DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

bike geometry
CREATED: 07/28/09 by charlie REPLIES: 4
charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
bike geometry
POSTED: 7/28/09 11:41 AM

I am hoping to get some advice here.

I was thinking of selling my TT bike to replace with a better road bike for the sake of saving some space - and - to have something that I can use for more than one sport, not just triathlon racing.

i am unsure of the drag benefits from using TT geometry as opposed to having a road bike with aero clip-ons and if anyone can shed some light on this subject, i'd appreciate it.

also, perhaps there are TT bikes out there with geometry closer to that of a road bike, or vice versa?

hope this makes sense.
charlie

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
RE: bike geometry
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:05 PM

a TT bike is made for better aerodynamics than a road bike position, simple as that.

the aero of the frame is negligible for most of us it comes down to rider position, and comparing them is liek comparing a porsche gt2 to a bmw m6.. both are fast but one is more purposebuilt for racing and is better for that.

if you want a road bike that is more versitale there are a few bieks with flippable seatposts, but the leader on this is cervlo with the soloist.

karlaj's ravatar karlaj    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 201
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:11 PM

Charlie,
As I understand it, a road bike + aerobars (and forward seatpost and shorter stem) can get pretty darn close to TT geometry, but you have to make sure the new position works for you on that frame. As for a difference, I don't know that you'd be sacrificing that much unless you're near placing in the AG, and then still only seconds to maybe a min per 40k vs. a true TT machine (again, assuming you're optimally fitted).

As for what's out there...there are plenty of options. Just one example, check out the Cervelo S series--kind of an aero frame in road geometry. Loads of companies now use aero tubing for road geometry, just a question of how much you want to spend.
-jk

charlie's ravatar charlie    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 61
POSTED: 7/28/09 12:36 PM

thanks guys,
i currently ride an older cervelo p2 frame and your replies are exactly what i am looking for; but now this brings me to another question. what brings more advantage in climbing on a bike - handlebars or geometry?

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 7/28/09 4:08 PM

geometry.

that is the difference btwn a road and tri bike.

road bikes are made for going in packs and riding over mountains in the tour.

tri bikes are for moderaly flat courses and optimally flat courses for going fast in a straight line.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria