Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Next Page

Hains Pt. Mornings
CREATED: 03/01/09 by mosered REPLIES: 809
nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 420
RE: Hains Pt. Mornings
POSTED: 6/02/11 2:32 PM

@Gato / @Brian - Trust me, gear damage is MUCH better than damage to the body, even with good insurance! As many of you know, I basically had the exact opposite scenario of Jason happened to me. I had virtually no damage to the bike (though a cracked helmet), but a broken collarbone.

@Gato - Not sure what helmet you ride with, but most manufactures will send you a coupon toward your next one. Specialized sent me a 20% off coupon, which I know isn't much more than DC Tri discount at most places, but it's something.

As far as my status - I was hoping to be back out there (or at least doing some solo riding) this week. However after no sign of it mending after 3 weeks, I had a pin put in last week. It was a pretty "routine" procedure and besides a little swelling and soreness, I'm out of the sling and glad that I got it done. I've been on the trainer pretty much throughout, so I'm hoping to be back outside within the next few weeks and possibly back in the hp peloton sucking wheel by month's end if the doc clears me.

@Eric - since I know I missed the T200 reg cut off, I'll let ya know by this wkend about being on the T200 vol squad.

@Travis - I'm planning to head out of town for some R&R the DC Tri wkend, but if my plans change I'll let ya know ASAP for getting on your vol squad.

Stay safe,
Brady

Gato's ravatar Gato    JOINED: 4/25/11    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 6/02/11 3:07 PM

helmet is a Giro, I'll look into the cupon. I thought about my collar bone on the way home and am glad it didn't get fractured. I can only imagine how tough that that type of injury can be. Hope to see you out there on Tues.

pserfass's ravatar pserfass    JOINED: 3/23/09    POSTS: 432
POSTED: 6/06/11 9:45 PM

Well don't worry, there's no 30 min interval tomorrow. Instead, it's 35!

My next race is the DC Triathlon, so if you're racing too, know that the schedule I'm on should prep you pretty well for it. These longer intervals are designed to get your body used to riding at threshold for the whole hour of the bike.

The plan:
1 hour of riding with one 35 min interval zone 4/5 (all out) after we warm up with a short lap.

For the last couple days, 30 mins was turning out to be 2.5 long loops. So this should bring that to 3 solid long loops. We'll slow down around the stop signs at end of the long loops and start accelerating by the golf course (if no cars are crossing) to be full gas again after the gate.

Feel free to cut the top of the long loop short if you need a break and get back into the group.

4 Safety Reminders (Please read):
Save some energy:

+ Please make sure you don't get to your limit while you're pulling. You need to save some energy to watch out for obstacles and signal to the other riders behind you. WHEN IN DOUBT, CALL IT OUT. (Plus you'll need some energy to get back in line and you'll want to be able to do that safely too.)

Pulling off the front:
+ We'll get into single file quickly. After pulling, as you move to the side push your elbow outwards, like a chicken wing, ON THE SIDE THAT YOU WANT THE PERSON BEHIND YOU TO PASS YOU. So if you're pulling off to the left (most likely), wing out your right elbow so the rider behind you knows to come up on your right.

Be smooth and predictable--eyes up ahead:
+ Try to avoid using your brakes except in emergencies. Instead, vary your pedal stroke. Using your brakes makes the people behind you nervous if you're unexpectedly slowing down and it forces them to use their brakes as well because they can't predict your sudden changes in speed. If the first person uses their brakes, then the second person has to use more, the third even more, you get the idea... Instead, keep your eyes up a few riders ahead (like you should in your car on the highway) and watch what the group is doing to anticipate accelerations and decelerations. Then just slow your cadence or pick it up smoothly. Be smooth and predictable.

Don't be a martyr:
+ Some folks might take long pulls. That doesn't mean you have to. Try to keep the pace up where the others have been keeping it (probably between 26 and 28 mph) and then pull off before you get super tired. You'll still get a wicked workout and it will keep the paceline moving well.

Alright, now that we all know how to be safe, let's go out and beat our legs up a little bit. The weather's going to be awesome. See you in the AM!

POSTED: 6/06/11 9:48 PM

Oh yeah, and bring your running shoes. We're running a short lap easy tempo after.

C'mon, this is going to be awesome!

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/06/11 9:59 PM

Nothing pressing at work, so I'll bring a lock and my running shoes.

Anyone can feel free to yell at me about any of the other safety stuff, though I'm not sure I've ever been accused of taking pulls too long yet.

urbanlumberjack's ravatar urbanlumberjack    JOINED: 3/25/09    POSTS: 143
POSTED: 6/06/11 10:00 PM

Staying off the brakes is a biggie. Another slowing method is to raise up and puff up your chest - at these speeds, the wind can be a pretty effective brake without making you too twitchy. Just keep the pedals moving!

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 6/06/11 10:22 PM

Thanks, Patrick. I can't make it tomorrow but those are some great rules for paceline riding.

Now... if only I could keep up with all of you studs.

I hope to see you Thursday but work is probably an issue again.

abbyjs's ravatar abbyjs    JOINED: 4/7/09    POSTS: 699
POSTED: 6/07/11 7:46 AM

Saw the news this morning... any reports from the field? Was HP closed?

Lzlhe    JOINED: 7/6/10    POSTS: 25
POSTED: 6/07/11 7:54 AM

Not sure, other than a guy was shot by a police officer. Here is a link to the news:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/us-park-police-investigate-shooting-of-man-by-officer-at-hains-point-in-southwest-dc/2011/06/07/AGzFZwKH_story.html

The gates were closed and roped off with police tape. There were also police cruisers blocking the entrance to the lower half of the point.

POSTED: 6/07/11 1:12 PM

Pretty annoying this morning...certainly not the place to do a 35 min interval.

I'm planning to do today's workout on Thursday, if anyone's interested.

1 hour riding with one 35 min zone 4/5 (all out) interval. Please see the post from yesterday with some reminders about how to execute this.

See you out there!

POSTED: 6/13/11 9:10 PM

Hey folks,
Alright, getting ready for the race this weekend, here's a much more reasonable interval set:

+ 1 short warm-up lap
+ 3x10 mins zone 5 (all out) with 4 mins easy spin in between. (long laps where we start the interval at the gate and carry it up to the Lincoln until the 10mins are up; the rest of the long lap is the rest period)
+ cool down short lap

short 15 min run after.

see you in the morning and bring your shoes. the weather should be fabulous!

POSTED: 6/15/11 9:06 PM

For tomorrow (if not actively raining at 6):

Taper on the bike:
+1 hour riding with 2 short loops zone 5 (all out)
+45 mins running with 4x3 mins zone 5 and 1 min rest inbetween

POSTED: 6/20/11 9:27 PM

Hey folks,

We might have a surprise guest tomorrow morning
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/06/photos/photos-washington-d-c-triathlon_31670/attachment/dc_triathlon_kmendoza-28
so please come on out and wear your DC Tri gear.

I've got a steady state ride planned, but you know how those go. We'll probably ride mostly steady state long loops with some accelerations built in over the short loop, depending upon what the folks who show up want to do.

Hope to see you all out in the morning!
Patrick

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/20/11 9:37 PM

Will this guy be there tomorrow? He looks fast!
http://triathlon.competitor.com/2011/06/photos/photos-washington-d-c-triathlon_31670/attachment/dc_triathlon_kmendoza-10

rtroll's ravatar rtroll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 498
POSTED: 6/20/11 9:38 PM

If I were to rock out a speedo like this speed demo, can I shave 20 minutes off my Oly time?! Just sayin'

bsull184's ravatar bsull184    JOINED: 2/6/10    POSTS: 283
POSTED: 6/21/11 9:52 AM

I may need a recovery ride to recover from that recovery ride.

nelsb7p0's ravatar nelsb7p0    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 420
POSTED: 6/27/11 5:48 PM

anybody know if the annual 4th of july lockdown of hp is in affect yet?

siehndel's ravatar siehndel    JOINED: 11/25/05    POSTS: 1060
POSTED: 6/27/11 8:17 PM

Brady -- I just returned from a few easy laps at HP and it's still open. It doesn't look like they are preparing to close it up just yet.

slowtwitchva's ravatar slowtwitchva    JOINED: 2/18/10    POSTS: 207
POSTED: 6/27/11 9:36 PM

Anyone riding tomorrow AM?

lieutenantmudd's ravatar lieutenantmudd    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 6/27/11 9:53 PM

Yep.

Previous Page   Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria