DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Good deal? Wheels and Powertap
CREATED: 09/15/09 by nomisdc REPLIES: 6
nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
Good deal? Wheels and Powertap
POSTED: 9/15/09 10:40 PM

Hello,
I'm hoping for some advice from those experienced with powermeters. Does this seem like a good deal to you guys?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230376545208&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:1123
Thanks!

jgeldner    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 33
RE: Good deal? Wheels and Powertap
POSTED: 9/16/09 11:53 AM

Seems like a good deal to me - getting a pt for the price of the wheelset...assuming its not a scam.

Important to remember to pay for stuff like this with a credit card, not a bank transfer through paypal. That way, in case anything goes wrong, your CC company will cover you (Paypal rarely does).

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 420
POSTED: 9/16/09 1:18 PM

Personally I'd rather go with a new set of wheels without the PowerTap (then used with), but that's just me.

TriSports has a great deal on the Zipp SpeedShop 808/1080 Wheelset that you may be able to get your local shop to match. I also read an article recently praising the SRAM S80's recently (made by Zipp but much cheaper and only a little heavier).
http://www.trisports.com/zipp-speedshop-808-and-1080-wheelset-with-dt-swiss-240-hubs.html?productid=zipp-speedshop-808-and-1080-wheelset-with-dt-swiss-240-hubs&channelid=FROOG

Good Luck!

POSTED: 9/16/09 11:26 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Based on advice that those would be the wheels you would ride all the time in training and also the concerns about scams / damage, I'm passing. 1080's are my dream wheel - they make me weep.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/17/09 9:12 AM

if i remember correctly, you already have a great set of 404s on your road bike, if you are considering going expensive route and spend upwards of 2k or more on wheels, and you want the power,just go all out and be done with it with no regrets. (i am assuming that 2k dollar is a large amount of money but for everyone this is a relative number, this is based on the assumption that its a good chunk of change)

get the dura ace or fsa srm powermeter new from the company. yes you are spending close to the cost of 2/3 of your complete bike 3800$ (full msrp unless you have a hookup at a local shop) but you basically then have no excuses.

1. the new srm you can get in a wireless or a solar powered version (two very cool features and very high tech).
2. you can use any wheels with the bike for a race and you will still have power readings (not possible with powertap wheels unless you get antoher powertap wheel)
3. you have the best powermeter there is on the market with a very minimal weight penalty.
4. supposidly the srm records basically everything and is compatible with the new garmin computers so if you already have that you are set, the thing basically does everything except cook food for you, but i'm sure that is a feature they are adding in a year or so, so you might want to hold out.
4. you will have no more excuses on the bike, you will be riding "exactly" what the pros are riding, not "similar" but exactly the same thing as a current tdf rider.

My vote is wait a bit, save up and go all in and let it ride.

P.S. I considered doing this exact thing but after consideration i realized i would never look at and analyze the power numbers to justify the cost.

POSTED: 9/17/09 4:11 PM

hey thanks - that's some pretty good advice. didn't know they came in that kind of powermeter. worth saving for and not worrying about the wheels.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/17/09 4:36 PM

the srm stuff is expensive (much like a set of 1080 or 808 wheelset), but after you get this, there is literally no "upgrade" of a product to go to next.

I think that conte's has a couple of display bikes with srm powermeters (cranksets) on a few bikes they will probably be able to tell you more.

also that store cyclelife (something like that, i saw that team out at the nations tri) they seem to have a deal or soemthing because all of their "team members" have the srm on their race bikes. guess membership has its privileges.

http://www.srm.de/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=148

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria