Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Garmin courses/cue sheets
CREATED: 06/17/14 by astolz1 REPLIES: 3
astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 556
Garmin courses/cue sheets
POSTED: 6/17/14 9:59 PM

I loved being able to load courses which gave me turn by turn directions with street names and advance notice of an upcoming turn on my Garmin 310XT a few years ago.
I now have the 910XT.
From what I've been able to find, Garmin's "updates" may have taken away this oh so useful functionality; true?
So...
Has anyone been able to load a course that gives turn-by-turns thru the cue sheet?
This somewhat recent thread is related: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/910xt---adding-turn-points-on-routes/274595.html
Thanks
- Adam
Oh, I just found this http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-500-turn-turn-directions-courses/ which looks handy.
Anyway, if someone has this all set, would love to know how to do it.

jxjia's ravatar jxjia    JOINED: 8/13/12    POSTS: 112
RE: Garmin courses/cue sheets
POSTED: 6/18/14 8:23 AM

I'm not sure if it's possible to have turn-by-turn directions on the 910XT. You need to have map data loaded into the unit and I don't think 910XT has that functionality.

The Garmin Edge line is more designed with GPS guidance in mind. I have an Edge 800 and have map data loaded into a Micro-SD. The you just need to port a TCX file into the unit to have turn-by-turn directions.

DC Rainmaker has a very thorough article on how to do this:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 983
POSTED: 6/18/14 8:46 AM

The Garmin 910XT does have this functionality. It can work really well. Sites like bikeroutetoaster and gpsies are able to create the map and tcx files that need to be uploaded to give turn by turn directions. The problem is that there is a max size limit for uploading files as well as a max limit to the course points.

The upload size limit pertains to the total size of all upload files. So while you might be uploading a small file, if you have 10 other courses in the watch, then that new small file might surpass the file limit and not be uploaded. But this just means you have to clear off the old courses. Easy fix.

The issue that I run into almost ALL of the time is surpassing the course points limit. I think the limit is 100 course points. If you design a bike course that is 50-60 miles long and has like 20 turns on it, then you'd surmise that there would be 20 course points. Maybe 22 if you add start and finish points. However, bikeroutetoaster and gpsies seem to add tens of course points between each turn, so the course point total skyrockets and surpasses the max and therefore cannot be uploaded to the Garmin.

I'm still trying to find a way to minimize these additional course points. I was able to design a 10 mile run course that uploaded perfectly and told me exactly where to turn. But when I tried for a 60 mile bike course, the course would not upload to the Garmin.

jmunchak's ravatar jmunchak    JOINED: 3/24/12    POSTS: 21
POSTED: 6/18/14 10:35 AM

The turn by turn advance notice is great, but just having the "bread crumb" trail to follow is something that I have gotten used to over time. I usually use gpsies and was unaware that course points were an option, I'll have to check that out.

On a related note, does anyone else who has the 910XT noticed that it seems to lose GPS signal more frequently than the 310XT did? It seems to happen at least once on each of my long rides, and takes several minutes to come back (and will be flaky for a while longer...frequently telling me I am off course when I am not). Just wondering if this is common, or if I have a defective unit.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria