:57 PM

Book is out of stock until Tuesday 5-15 at all local Barnes & Nobles (only bookstore left in existence), imagine they'll be selling them at the book signing? Anyone know?

afava's ravatar afava    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 257
RE: Can we convince Chrissie to visit DC?
POSTED: 5/09/12 2:17 PM

The "official" release date is May 15. Books will be available for purchase at the Sunday event at Freshbikes (Arlington shop at 2 pm), and Chrissie will be signing them. Come ready to ask questions and bring your smiles for pictures!

We are happy that they added the stop in DC after we approached Chrissie's reps about our amazing triathlon community! Information has been slow in coming - we'll keep you posted with any additional information.

Andrea

chad0022's ravatar chad0022    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 327
POSTED: 5/09/12 2:47 PM

I ordered mine off of Amazon on Monday and it came yesterday. (thank you prime!).

Thanks Andrea and everyone else for making this happen!
Woot!!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1714
POSTED: 5/13/12 2:25 PM

Especially liked Brady Nelson's picture with Chrissie, among others:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=850371766183&set=a.547928115683.2112431.18204019&type=1&theater

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria