Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Pierce Mill/Rock Creek Park Run -- Roads Clear?
CREATED: 02/12/10 by marybruin REPLIES: 7
marybruin's ravatar marybruin    JOINED: 8/4/09    POSTS: 5
Pierce Mill/Rock Creek Park Run -- Roads Clear?
POSTED: 2/12/10 11:23 AM

Has anyone been over to Pierce Mill/RCP to see if Beach Drive is clear and whether the parking lot at Pierce Mill is plowed? I'd like to run the Pierce Mill to East West Highway run tomorrow tomorrow morning if there is no snow/minimal ice on the road. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Mary

Lunchbox's ravatar Lunchbox    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
RE: Pierce Mill/Rock Creek Park Run roads
POSTED: 2/12/10 1:22 PM

bump

I've got no info, sorry Mary, but I second your question.

I too am wondering what are the roads and paved trails in RC Park (DC, MD) like?

Found no help on my first visit to dcroadrunners and mcrrc sites.

Some of you have been out, eh?
Where?

Putting your head on a swivel and joining cars on the down-to-the-pavement clean neighborhood streets?
Running on snow (packed?) on side streets?
Bonding with your treadmill? If you own one, you could probably turn that sucker into a moneymill renting time to jonesing runners.

Cullen

lisalisadc's ravatar lisalisadc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 423
RE: Pierce Mill/Rock Creek Park Run -- Roads Clear?
POSTED: 2/12/10 1:42 PM

Pacers is doing their Saturday run @ RCP at 8:00 am. They went out there last night and said Beach Drive is clear. There is little to no parking though.

JHJ20012's ravatar JHJ20012    JOINED: 2/1/10    POSTS: 179
POSTED: 2/12/10 3:55 PM

Beach Drive is clear from the intersection of Beach Dr. and Chestnut street, all the way down to the Broadbranch intersection. I just drove the whole way down this AM. Should be very good for running/biking once the road is closed to traffic tomorrow at 7 am. I'm also assuming that north of Beach/Chestnut intersection is clear as well since I saw cars coming from that direction. All together, it's about 5.5 miles of open road and minimal traffic.

Lunchbox's ravatar Lunchbox    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 2/13/10 11:32 AM

Sounds like Beach is the way to go, at least while closed to traffic on weekends.

Sidenote- found this re Capital Crescent Trail, condition reports from trail users.
www dot cctrail dot org/CCT_Conditions dot htm

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 462
POSTED: 2/13/10 1:35 PM

It was very busy with runners this morning. Beach Drive is clear from Jones Bridge Rd down to Pierce Mill. The parking lots near Pierce Mill were fairly clear too.

marybruin's ravatar marybruin    JOINED: 8/4/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 2/13/10 5:52 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses! We went down at 9 a.m. this morning, parked in the lot at Pierce Mill and ran Beach Drive up to Pinehurst Parkway. The roads were clear, there were a ton of people out and it was a beautiful morning! Mary

merlinkim's ravatar merlinkim    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 296
POSTED: 2/14/10 5:33 PM

FYI, as of Sunday afternoon, the bike path from Calvert St. by the Omni Shoreham Hotel to Pierce Mill isn't clear, and there's no shoulder on RCP to run on. The road down the hill from Calvert to the trail is plowed to the curb, but the path isn't, so it's almost easier to just go straight down the hill instead of trying to follow the road. There's a well-trodden path through the snow about where the paved path is, but between Calvert and Porter it's pretty lumpy and slushy, and if you step off of it, you're past ankle deep in soft snow.

Between Porter and Pierce Mill the footing is more solid, but still only wide enough for one person to have a sure footing at a time. Once you're on the road, though, it's fine, though potholes are starting to develop.

Tilden from Connecticut to Pierce Mill has some blocks where the sidewalk is fine, and others where there's still a lot of snow.

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria