Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Open Water Swim Practice
CREATED: 04/20/09 by ppgodes REPLIES: 20
ppgodes's ravatar ppgodes    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 83
Open Water Swim Practice
POSTED: 4/20/09 6:02 PM

I see the next Open Water Swim Clinic is 03 May. I'm looking to do something this Saturday Apr 25...if anyone is brave enough to check out the water this time of year. My first event in 04 May -Nanticoke River Tri, and I'm dreading the 60ish water, even with full wetsuit. I was hoping there are some brave individuals who wanted to hop in a body of water somewhere for some early season cold-water training. I'm game if you are!
Paula

erova's ravatar erova    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 4
RE: Open Water Swim Practice
POSTED: 4/20/09 9:03 PM

Hi Paula

I'm also registered for the Nanticoke Tri too and would be up for trying to get in the water.

I will be traveling south that morning of the 25th so maybe an early/morning swim somewhere? I don't know anything about how to schedule open water swims so I'll stay tuned to see if someone who knows something can set something up.

Anyway, wish I could offer more; but I guess I'm voicing that I'd be up for it too!

ncrcoach's ravatar ncrcoach    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1047
POSTED: 4/20/09 10:42 PM

I was just thinking about this topic. Since I get out pretty early on Fridays, I'll be heading to Sandy Point this Friday around 3:30 - 4pm. The air temps are supposed to be in the 70s.

Paula, you should be okay with a full length wetsuit for your triathlon. Many people have heard me say this, but one year I swam Columbia Tri w/o a wetsuit and the water was 62. Yes, I didn't warm up until the bike, but you'll definitely be okay with one. -Hugh

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 4/21/09 10:30 AM

Updated forecast, Sat/Sun: 80-83 degrees.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 4/21/09 10:39 AM

Hugh ... if you can, please give a water report (temp, pullution, fishermen, and whateever else) after you've swam in Sandy Point. I've also been waiting to find a good date to start heading out there. If the water isn't frigid and is somewhat manageable then I'll start going there. I just need a guinee pig to take the first plunge :)

Tuan

nathancurll's ravatar nathancurll    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 22
POSTED: 4/21/09 10:47 AM

Hugh,

I can usually get out pretty early on fridays as well, and would be game for heading out around 330-4. Where is this sandy point? I would like to get in some OWS practice as well.

-Nate

POSTED: 4/21/09 11:57 AM

Sandy Point State Park is the last exit right before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge after Annapolis. Just take route 50 east in Maryland and you cannot miss it. I'll see if I can find a link to the park, but my 'puter skills are less than desired. Actually, I'm probably heading out there Thursday out and back from my work. I'll dip my toes in the water to test the temps.

POSTED: 4/21/09 5:43 PM

Hugh, Nate, "erova" and Tuan,

I finish work at 3:30 on Friday, but I'm driving from Fort Belvoir. I should be able to get there by 5pm I would think.

I'm game if you are...anxious to see what cold water feels like in a wetsuit before I have to do it for real...

Tuan, you should join us. Misery loves company.

All in favor, say "aye."

Paula

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1293
POSTED: 4/21/09 7:57 PM

Paula .. I'd join you kids but I have plans Friday afternoon. I had my share of cold water 3 weeks ago at the Ironman CA 70.3. I'm still recovering from that near death experience :)

Just an FYI though, coming from Fort Belvoir on a warm Friday afternoon that is leading up to a warm weekend might take a bit longer than 90 minutes to get to Sandy Point. Not only are you dealing with Friday traffic on 66/495 but you are also fighting traffic on RT50 with folks going towards Annapolis/Ocean City/other parts of Chesapeake Bay for the weekend.

You'll still make it in time for a swim under the setting sun but be forewarned about traffic :) In the past, on a Friday afternoon it has taken me anywhere from 50 minutes to 90 minutes to get there from Silver Spring. I usually depart from Silver Spring at 3:30 PM.

POSTED: 4/21/09 10:19 PM

I am going to second what dsrunning said about traffic. You would definitely be better off heading to Sandy Point early on the weekends. I work in Bowie and know the Annapolis area fairly well. That Severn River Bridge traffic can be a mess on Fridays. There is a way to beat the Bay Bridge traffic, but that's only after you cross the Severn River Bridge. -hugh

POSTED: 4/21/09 10:21 PM

Oh, I should mention that there is a fee to enter the park depending on which state you live in.

rdejonck's ravatar rdejonck    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 84
POSTED: 4/22/09 7:33 AM

On the fees, since I see that at least one person is coming from Ft. Belvoir, I thought I would mention that park entrance is free with a military ID. At least, it was last summer. That may not still be true. I don't see any mention of it now on the web site.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/sandypoint.html

mosered's ravatar mosered    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1739
POSTED: 4/22/09 9:41 AM

Be careful driving into the park. I got nailed for speeding last year, surprisingly.

trithis73's ravatar trithis73    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 525
POSTED: 4/22/09 11:44 AM

I just got off the phone and yes, as long as there is someone working the gate, military with a military ID, can getinto the park for free.

POSTED: 4/22/09 12:49 PM

Ed, were you driving or riding your bike when that happened?

POSTED: 4/22/09 9:00 PM

I called the park...entry fee during the week (which would include Friday) is $3.

Closes at sunset, which the woman said would be around 8pm.

You're right, traffic may be horrible...I make that trip out of town most weekends to the eastern shore, and I suspect people will want to head out of town since it will be so nice.

I'm willing to try, if anyone else is thinking of doing it.

Another option is sometime over the weekend...

Anyone still thinking of Friday?

Paula

POSTED: 4/23/09 3:14 PM

Paula, I sent you an e-mail about going to Sandy Point on Friday. Let me know if you are going and what time. I'm taking my bike with me and doing a 2-hr bike ride from there. I can either swim first or after I bike. -Hugh

xena's ravatar xena    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 138
POSTED: 4/23/09 3:27 PM

Let me know if you guys go Saturday.
I'll be up in Ft. Meade this weekend, should be an easy drive.

POSTED: 4/23/09 9:08 PM

Hugh...I'll venture up there after work. I don't know what the traffic will be like, but I don't want to hold you up either.

You can call me on my cell - 571-334-6263 and I'll let you know how the trek is going so I don't delay you if it gets late.

Xena, I'm also going to Annapolis on Saturday to see my sister...we're going to some park that has access to a river...thought I'd jump in that too...It will probably be in the afternoon, around 2pm. Feel free to call at the above number if you want to join.

Paula

POSTED: 4/27/09 12:15 AM

I'm going to give a little update on the water temperatures at Sandy Point. Paula and I got to swim there on Friday late afternoon. I read the water temperature was around 58. Wearing a full length wetsuit, it didn't seem too cold after a few minutes in the water. The only issue to me was that we went in at high tide so it was a bit rocky out there. If you have a cold weather swim cap, then you'd be all set. -Hugh

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria