Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Next Page

Hains Pt. Mornings
CREATED: 03/01/09 by mosered REPLIES: 809
slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
RE: Hains Pt. Mornings
POSTED: 5/18/11 9:57 AM

Anyone riding down there tonight or tomorrow AM? Is it flooded, soggy or miserable? I have a very unhealthy relationship with my trainer and am yearning to ride outside, even if I have to dodge a few lightning bolts.

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 5/18/11 10:16 AM

I rode down there last night and it started off nice but the tide was coming in as I rode. Eventually I had to ride through a pedal deep puddle to cut through the bus parking lot. It may be worse today if it rains much more.

skarpers's ravatar skarpers    JOINED: 5/9/11    POSTS: 33
POSTED: 5/18/11 12:56 PM

I was going to ask the same question. I plan on going down there around 4 today, if this stupid rain ever stops!

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1713
POSTED: 5/19/11 6:05 PM

As of 6 pm tonight, gates are closed but course is clear except for some light debris.

Eric's ravatar Eric    JOINED: 8/18/04    POSTS: 275
POSTED: 5/23/11 2:56 PM

EARLY GROUP: there are people showing up at 5:30a on a regular basis so if you want to jump in at that time, come on down. And if you get there after that but before the 6:30 start just ride backwards to catch the group. Looks like tomorrow should be nice if the skies stay clear.

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 432
POSTED: 5/23/11 10:58 PM

There's a pretty low chance of rain and I'm planning to be out there. Tomorrow's a pretty brutal training day for me and I'd love some company. Let's get faster together.

Biking:
One hour of cruising with 3x10 mins all out (zone 5) built in and 3 mins rest in between. That's 36 mins, so a good portion of the hour. I'm planning to do short loops to keep the rest interval to 3 mins since navigating the turnaround and other stop signs at speed can get a little dangerous if we hit them in the middle of the interval. One short loop to warm up and then we'll get right into the first interval.

Running:
Right at 7:30am or maybe a little before, I've got a 50 min run planned with some pick ups. If you have time to do that, good for you, but I'm going to just do the 5k (one short loop) So I can get into work. Within that 5k, there will be 8x30 sec surges to zone 5 built in along the way. No determined rest interval.

Sounds like fun, right? You betcha! See you out there if it's not actively raining in the morning.

POSTED: 5/24/11 10:32 AM

Wow. As advertised. Thanks to Brian, Phil, Ryan and our NCVC (Myron and Craig) friends who came out to put some good work in.

I've got a swim and track workout tomorrow:
http://dctriclub.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=train.workouts&id=486
and so Thursday's workout is going to be much easier (thank goodness)--steady state with a brick.

Bike: one hour, zone 2-3
Run: 15 mins easy, zone 1-2, just to get the feeling in the legs

If you're looking for the right time to join this group and test it out, this should be a good day. Bring your shoes and a lock to ditch your bike and get in that short run!

Eric's ravatar Eric    JOINED: 8/18/04    POSTS: 275
POSTED: 5/25/11 8:47 AM

Make sure to come out tomorrow and show your love for Patrick by trying to drop him. I can't think of anything he would enjoy more on his birthday! See you out there.

POSTED: 5/25/11 12:26 PM

oh boy. There's some strong interest in putting together some challenging intervals for tomorrow morning. Stay tuned and please post with what you're looking for so we can coordinate interests.

POSTED: 5/25/11 5:28 PM

Hearing no interest for a recovery ride and strong interest for a ride of opposite characteristics, here's the new suggested plan for the morning:

+ 20 min w/u
+ 3 x 1 min hard with 2 min rest between each--just to get the legs going
+ 2 x 1 lap short lap hard. goal is sub-7 min. full lap easy in between.
+ 20 min hard interval
+ 5 x 1 min - pukefest
+ c/d and talk smack

See you out there!

POSTED: 5/31/11 5:19 PM

I've been out of town for a few days, but am headed out to hains point right now to get in some laps and a low cadence, 30 min interval, in particular. Feel free to join me. I'll me on my black cannondale TT bike till about 6:45-7.

POSTED: 6/01/11 4:29 PM

Hi everyone --

As most of you know, I'm one of the volunteer coordinators for the DC Triathlon. Volunteer numbers are down this year and with the race less than 3 weeks out, you can probably guess that I'm getting a little nervous.

I'm focusing really hard on getting course marshals and I need both bike and run course marshals out there and I'm targeting this list and hoping that it will produce some bike course marshals. To sign up as a course marshal, please use this link: http://www.dctri.com/register/course-marshal

If you can help, check the box for bike marshal and then label your affiliation as DC Tri. I will place you with other DC Tri people on the course.

My biggest concern for these races is safety. With the addition of the pro field this year and the speed at which they race (Matt Reed is the biggest name so far but there are several top athletes registered), it adds a new element of difficulty. I want us to have zero incidents.

If you sign up, I'll put you on the course with other DC Tri folks and you can ride to your post which will allow you to get in/out faster.

If you have any questions, please email me at travis dot siehndel at gmail dot com.

Thank you for helping to support this great event!

POSTED: 6/01/11 4:30 PM

And on another note... I'll actually be out there tomorrow morning. If I pass you, you'll be required to volunteer! If you can make Patrick puke, you are off the hook for helping out.

POSTED: 6/01/11 4:57 PM

Sorry to spam this thread -- I should have added that all DC Tri volunteers will be entered in a raffle for free entry into this year's sold out Nation's Triathlon.

And, it's not free, but if you didn't sign up and want in to Nation's, email me and I can give you a code that will get you in AND receive $25 off entry fee.

See you tomorrow.

POSTED: 6/01/11 11:20 PM

Hey folks,

Sorry for the uber late post, especially since I haven't been out the past couple days. Call me boring, but how about another 30 min interval tomorrow morning?

Let's do long loops so anyone off the back (might be me if I'm puking) can jump back on easily and for safety, we'll back off the pace around the stop signs between finishing the long loop and the gate by the golf course to start the next one.

30 mins should be about 2.5 long loops, so one to warm up and then we'll get started. Looking forward to seeing you in the morning.

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
Jason's crash update.
POSTED: 6/02/11 9:20 AM

I wanted to post an update for some of you on my status after the crash this morning. First of all, I ultimately found a small leak on the front tube which was the cause of the crash. I guess I was loosing air the entire time, as i leaned into the turn it rolled under the rim and that was it. The good news is that other than road rash and a little head ache, I should be fine. I ate a bowl of ibuprofen for breakfast. The bad news is that my helmet is destroyed (those of you who saw my head hit knew that, but i was hoping it was not that bad), the Cannondale frame is bent (rear wheel support bar is all jacked up) and my Garmin 310 face is smashed, which probably means it is no longer water proof. I just want everyone out there today to know that I was about to kick all of your asses, but i crashed. There are also some of you who saw me stuggling to keep up and think that I laid the bike down to avoid 4 more laps at that pace...it did cross my mind. Does anyone have experience with Garmin or Cannondale and whether they may help me out?

macoffman's ravatar macoffman    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 54
POSTED: 6/02/11 9:28 AM

Gato, I have a Garmin 310 that I dropped and cracked the glass face on. I called Garmin and they had me ship it to them and fixed it free of charge.

POSTED: 6/02/11 9:31 AM

You just made my day. Plus I just checked and it is still less than a year old.

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/02/11 10:05 AM

Sounds like the bike took all the damage. I'd rather have it the other way around within reason. I never get any good chances to use my health insurance.

Cannondale has a good crash replacement policy from what I've heard. While you are busy spending lots of money, I might suggest a tire replacement too. Life's too short to be using cheap rubber. Get some GP4000s on there.

-Brian

POSTED: 6/02/11 10:24 AM

Just said the same thing about old tires, they were old (all my good stuff goes on the Tri bike), poor old road bike gets used stuff handed down. I will reach out to Cannondale and see what are my options, I do have a 20 year old frame at home, maybe I can bring it back to life. As far as damage to my body vs damage to my equipment, I would take body damage all day long. I have health insureance and the body heals (not as quick as it used to). Thanks Brian.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria