DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Club Brick-Nic 14 Aug
CREATED: 07/11/10 by nomisdc REPLIES: 32
nomisdc's ravatar nomisdc    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 611
Club Brick-Nic 14 Aug
POSTED: 7/11/10 5:20 PM

Team,
The second club Brick-Nic, the Nations Brick-Nic, will be on 14 Aug in Rock Creek Park. Will be updating this post and buzz etc. as we develop it.
Edit: Rock Creek Picnic Area 10
http://www.nps.gov/rocr/planyourvisit/upload/ROCRmap1.pdf
Plan will be similar. As most of you know, Beach Drive is closed to traffic on the weekends, which makes this a perfect place to have a brick-nic.
Evite is here. Please RSVP so we can get approximate head count.
http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=IYOIXVIYMXBTFWNHXTAP

If you can volunteer to help coordinate, please email events at dctriclub.org. As you know, this club runs on volunteers. Thanks.

RE: Club Brick-Nic 14 Aug
POSTED: 7/12/10 11:12 AM

Thanks so far!
Right now we need help with a lot of coordination. Most of our amazing volunteer team will be out that particular weekend. So we'd need help with:
1. Planning for and shopping for the food. I think we (the event folks) can help with that.
2. Planning to bring the coolers, ice, food, drinks, etc.
3. Possibly help getting the club grills there.
4. The usual brick-nic help - setup, cooks, gear watchers, take down.

Some info that would be helpful right now and you can just reply to this post:
- As some of you know Beach Drive is a good place to bike and run. For this Brick-nic, not sure we'll have a particular bike and run course like we did for Columbia. Do you have particular routes to suggest? From picnic areas 6-10, I believe it's like 3 miles down to the 'bottom' of Beach drive, so the run could be down and back. Bike could be down and up to the 'top' twice. Suggestions welcome. Mapping help welcome.
- Anyone know the best ways to get to the picnic areas? Since beach drive is closed to traffic, you can't just go up it in a car. We see cars getting to those picnic areas all the time. Wondering how they get there. Thanks.

POSTED: 7/12/10 11:12 AM

Thanks so far!
Right now we need help with a lot of coordination. Most of our amazing volunteer team will be out that particular weekend. So we'd need help with:
1. Planning for and shopping for the food. I think we (the event folks) can help with that.
2. Planning to bring the coolers, ice, food, drinks, etc.
3. Possibly help getting the club grills there.
4. The usual brick-nic help - setup, cooks, gear watchers, take down.

Some info that would be helpful right now and you can just reply to this post:
- As some of you know Beach Drive is a good place to bike and run. For this Brick-nic, not sure we'll have a particular bike and run course like we did for Columbia. Do you have particular routes to suggest? From picnic areas 6-10, I believe it's like 3 miles down to the 'bottom' of Beach drive, so the run could be down and back. Bike could be down and up to the 'top' twice. Suggestions welcome. Mapping help welcome.
- Anyone know the best ways to get to the picnic areas? Since beach drive is closed to traffic, you can't just go up it in a car. We see cars getting to those picnic areas all the time. Wondering how they get there. Thanks.

POSTED: 7/12/10 4:48 PM

Confirmed: It's Rock Creek Picnic Area 10 - yay! It's a beautiful site.

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 7/12/10 5:11 PM

Picnic area 10 is pretty far up, getting close to the maryland border. because the road is closed to car traffic along beach a little bit north of there, and then south of military, anyone driving would pretty much need to take military road to get there.

Simon, what about doing that loop that you and I did with Lauren B a few months ago-- it looped up beach then over to tacoma and down whatever that other park area is-- I think from Candy Cane city, which is probably just a couple miles north of the picnic area, the loop was around 25 miles or so? I can ask her for the cue sheet. There are a number of road crossings obviously toward the end, but it might be more interesting than up and down beach drive, especially since its really not the safest to be riding along that road much farther south than Tilden because of the windy roads and fast drivers, and that does not give a whole lot of mileage to work with.

H

kristoferkitto's ravatar kristoferkitto    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 59
POSTED: 7/15/10 1:30 PM

Is the evite link not working for anyone else?

Thanks.

Kris

adilks    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 290
POSTED: 7/15/10 1:50 PM

The link works for me, but when it takes me to the Evite page, I'm logged in as someone else and already responded YES. When I log out and re-log in as me, I can't locate the Evite.

Simon, can you please fix the link? Thanks!

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 7/15/10 2:03 PM

Nope, doesn't work for me. I just get a sign in page. Far to confusing for this old Seabee!

POSTED: 7/15/10 2:09 PM

Sorry, had a similar problem last time. This dang internet stuff - to complex for this old soldier.
Does this work?
http://www.evite.com/app/publicUrl/NWXUGLXIENMTGKHMQLIR/bricknic

If so, i'll make changes to the buzz
Other than that, suggestions?

POSTED: 7/15/10 2:11 PM

H thanks for the suggestion. Do you have the link to that route? That was a good one.
Yeah 10 is about 3+ miles up from Pierce Mill on Beach Drive. Nice spot near the creek.

kev7's ravatar kev7    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 440
POSTED: 7/15/10 3:56 PM

Thanks! The link works now. :-)

hppeabody's ravatar hppeabody    JOINED: 9/17/09    POSTS: 192
POSTED: 7/18/10 11:29 PM

Was riding in rock creek on sat and took better note of parking, etc. So the nice thing is that there is a restroom facility just across the street from picnic area ten. Its a pretty decent sized area, its the farthest north picnic site. The road there is open to drive on, you just have to really dodge a lot of bikers and runners-- its not open to cut through though (on weekends)-- anyone driving will basically have to take Military Road, then turn up and its maybe a couple miles beyond that to reach the picnic site. Parking lot holds maybe 20-30 cars? Thats really it for parking so no more than that will be able to drive. Beyond that maybe people could park at pierce mil or by the nature center and bike a few miles over. or just bike from home. This limited number of cars allowed to park means people should do their best to carpool --if everyone just bikes over you probably won't end up with a whole lot of fancy food because that could get tricky to balance on the bike. Just a few things to consider...

Lzlhe    JOINED: 7/6/10    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 7/29/10 3:26 PM

Can someone give some more information about how this works, or point me in the right direction to get more info? I am assuming that it is a bike/run brick, but what are the distances involved? Is this an event for those training for sprints, olympic, or all of the above?

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1655
POSTED: 7/30/10 7:22 AM

Usually a ride up Beach Drive past the Mormon Temple into Maryland and back, maybe 20 miles or so. Then a run of your choice, maybe 3-6 miles. Then a bbq. For training at various distances. No pressure, make it as brisk and long as you want.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1267
POSTED: 7/30/10 8:10 AM

or you can do a Royalty sprint

0.0 mile swim
0.0 mile bike
0.0 mile run
BBQ

It's a no pressure do your own thing kind of thing event and eat/socialize afterward.

Tuan

Lzlhe    JOINED: 7/6/10    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 7/30/10 9:31 AM

Awesome - thanks for the info. Looking forward to it!

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
BRICK-NIC VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!
POSTED: 8/04/10 8:46 AM

CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS!

Hey everyone!

The club is putting on another *fabulous* Brick-Nic in just 10 days and we need YOU to help out!

These events don't work without everyone's help, so if you're planning a taper week, or if you're going to be hungover that day, come socialize with your fellow club members and help out during the Brick-Nic!

Volunteers Needed
Set up: 2
Gear watchers: 2
Cook/grill: 2
Clean up: 2
Sag: someone with a big car!

E-mail me at abby.sanford19 @ yahoo for more details.

Thanks,

Abby

BRICK-NIC FOOD PLANNING!
POSTED: 8/04/10 8:52 AM

As of Wednesday, August 4th, there are almost *65* people signed up for the Brick-Nic! This is sure to be a great event.

Please reconfirm your attendance on the Evite... and then plan to bring the appropriate side items based on your last name.

Consider healthy options for your fellow athletes (except awesome desserts, of course). The Club provides: burgers, hotdogs, healthy meats and veggie options, chips, sports drinks, and water.

Aa-Bu (Aaberg to Buzzo): Drinks (soda, bottled water, etc.)
By-Du (Byam to Duzan): Side - any
Dv-Ha (Dvorak to Hazzard): Dessert
He-La (He to Lazzell): Side - no chips
Le-Mo (Le to Mozingo): Drinks (soda, bottled water, etc.)
Mr-Ri (Mraz to Rizzuto): Side - no chips
Rm-St (Rm to Stys): Vegetarion option (any)
Su-Zy (Su to Zywiec): Dessert

Questions? Allergies? Email me--

abby.sanford19 @ yahoo

Thanks!
Abby

LaurenB82    JOINED: 4/20/10    POSTS: 28
Bike and Run Courses
POSTED: 8/05/10 11:30 AM

Hi all, we've got the bike and run courses all set. Take a look!

Bike Option 1 goes up Beach Drive, around through Kensington, Silver Spring/ Takoma Park, and back into the park through Sligo Creek. 25 miles. See the map here, courtesy of Abby: http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route?r=173127955479922224

Bike Option 2 is to bike 'up and down' Beach drive from the Picnic Site. The site to Viers Mill Park is about 7 miles, then back is 7, down to the 'bottom' of Beach is about 3 miles and back is 3 miles - so a 'circuit' is about 20 miles. You can add a 'down and back' for another 6 miles to make 26 miles.

Run: Run to the 'bottom' of Beach is about 3 miles and back is 3 miles = about 6 miles.
You can add run miles by going further up Beach Drive.

POSTED: 8/09/10 5:21 PM

Hey YOU! DC Tri Club Member! We need more volunteers for the Brick-Nic! There are now over 85 people RSVPed for this event, and a lot of logistics are involved in putting it together to make a successful event for everyone.

SET UP:
I need at least 3 volunteers who have big cars who can receive some equipment this week and bring it to the site by 8 AM on Saturday.

We also still need GEAR WATCHERS, COOKS, a SAG WAGON, and help with CLEAN UP.

Please email me if you can help!!

THANK YOU!!!

abby.sanford19 at yahoo

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria