Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ironman Dream Ended This Year for Fellow DC Tri Memeber
CREATED: 09/16/09 by trithis73 REPLIES: 14
trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
Ironman Dream Ended This Year for Fellow DC Tri Memeber
POSTED: 9/16/09 8:07 AM

Hey everyone, just got this email from Tuan. If any of you don't know him, you have read his great emails, race reports, and training reports. He has graciously started a Sunday trend of riders, who ride the Vietnamese Royalty ride. This sucks to have your season crushed by an injury, not to mention, riding with him, you know he was more than ready to tackle this challenge. If anyone knows how he is doing, please keep us updated. God Bless and I hope for a speedy recovery for an all around good guy and I know future Ironman finisher.

FROM TUAN:

Earlier today, while riding my bike, I had a fall. Because of the location, I couldn't see the injury but I could feel it with my hand. Having been a volunteer EMT for 7 years, I didn't need an x-ray to tell me the seriousness of my injuries. While being transported by ambulance to the ER, I cried like I've never cried before. It wasn't the pain that caused me to cry. It was the realization that my Ironman journey has ended in the worst of ways. I have 3 fractures in my left clavicle. I have no idea what to do now. All that I've known for the past year were swimming, biking, and running.

I supposed I can shed more tears but then what ? What happens to a dream shattered ?

Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow. Thanks for all of the kind words that I've received so far.

Tuan

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 456
RE: Ironman Dream Ended This Year for Fellow DC Tri Memeber
POSTED: 9/16/09 8:39 AM

Total bummer!!! Best wishes on a fast recovery Tuan!

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
POSTED: 9/16/09 8:44 AM

May one dream (and clavicle) shattered lead to a new dream achieved next year!

Tuan, you've inspired many of us. We are looking forward to your tales of recovery.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/16/09 9:34 AM

best wishes on a speedy recovery.

good to hear that the crash did not result in injuries that were even more serious.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/16/09 9:49 AM

Tuan -

Tough break. You have entertained me on countless occassions on the DC Tri site. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery. As another Tri member stated - I am glad you are safe and your prospects for full recovery and getting back on that bike are damn good! I know your drive and ambition will get the best of you and you'll have your goal in sight once more. Maybe you'll even improve upon your vertical swimming technique that has been a source of envy for many DC Tri members.

JoeC's ravatar JoeC    JOINED: 7/10/05    POSTS: 213
POSTED: 9/16/09 11:47 AM

Thats awful. Sorry to hear about the injury. Although knowing what you have sacrificed will make it that much better when you acheive your goal of becoming an Ironman next year. Best of luck on a speedy recovery Tuan.

dctexan's ravatar dctexan    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 9/16/09 2:38 PM

Hang tough, Tuan!

lcbrown's ravatar lcbrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 9/16/09 2:40 PM

Tuan- so sorry to hear you got injured. I hope you can heal quickly- and it will just be that much more sweet when you cross the finish line next year and become an Ironman.

amacos's ravatar amacos    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 157
POSTED: 9/16/09 4:52 PM

Hi Tuan, Matt and I are sending you the best of wishes for a speedy and a smooth recovery. When we face difficulty, we become stronger . Please let us know if you need anything! Take care and get well soon. Adriana & Matt

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 9/16/09 9:13 PM

Thanks Mark and everyone. Below is an email that I just sent out to the folks on the Sunday bike ride group.

Tuan

==============================
Hi All,

Over the past several days I have received emails from over 125 people in my running club and DCtri club. I was really touched by some of the things that were said in all of those emails. It looks like I'm not alone in getting a devastating injury before an Ironman. I'm truly blessed for being part of such supportive communities. I wished that I could reply to each and every one of you individually to fully express my gratitude for your kind words. However, with three testicles and a broken clavicle, it is difficult for me to do that. The out pouring of support humbles me. I want you all to know how much I really appreciated that.

I think that I have a good ortho doctor. He was a 4 year college competitive college swimmer as well as a marathoner and triathlete. Hopefully the new clavicle will float better than the last one. I've always suspected that that clavicle was my swim limiter so it's time for an upgrade. I'm going to ask for a carbon frame :)

I'm also using alternative medicine to help with recovery. My mother has been getting holy water from a local Catholic church and sprinkling it on me even though we are Buddhists. My dad has been making me smoothies with traditional Vietnamese ingredients. The last time that he did this the neighbors complained that some of their exotic animal collections went missing and that my dad was last seen looking through their windows. I'm waiting for my uncle to call me to tell me that I need to drink urine from a virgin water buffalo. Where the hell can one find a virgin water buffalo in Silver Spring ? God blessed third-world family members.

I now would like to get on my soap box and comment on the sad state of our healthcare system. While I was in the ER, NOT ONE nurse offered to give me a sponge bath. Not only has Hollywood let me down but so has our healthcare system. Instead of offering me stake and lobsters, they offered me a pap smear. Do I look like I need a pap smear ? I'm no doctor but if I'm hurting up there, you shouldn't be touching anything down there.

There is this young lady in my marathon running club whom I've known for 3 years and who've started chemo and radiation therapy recently yet she still shows up every week to either walk a few miles or volunteer for water station supports. If she can do that then so can I. I will now join her in the walk and I will tell her how much my injury is worse than her cancer.

I'm leaving all options on the table. These include IMFL 2009, IMFL 2010, community slot IMLP 2010, or an overseas IM in early spring 2010. If I don't get back on the horse it will either eat me alive or I'll have to deal with more traditional Vietnamese medicine. Don't worry, I will not be rushing anything. I have great respect for the distance..

No more tears. The road to recovery has begun. The next time that I shed tears will be at mile marker 140.6 or when Anna Kornakova asks me to take her back. By the way, does anyone have her new number ? She seemed to have changed it since our trial separation..

Again, thank you.

Tuan

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 9/16/09 9:39 PM

VIETNAMESE ROYALTY LIVES ON!!!!!!!! Us mere peasants should learn from such determination, such drive, such interesting ways to torment our neighbors exotic animals.

Tuan.. great to hear you are doing good. Sorry about not getting the sponge bath, and I hope you are able to walk straight after the PAP Smear. It would be awesome if you get to come and do IMFL. I mean seriously, now you can blame your horrid swimming form on your injury and people will actually believe that was the problem. Good luck and speedy recovery.

nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 615
RE: Ironman Dream
POSTED: 9/16/09 11:06 PM

The only problem with receiving 125 sympathy emails is having to tell your Dad (deleted the rest - too controversial)
No more pap smears - you're a guy for criminies sake.
Man up and stop pestering cancer patients.
Heal fast, make sure your clavicle is good (key - don't reinjure yourself), regain your mental focus, and get back in the fight.

Best of luck in a speedy recovery Tuan! :)

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 9/17/09 10:08 AM

Tuan -

Being raised Catholic, I never thought I would be grateful for Holy Water. The alternatives you mention are truly frightening. I am hosting a slumber party for 10 8yos this Saturday - so we all have our own private hell.

Maureen

DoggyBrown's ravatar DoggyBrown    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 137
POSTED: 9/17/09 10:18 AM

Tuan:

I BROKE MY CLAVICLE TOO, and I am a pretty good swimmer. I think you're definitely on to something. Lemme know how the carbon upgrade goes. Maybe I'll get mine redone. Meantime rest up and remember that George Hincapie rode the final six (or so) stages of this year's TdF with a broken one. Wait, that doesn't help. Ok, just rest up.

vatriathlete    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 682
POSTED: 9/17/09 10:58 AM

will the DR's in the house please speak up!!!

Will Tuan be getting a stainless steel or a titanium or a cobalt chrome appliance and screws?

what is the standard proceedure?

dr's put up some educational materials for us to read on the normal things that are done for broken collar bones.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria