Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Upgrade or Replace?
CREATED: 07/11/10 by Sam REPLIES: 4
Sam's ravatar Sam    JOINED: 3/29/10    POSTS: 10
Upgrade or Replace?
POSTED: 7/11/10 1:17 PM

I have a Fuji newest 3.0 that I got a while back as an entry level bike to make sure that riding was something that I was going to like to do. I've been saving up some money, so my dilemma is do I upgrade my Fuji or sell it and get a nicer bike? Or, just save my money, get a bike fitting with my Fuji, and just keep riding it until something breaks? Any insight would be great. Thanks - Sam

carrieacampbell    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 128
RE: Upgrade or Replace?
POSTED: 7/11/10 1:48 PM

Wow. This question is going to bring in a load of replies. I say sell it & get a nicer bike. The entry-level bikes are generally not worth the money you spend in upgrades. Get something that is lighter & comes with better components.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 7/11/10 4:07 PM

I'd keep the bike and just save your pennies until you can buy a decent tri bike.

As an 8-speed bike, you have a lot of parts that are incompatible with higher end stuff, so it would be tough to just upgrade one thing at a time (9 or 10 speed shifters/derailleurs/cassettes/etc). And a proper bike professional bike fit at Contes or CycleLife starts at $250-275, which isn't worth it unless you are set on being on that bike for a long time.

-Brian

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1301
POSTED: 7/11/10 10:59 PM

If you are waiting for your bike to break before you purchase a new one, you may be waiting for a long time. These bikes, even at the lower price range, aren't built to break after a couple of years.

A new toy will make you want to ride more. The more that you ride it, the faster you will get. It's a win win situation. I'd say that if you have already saved for the new bike, wait until the end of the year when this year's model go on the discount and get it. Sell your Fuji to the NTP class of 2011 next year. That will yield enough money for a good professional bike fit and perhaps some good high end bike shorts that will make the ride even more comfortable.

Tuan

kkaufer's ravatar kkaufer    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 126
POSTED: 7/12/10 9:19 AM

Ditto what Tuan says.
If you like biking enough to consider an upgrade/new buy, go for the new buy. The upgrade will just leave you wanting for more, so you'll keep on putting $$$ on your old frame and at some point in the next few years grow frustrated enough to buy new anyway.
I was in a similar situation this year and thought I'd just upgrade my old road bike and save my $$$ for a tri bike. But I realized that with the amount of $$$ that the upgrade would have cost, I only needed to add a few more $$$ to buy a new bike. Thankfully, I decided to by new(traded in my old one too!) -- I'm now the happiest little cyclist out there :)

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria