Partner Advertisements
DC Tri Club Forum {dialogue}

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

Roll Call for Lake Anna - Giant Acorn Sprint
CREATED: 08/30/10 by KBRESLIN REPLIES: 33
KBRESLIN    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 62
Roll Call for Lake Anna - Giant Acorn Sprint
POSTED: 8/30/10 9:08 PM

Hi there! Rumor has it there are a couple of tri club members doing the Lake Anna tri. I thought I'd take a poll so we can all sync up.

spleary's ravatar spleary    JOINED: 8/17/10    POSTS: 73
RE: Roll Call for Lake Anna - Giant Acorn Sprint
POSTED: 8/31/10 8:27 AM

Hi,
I joined the club a few weeks back and have been lurking around the message board ;-)

I'll be doing the sprint down at Lake Anna and wouldn't mind meeting some of you.

On a related note, any ideas why it is called the giant acorn?

-Scott

astolz1's ravatar astolz1    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 532
POSTED: 8/31/10 9:31 AM

Just signed up for the International. Got some friends doing the sprint so I'll be doing some cheering on Sunday too.
- Adam

ekmayer's ravatar ekmayer    JOINED: 8/24/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 8/31/10 10:47 AM

I'm also new to the club, just joined about a week ago. I am doing the Sprint and would love to meet up!

- Emily

JoJo's ravatar JoJo    JOINED: 7/6/10    POSTS: 5
POSTED: 8/31/10 10:59 AM

I'm new to the club, too, and might be taking part. Will let you know after Nation's! Joann

jglazer    JOINED: 7/10/10    POSTS: 6
POSTED: 8/31/10 11:07 AM

I am signed up for the sprint. Still debating whether I am going to drive down Saturday night or leave early on Sunday. What are other people doing?

LMR6478's ravatar LMR6478    JOINED: 3/2/09    POSTS: 46
POSTED: 8/31/10 12:13 PM

I'm in for the sprint...will be driving down Sunday early unless someone has a good reason why that's a bad idea.

POSTED: 9/01/10 3:43 PM

I was planning on driving down the Sunday morning too.

What are thoughts on wetsuits? I know it's October so it may be cooling down by then but water temps recently have been high recently (wasn't Iron Girl something like 87????). Combine that with the fact that Lake Anna runs a couple degrees warm because of the Nuclear Plant and it seems like it could still be too warm?

Thoughts? Insider information?

-Scott

ecrandlemire's ravatar ecrandlemire    JOINED: 4/13/10    POSTS: 63
POSTED: 9/01/10 3:49 PM

Not sure about the Sprint, but the Int'l race starts at a reasonable 10am so I'll be driving down Saturday morning.

bde1222's ravatar bde1222    JOINED: 7/13/09    POSTS: 31
POSTED: 9/01/10 10:46 PM

Nuclear plant? That's a fun nugget of information I wasn't aware of before I signed up, will I turn out like Alex Mack or a ninja turtle? I am in for the olympic on Saturday and excited about the 10am start ... will be driving there the morning of.

POSTED: 9/02/10 7:42 AM

From the website:

"This section of Lake Anna is unique in that the water coming into this section is used to cool the power plant and is a good 6-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the lake. The water was 72F in 2006, 77F in 2007, 74F in 2008, and 76 in 2009 which is pretty nice for October!"

With this weather i'd expect the water to still be about 70 in early october, so this water could still be in the 80's??? ....Oh and quite possibly glowing.

dsgrunning's ravatar dsgrunning    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 1311
POSTED: 9/02/10 8:51 AM

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it again ... wear a cup. Can't be too careful these days.

Tuan

bad ford's ravatar bad ford    JOINED: 2/28/09    POSTS: 184
POSTED: 9/02/10 10:48 AM

If you grow fins half way through, is it cheating to use them?

Nate's ravatar Nate    JOINED: 2/23/10    POSTS: 68
POSTED: 9/02/10 2:25 PM

I'll be doing the international!

mwbeck    JOINED: 8/23/10    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 9/02/10 2:35 PM

Just another new guy here. Thinking of doing this race as well although I haven't registered yet. Looking forward to meeting you guys if/when I do though.

POSTED: 9/02/10 2:43 PM

Hey mwbeck! The sprint is full (although there are charity spots, not sure what kind of $ you have to raise or even what charities they are for). Last I checked, the international distance on Saturday is still open.

jbuchovecky    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 10
POSTED: 9/03/10 12:42 PM

Doing the Int'l.

courtpaige3    JOINED: 12/3/09    POSTS: 2
POSTED: 9/03/10 3:51 PM

I compete in water skiing and we have a slalom course on the warm side of Lake Anna that's skied year-round. Water stays in the 70s throughout the winter. I would bet on it being in the 80s in October and pass on the wetsuit -- we don't even wear them to ski that time of year. Haha also no evidence of radiation poisoning in any of us so far.

zubronie's ravatar zubronie    JOINED: 9/21/09    POSTS: 19
POSTED: 9/03/10 5:08 PM

I'm signed up for the OLY and plan on doing it... with hopefully a few more OWS workouts under my belt before the event. Anyone interested in trying to fit one or two in before the 3rd of October? I was thinking about trying to swim at Sandy Point tomorrow.

-Dan

KBRESLIN    JOINED: 1/24/10    POSTS: 62
POSTED: 9/08/10 5:59 PM

Looks like we have a good group! I'm interested in going up the night before to avoid any delays/obstacles on the road, etc. But I could be talked into going the morning of if we can carpool.

If you want to synch up send me your email and I'll send a note to all of us. My email is kimberly.breslin (at) gmail.

Kim

Previous Page   Page: 1 2   Next Page

New Post

Only logged in and active members of the DC Triathlon Club may post messages on the Forum.

Search Terms

Match Criteria