Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

Ortho Doc-Shoulders?
CREATED: 11/05/09 by ncordaro REPLIES: 4
ncordaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
Ortho Doc-Shoulders?
POSTED: 11/05/09 8:37 AM

Anyone know a good orthopedic Doc in N. VA area who truly understands shoulder injuries associated with swimming? Thx!

philotri's ravatar philotri    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 253
RE: Ortho Doc-Shoulders?
POSTED: 11/05/09 8:45 AM

I used Dr. Guidi at Nirshl Orthopedic when I hurt my shoulder (partial tear of the rotator cuff) as well as some other injuries. The thing I like about him is that he was willing to use physical therapy as a first approach rather than surgery and that he will let me know whether I could injure myself further by continuing to exercise. If I'm not going to make it worse, he will tell me to continue as long as I can put up with the pain.

morunner66's ravatar morunner66    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 702
POSTED: 11/05/09 10:05 AM

Go see the ortho - but you would likely benefit more from a chiropractor that does Actice Release Technique ( a deep muscle release - ART on the net to find out more info). I go to Dr. Martin Skopp - 1701 belle view blvd, Alexandria VA 703-721-9600. I've been going to him since 2007 which was started with plantar fasciitis - which is now gone - that was a beast to get rid of! He now works on the other associated pains of being over 40 and lazy when it comes to stretching. I've been swimming with a coach for 2 yrs now and so my swimming is up - so Dr. Skopp works on my shoulders - mostly prevention at least a couple times a month. He is really good!

ncordaro    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 11/05/09 10:08 AM

I have gone the ART route. It did wonders for my knee but nothing for my shoulder. I have been going to Dr. David Capps in Alexandria. He is great but was unable to make progress with the shoulder. Thx!

KingsPoint2001's ravatar KingsPoint2001    JOINED: 11/2/09    POSTS: 99
POSTED: 11/05/09 10:32 AM

I have a torn labrum that was diagnosed by a sports medicine doc and he referred me to Dr. Raymond Thal to have him review my scans as well. He was great. He didn't try to talk me into the surgery. He actually took a book out to explain the injury and explain the surgery. He also explain the whole recovery period...and how much time I'd have to take off from running/biking...obviously important! After talking to him, I decided to hold off on the surgery but he might be a good option.

Dr. Raymond Thal
Town Center Orthopaedic Associates

Here is his bio: http://www.towncenterorthopaedics.com/thal.html (former Redskins doc)

Good Luck!
Pete

Previous Page   Page: 1   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria