Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Cars don't kill cyclists. Guns kill cyclists.
CREATED: 07/28/09 by xena REPLIES: 7
xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
Cars don't kill cyclists. Guns kill cyclists.
POSTED: 7/28/09 10:36 AM

A cyclist shot by a firefighter who was trying to tell him that cycling on the road with his 3 year old was too dangerous.

The ironing is delicious.

Firefighter charged with shooting at bicyclist
Josh Boatwright • July 27, 2009 12:33 PM

ASHEVILLE — An Asheville firefighter charged with attempted first-degree murder after witnesses said he shot at a bicyclist, made his first appearance today in Buncombe County District Court.

Charles Alexander Diez, 42, apparently fired at the Asheville man after arguing with him about riding his bike on the busy road with his 3-year-old child in a bike seat behind him, Asheville Police Capt. Tim Splain said.

Diez's case is set to be heard on Aug. 17 in Buncombe County Superior Court.

Diez was driving his car off Interstate 40 at Exit 55 at about 11:24 a.m. Sunday when he saw Alan Ray Simons and his wife riding bikes up the road with Simons' 3-year-old son behind him in a bike seat, he said.

“He decided he needed to tell them he thought it was unsafe that they would do that and have their child out there in an area where they had a lot of traffic,” Splain said.

Diez stopped his car and confronted Simons near 1360 Tunnel Road. When Simons began to walk away, Diez shot at him, Splain said.

The bullet blew a hole through the outer lining of Simons' helmet and went straight through both sides of it, but he was not hit.

Simons and others who witnessed the incident took down Diez's registration plate number and called police.

After consulting with the Buncombe County District Attorney's Office, police charged Diez with one count of attempted first-degree murder.

“A matter of an inch or less in either direction would have meant that bullet could have easily killed Mr. Simons,” Splain said.

Buncombe County Sheriff's deputies found Diez's vehicle at his home on Rowland Road in Swannanoa and arrested him. Diez was not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol at the time of the shooting and has no prior criminal record, Splain said.

He has been employed by the Asheville Fire Department since February 1992, according to interim Chief Scott Burnette. Diez has been placed on paid leave during the investigation, Burnette said.

Diez was being held today at the Buncombe County Detention Center with a secured bond set at $500,000

http://www.citizen-times.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200907270015/NEWS01/907270323

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: Cars don't kill cyclists. Guns kill cyclists.
POSTED: 7/28/09 11:14 AM

OMG Firefighters in Ass-ville SUCK! It's North Carolina, too bad this guy Diez has to kill somebody to get the chair. NC likes to fry people. I hope the state adds some charges for attempted assault on the 3 y.o. and wife.

bcfrank's ravatar bcfrank    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 897
POSTED: 7/28/09 11:23 AM

Some of the comments are hilarious. People actually standing up for the firefighter and justifying his actions? And so many people misread the article and assume the cyclist was on the interstate, when all this occurred on a side road.

I also liked the one commentator who kept writing "bycycle". :)

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:02 PM

those of us in VA are easy to say and get these 4 words.

CARRY AND CONCEAL PERMIT.

Costs something like 80 dollars and you can do it.

that is great i need to get a sidearm holster next tot he downtube so that you can have easy access to drive off would be punk motorists.

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:10 PM

I can never, ever own a handgun. Way too tempting.

I did wonder about the ballistics of the through and through on the helmet. I don't think they say what kind of gun it was.

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:14 PM

Quite good PR for the helmet manufacturer. I wonder if it's the same helmet company that produced the bycycle helmet that survived a crash with a 18-wheeler. I believe that guy bought his helmet at Wal-Mart.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:21 PM

Surely, there's a Vigilante of the Year award for this guy. Unbelievable.

I'm also pretty anti-handgun on this one. Screws up the aerodynamics and weighs too much.

-jk

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/28/09 4:15 PM

what do you mean vigilante of the year award? more like a$$hole of the year award.

i hope they lock this guy up for the rest of his life, he is a dirbag that deserves to die in prison and never see any of his family or friends outside of prison walls, the only honorable thing (if he even has honor left anymore, which obviously he doesn't) he could do is kill himself now that way taxpayers dont' have to support his sleezeball a$$ for 20 years.

you just mount the holster right on the area of the cervelo p4 where the water bottle is supposed to go, it coincidently is the same shape as a handgun holster, conincidence? i think not.

Whatever! :) lol lol.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria